Here it is, first Rotella Gas Truck 5W20 VOA

As promised...

RGT 5W20.JPG

Thank you. The adds look similar to all the other sn+ dexos 1 gen 2 oils

Somebody smarter than me did point out the lab did the UOA ASTM method as they do not perform the "new oil" ASTM test. There is some error in the actual difference between the two tests, but I am not personally aware of what the actual difference is. I think they mentioned it was about 1.5-2.0 numbers, but I can't say that's true with confidence.

I mentioned it in one of the RGT threads- TestOil (and nearly every other lab only perform the ASTM test for used oil), which reports a TBN number 1-2 full points lower than the virgin oil ASTM method. A UOA will give you a more accurate result to see how TBN holds up on this oil. I should have a UOA on RGT 0w20 by October since its running a 6k OCI in an ‘18 Forester.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
I mentioned it in one of the RGT threads- TestOil (and nearly every other lab only perform the ASTM test for used oil), which reports a TBN number 1-2 full points lower than the virgin oil ASTM method. A UOA will give you a more accurate result to see how TBN holds up on this oil. I should have a UOA on RGT 0w20 by October since its running a 6k OCI in an ‘18 Forester.

My F250 has a belly full of RTG 5W-30 right now
Got a blackstone kit ready for about the same time

The thing I want to know, and the bottle and Shell website info are silent on, is the bottle states "All Mileage". Does this mean the RTG has high-mileage additives in it (extra seal conditioners, etc etc) or are they effectively saying "just buy more when it leaks on your driveway since our protection is so good"?

The thing I want to know, and the bottle and Shell website info are silent on, is the bottle states "All Mileage". Does this mean the RTG has high-mileage additives in it (extra seal conditioners, etc etc) or are they effectively saying "just buy more when it leaks on your driveway since our protection is so good"?

My take is that Shell just wants to offer a single product per viscosity under its Rotella Gas Truck brand. Conside how many different variations of 0w-20 Mobil 1 produces:

Advanced Fuel Economy
High Mileage
Extended Performance
Extended Performance High Mileage
Annual Protection

I feel like Shell wants to keep things simple with Rotella Gas Truck, labeling it as an all mileage product conveys that it can be used in any age or mileage circumstance. I have seen a lot of market research that shows that many people, males in particular, do not to have to decide between an abundance of choices like in a grocery store for example. They don't want to have to go into a grocery store and chhose between 30 different brands of ketchup, with some brands having multiple variations of their ketchup. Many people love shopping at Aldi because they are not innundated with choices, they just get Aldi brand ketchup and go.

Have a listen to the Jimmy Buffett song Fruitcakes and hopefully that will help make sense of it all.

I think the real reason people shop at Aldi is ketchup is essentially ketchup, and they get it at Aldi's for about 1/3 of the price as at the Evil Empire. I know I would (and do) personally drive 20 miles to avoid spending my money with the devils of Bentonville. I only buy oil from them, and only because it's 67% of the cost of our 5 local parts stores.

I think the real reason people shop at Aldi is ketchup is essentially ketchup, and they get it at Aldi's for about 1/3 of the price as at the Evil Empire. I know I would (and do) personally drive 20 miles to avoid spending my money with the devils of Bentonville. I only buy oil from them, and only because it's 67% of the cost of our 5 local parts stores.

I totally agree !!
I only buy oil and filters from Wally China mart

Back