Picked up an Element

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, found this one owner Element EX AWD with side airbag option in my neighborhood while riding the bike recently. Seems like a fair price for $1200.

Pros: no rust, cold a/c; no hitch (presumably no hauling), trans shifts good, K24 still smooth with 233k, great stock stereo

Cons: Needs windshield, o2 sensor, suspension has clunks, may need VTEC solenoid

I have begun to do basic things, new cabin and air filters, oil change, NGK Iridium plugs go in this weekend and will order a Denso o2.

83B307AE-0E5A-467B-AF16-401661AFFCA3.jpeg

D0F52D9E-14B1-42AD-BED3-AD9B7B826F9C.jpeg

24B529F6-7D91-4143-B893-B4DABC98DB00.jpeg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JC1
Congrats. When was the timing belt last changed?

The K series is chain driven
smile.gif

For me not the best looking vehicle on the road, but they are very versatile .
One of the guys at work had one his only complaint was not the greatest on gas.
It looks good in the pics ! i think you did very well for $1200

Originally Posted by Dohc98vteC
Originally Posted by JC1
Congrats. When was the timing belt last changed?

The K series is chain driven
smile.gif

Good to know. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Dohc98vteC
I have begun to do basic things, new cabin and air filters, oil change, NGK Iridium plugs go in this weekend and will order a Denso o2.

Drain and fills for the trans on these only per Honda. I'd also replace the pcv valve with an oem unit. Even if the old one still rattles. Many times the internal spring will break around the 60k mark. Which can lead to oil consumption.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
$1200 ? You stole it.
Have fun with it!

And at 233K he'll be putting more money into that what he paid for it. But it looks like it is in great shape for the miles and it could be on the road for a very long time. I was looking at these almost 10 years back and was very interested when there was a rumor the European Honda diesel engine could be put in it. But apparently it couldn't meet US emissions. Still, after all these years have a little regret I didn't get one.

Good luck with the new Element. You got a deal. I always thought they were practical, but I never knew why their fuel mileage was poor compared to other Hondas. It must be the added weight, the gearing and/or the poor aerodynamics.

I have a 2003 with a manual transmission. Most reliable vehicle I have owned and it suits my needs. Denso sensor is the way to go. I would recommend replacing the sway bar bushings and control bar links if they have not been changed recently. Honda parts $100 and your labor.

Here is video about VTEC solenoid if it throws a code.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=mu5UtzDhoo4

Good luck!

Great steal. Suspension clunks are normal; you'll fix them and still have sounds but everything will be solid, in my experience with my 2005 CR-V.

Never had a vehicle so hard on windshields - not at all surprised it needs one.

UD

We have an 04 Element in the family and it's on it's 3rd windshield and 6th knock sensor. Other than that no complaints.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back