Is using your wipers often promotes longevity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it does, I use my wipers everyday, and so far they work good. They don't get "stuck" on one side, and it prevents the buildup of dirt on the blade, if you never use your wipers except for rain, then they are stuck in one direction and dirt builds up and eats them on next use.

What if weather that's the opposite of rain degrades the rubber?

sun?

ozone?

I think it helps but I also believe the sun hurts them more than anything. I had the original wipers on my Corvette for 17 years before they were replaced. Most of the time the car sits in the garage.

I use mine as little as possible. The reason being is that every day there's a buildup of city grit and grime. Long-term it saves your windshield from becoming too scratched and giving a clouded distorted view. I tend to keep my vehicles for a long time. As far as longevity, I figure the less they're used the longer they'll
give a cleaner wipe.Summertime I use metal frames with dealer refills. Winter I Iike Denso designers.

The wipers on my 2015 Jeep have never been turned on. They may not even work for all I know. The rubber on the wiper blades still feels soft and pliable. Both front and rear.

Originally Posted by billt460
The wipers on my 2015 Jeep have never been turned on. They may not even work for all I know. The rubber on the wiper blades still feels soft and pliable. Both front and rear.

Funny you say that, I think I used the wipers twice on my 2016 Jeep. The rubber is perfect on the wipers.

I don't use my Wipers often / they last 7-8 years.

I like a clean Windshield / mirrors and (manually) clean them often.
I clean the wipers off with alcohol and it turns the rag black (rubber dissolving ?)

I try to avoid using them on a dry windshield, I hate the judder,so I wait until the rain soaks the glass and the blades. I use the lowest speed possible. Don't forget to turn on the head lights
grin2.gif

Interesting theory. Couldn't prove it by me. First, I replace my wiper blades annually, whether they need replacement or not. I absolutely despise wiper blades that skip, squeak, chatter, streak, etc. Second, I use the wipers no more often than needed. And they get cleaned with alcohol on a regular basis.

I guess I have a love/hate relationship with wiper blades. I despise everything about having to use them. Even seeing them go back and forth across the windshield bothers me. But if I really need them, I love having a set that is in great shape and ready to perform their task.

It drives me nuts to get into someone else's car and the wiper blades are falling apart. So new wiper blades each year is a cheap investment on being ready when I do have to use them.

So, I'll never know the answer to your question. And frankly, would never want to have to use the wipers on a daily basis to find out.

This could only be a BITOG thread. There was a post a few years back from someone that got banned from the dealer for requesting they not turn his car off so the starter wouldn't get worn out.

Originally Posted by dishdude
This could only be a BITOG thread. There was a post a few years back from someone that got banned from the dealer for requesting they not turn his car off so the starter wouldn't get worn out.

Part of me is glad engineer20 isn't on here anymore. Part of me wishes he still was for the entertainment.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Originally Posted by dishdude

Part of me is glad engineer20 isn't on here anymore. Part of me wishes he still was for the entertainment.

I wonder how his investment of flipping the Concorde worked out
lol.gif

I think keeping them clean is more important than using them. Also depends on how the car is stored. If it is parked in the shade or a garage they will last much longer than if it bakes out in the sun all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back