Box of used wiper blades. Any value, or throw out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since nobody seems to sell just the rubber inserts any more (except maybe Honda), you have to replace the whole blade even if just the rubber is worn out. I must have over 50 of them saved up, with excellent metal frames but worn or torn rubber. Are they worth anything, or should I just toss them?

If you couldn't buy just the rubber back when you replaced them what makes you think you will be able to in the future?

Rock Auto sells inserts for certain applications. Even so, 50 of them seems a bit like hoarding, maybe keep the best set for each of your vehicles and toss out the rest.

Toss.

Toyota and Lexus dealers near me still sell rubber inserts.

Originally Posted by madRiver
I love Honda inserts. Don't be a hoarder throw those out.

HAHA, you should see all the empty shipping boxes I have piled in one room. Gotta list more stuff on Ebay.

Rubber inserts with a metal wire to keep them straight are usually good and expensive. They last a long time.
The fronts don't ever last beyond 2 yrs - its no different all brands are the same, the longer the span the more wrapped the rubber gets and if parked outside they may last no more than a yr.

Originally Posted by atikovi
HAHA, you should see all the empty shipping boxes I have piled in one room. Gotta list more stuff on Ebay.

Makes great fire. My hoarder relative had house fire and all her boxes and junk really burned the place up. Unfortunately she closed doors in room so did not burn the place down so she hangs onto the Smokey junk.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Napa still sells the inserts. But the supply they have is dwindling.

For how much? I can get the complete name brand blades for about $3.50

I have completely given up on both OEM and aftermarket rubber wipers, all my cars now have PIAA Super Silicone wipers. Some are over two years old and none are chattering or streaking. No, I don't work for them or sell them but they have worked great for me so far.

I too keep a stash of wiper blades. It's amazing how many good blades are thrown out in the trash outside the auto parts store. I believe people replace blades when either a good cleaning of the blade is needed or the glass needs a good polish. I'm pretty good at transferring the inserts.

This it BITOG, you should be proud of this "stash". You should save them because you never know when you might break a wiper blade frame and you'll be glad you have them. It's cheap insurance.

Originally Posted by Kestas
I too keep a stash of wiper blades. It's amazing how many good blades are thrown out in the trash outside the auto parts store. I believe people replace blades when either a good cleaning of the blade is needed or the glass needs a good polish. I'm pretty good at transferring the inserts.

+1 This.

Sell them on Ebay, Craiglist or Facebook marketplace. One man's junk is another's treasure. Someone may make art out of them or statues.

I keep only one set of old wipers (ok but with a little streak) for emergency. Many years ago my Jeep's driver side wiper flew off! The car was under warranty and they told me one week to replace them since they were busy ... I said this is emegency, can I come in for a quick replacement and dealer said no ... that was the last time I touched any Chrysler. lol

Wow, I wonder when we're going to get the same question on a box of used bubble gum. Only half chewed!

Before selling me my Toyota as "CPO," the dealership installed new Toyota branded wiper blades. I assumed they were same as the original blades, so I last year bought new OE genuine Toyota refills (the rubber part only). When I later needed to install those new Toyota refills, I discovered they're incompatible with the Toyota blades that I got with the car, because the width of the metal strip is different. Ridiculous! So now I have leftover good used blades, and leftover never-used refills that don't fit them, so had to buy aftermarket blades anyway. The refills in the aftermarket blades would fit my leftover Toyota blades, which appear to be better quality.

It's annoying that refills became hard to find. Forcing us to replace entire blades every time the rubber wears out is more profitable, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back