Any fellow CBers here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is CB as regulated now as it was decades ago? I remember back in the 70's you had to take a test or have a license to talk on a CB radio. That was eliminated a few years later I think. Do people use power boosters to extend range or is that still illegal? Are there any improvements over radios from years ago? Like touch screens, integration with nav systems, etc.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Is CB as regulated now as it was decades ago? I remember back in the 70's you had to take a test or have a license to talk on a CB radio. That was eliminated a few years later I think. Do people use power boosters to extend range or is that still illegal? Are there any improvements over radios from years ago? Like touch screens, integration with nav systems, etc.

No test but I believe you are limited to something like 4watts of power.

Linear amplifiers are still in widespread use and readily available if someone wants to use one even though 4 watts AM and 12 watts on sideband are what is legal. The use of linear amplifiers on the 11 meter band is still illegal though I don't believe the FCC is doing much in the way of enforcement for illegal use of linear amplifiers. Channel 6 is known as the super bowl as that is where you can hear the really high power stations.

One of my friends has a 500 watt linear on his CB and he can't key up if he's near a restaurant with a drive-thru.

I had a 200 watt linear in my car for a day but when I would key up the little LCD on my gauge cluster would glitch out. Ended up returning it.

Originally Posted by cwilliamsws6
One of my friends has a 500 watt linear on his CB and he can't key up if he's near a restaurant with a drive-thru.

I had a 200 watt linear in my car for a day but when I would key up the little LCD on my gauge cluster would glitch out. Ended up returning it.

You could mount a Moonraker 4 on the CR-V and reach new horizons ...
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by FFeng7
Originally Posted by Rob_Roy
I have a Uniden Washington out in the shop with a base station antenna. It easily talks to other base stations 25-30 miles away, and I have made quite a few skip contacts with it also. An AM-only CB is fine for a mobile, but if you really want to start making more contacts I suggest getting a unit with SSB and setting up a base station at home.

I haven't played with the CB's much since I got my ham ticket, but I still get on once in a while. Most of the time I talk on the Kenwood 2 meter radio in my Expedition.

What kind of base antenna are you using? I've been thinking of a eBay dipole in a tree or maybe in the Attic of my garage.

I used an Imax 2000 until a wind storm damaged it. I replaced it with a Tram 1498 antenna, which is very similar to the Antron 99.

Thank you for the info. I'm trying to set up something that is not so visible. I don't have a HOA or anything to deal with. Just a wife and not wanting to much of a antenna.

You can paint the fiberglass vertical antennas so they are less noticeable. A dipole will work also, but you will have to play with it to get it setup properly.

FFeng7 said:
Rob_Roy said:
I have a Uniden Washington out in the shop with a base station antenna. It easily talks to other base stations 25-30 miles away, and I have made quite a few skip contacts with it also. An AM-only CB is fine for a mobile, but if you really want to start making more contacts I suggest getting a unit with SSB and setting up a base station at home.

I haven't played with the CB's much since I got my ham ticket, but I still get on once in a while. Most of the time I talk on the Kenwood 2 meter radio in my Expedition.

What kind of base antenna are you using? I've been thinking of a eBay dipole in a tree or maybe in the Attic of my garage.

You can paint the fiberglass vertical antennas so they are less noticeable. A dipole will work also, but you will have to play with it to get it setup properly.

Would having a dipole in the Attic affect it's performance greatly? I've been reading up on them and other antennas alot lately. Seems reviews are all over the place. I guess environmental conditions plays a pretty big role in antenna performance.

Would having a dipole in the Attic affect it's performance greatly? I've been reading up on them and other antennas alot lately. Seems reviews are all over the place. I guess environmental conditions plays a pretty big role in antenna performance.

If you don't have a metal roof I think it would work alright. The nice part is that it would not cost a lot of money to find out.

FFeng7 said:
Rob_Roy said:

The tuning may be off from interaction with anything else in the attic. There will be attenution through wood, shingles, etc.

Most CB'ers use a vertical antenna. Your attic dipole will likely be horizontal. Broadside, it will radiate a horizontally polarized wave, moving more towrd vertical polarization off the ends. With ground wave propagation, there can be up to 20 dB of cross polarization loss between a vertical and horizontal antenna, but in practice there are a whole lot of things that can affect this. Vertical or horizontal polarization is irrelevant to signals coming off the ionosphere - it jumbles the polarization.

There are RF exposure limits. If you are running legal CB power, that likely would not be an issue even with an attic mount antena. If you are using illegal power, as many CB'ers do, you may want to do the math.

An attic antenna is lots better than no antenna at all.

Thank you for the information. Attic mounted horizontal dipole will likely be the first place to mount it. It would be possible to hang vertical in a tree as well but I would like to keep it out of sight. I do not have any special CB or anything. Just a couple of older 40 channel stock units. I don't really know how much local traffic I will be able to even have contacts with around here. I've never had any luck talking skip with the unit mounted in my vehicle but thought if I had a larger antenna it would be possible to at least listen. Maybe one day I can get a SSB unit and a proper base antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back