New (to me) 2016 Accord Sport

My 2007 Infiniti G35x was a really great car (had it from 42k to 140k miles) but the last 10k miles were getting increasingly expensive maintenance-wise. I wanted to move to something cheaper in general for a while.

After considering a few options, I test drove the Accord. I was skeptical because from past experience (usually rentals from different OEMs and QX60 service loaners) I was very anti-CVT but there's nothing about this CVT that I can't live with.

I purchased it from CarMax (great experience) with a little over 13k miles. Still has some of the Honda powertrain warranty and a CarMax warranty out to 100k. I've never bought extended warranties but CarMax's was really cheap and I've heard good things about it. It can be used at the Honda dealer as well.

It has Honda Sensing which has taken some getting used to but I've enjoyed it so far. Looking at other 16-17 Accords on the used market it seemed like there's not many of this generation with Sensing out there. Anyone have any idea how popular this option was?

Any issues I should keep an eye out for?

Any oil recommendations? Does Honda still recommend a filter change every other OCI? It seems cheap enough to just change the filter every time. Planning on a CVT fluid change at 30k. Looking forward to how easy it appears this is to work on.

I'll be getting a set of snow wheels/tires. My understanding it that the Sport and Touring models have larger front brakes so I need at least a 17" to clear them. Anyone have recommendations for winter wheels on this? I was thinking either of finding some 17" take-offs from another Accord or possibly one of Tire Rack's aftermarket alloy combos.

So far I've put about 800 miles on it and I've really enjoyed the car! I miss the speed of the Infiniti but the Honda has still been surprisingly fun to drive.

Here's some quick pictures. The PO must've loved to keep their car "clean" as the paint is already swirl city. I will be correcting this shortly and sticking to hand-washes.

IMG_20190715_203059.jpg

IMG_20190715_153310.jpg

IMG_20190715_153323.jpg

Thanks! Good eye on the sig. It's the 2.4L 4 cylinder "Earth Dreams" (Direction Injection). The "Sport" adds 4 (yes four) HP over the same engine in the other trim levels.

That's a beautiful car!! Same color as mine! I think it's be best looking body style. What exactly makes the sport different from the EX-L? I noticed the dual exhaust. Is it the K24 engine??

Nice car, I'm fond of that body style accord.

Assuming it's the K24 it's will be a fantastic car and last forever. Any 0w20 will do well. I personally like QSUD for the high moly content.

Enjoy!

I had 3 of those. 2013, 2016 and 2017. You will love that car.
The Sport is the LX with better interior, 19" wheels, better tires, better suspension, dual exhaust.
In 2017 (last year) you could get leather, which was nice.
Sensing added $1,000 to the price of the car, I believe.

Oil service couldn't be easier. Filter is right in front; oil drain plug is the standard 17MM Honda.
No reason to over torque it!
I would use the XG7317 and 0w20 M1.
I serviced the CVT on our 2013; easy peasy. I did use Honda H2 fluid (I think that is what it is called).

You will love that car.

Super nice car backed with Honda's high residual value

Our CRV has identical drivetrain combo

You'll enjoy that car

Best looking Accord body style IMO. Yes Honda says you can run 2 OCI on one oil filter. I did that one time because they were out of XG7317. Its a really solid car you've got there!

Nice car
smile.gif

The right-side camera is awesome!

The CVT is fine and will give you long life with no problems. Autozone has Castrol CVT fluid on sale right now for $6/qt.Amazon has it for slightly less, $35 for the case of 6.

Any 0w20 will work fine. Yes, Honda does specify the oil filter be done every other OCI, but I agree that it's cheap and easy enough to replace it every OCI. The OEM A02 is a Fram PH7317, which means a PH7317 can handle 2 OCI's, as in what the MM suggests.

Yeah, the minder is awesome. Tells you when it's time to change the oil, ATF, air and cabin filters, spark plugs, and coolant. The only thing the MM doesn't cover is brake fluid, which Honda says to replace every 3 years regardless of mileage. Speed bleeders are awesome
smile.gif

For the wheels, I like the Radius brand from TR because they are a good price and made in Italy by Fondmetal. The 17-inc Radius W102 and Dunlop Winter MAxx seems like a good package
smile.gif

Speaking of tires, the good news is that your Accord uses indirect TPMS, so you don't have to buy expensive TPMS sensors
happy2.gif

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
the good news is that your Accord uses indirect TPMS, so you don't have to buy expensive TPMS sensors
happy2.gif

How are those different from other tpms sensors?

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
the good news is that your Accord uses indirect TPMS, so you don't have to buy expensive TPMS sensors
happy2.gif

How are those different from other tpms sensors?

Direct TPMS is the one where they're inside the tire; and you have to replace them every time you get new tires
mad.gif

Indirect TPMS relies on the wheel speeds. If one of them is spinning faster than the others, it knows that the diameter is smaller, which indicates less air and thus lower pressure. These sensors are not inside the tire, which means you don't have to spend an extra $40 per tire to replace them

I'm planning to keep this one for quite a while so it's great to see all these positive comments on the Accord!

That's a beautiful car!! Same color as mine! I think it's be best looking body style. What exactly makes the sport different from the EX-L? I noticed the dual exhaust. Is it the K24 engine??

JeffKeryk covered most of what makes the Sport different. Being just a step up from the LX it's a fairly basic car with a lot of the changes being cosmetic. I think it also has a slightly different steering ratio and is the only way to get the San Marino Red in a sedan (also really liked this color). It has faux carbon fiber dash inserts and paddle shifters that make the transmission emulate fixed gear ratios.

Yes, this is the K24 - techincally the K24W.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Nice.

Thieves love these Accord 5 star wheels so park it in garage.

I am a bit worried about that. I will make sure to park in the garage. I did notice it has wheel locks installed, but my understanding is that these barely slow down the thieves. I have been on high alert driving on Michigan roads since I don't have nearly as much sidewall to absorb the impact of our craters.

Nice car
smile.gif

The right-side camera is awesome!

The CVT is fine and will give you long life with no problems. Autozone has Castrol CVT fluid on sale right now for $6/qt.Amazon has it for slightly less, $35 for the case of 6.

Any 0w20 will work fine. Yes, Honda does specify the oil filter be done every other OCI, but I agree that it's cheap and easy enough to replace it every OCI. The OEM A02 is a Fram PH7317, which means a PH7317 can handle 2 OCI's, as in what the MM suggests.

Yeah, the minder is awesome. Tells you when it's time to change the oil, ATF, air and cabin filters, spark plugs, and coolant. The only thing the MM doesn't cover is brake fluid, which Honda says to replace every 3 years regardless of mileage. Speed bleeders are awesome
smile.gif

For the wheels, I like the Radius brand from TR because they are a good price and made in Italy by Fondmetal. The 17-inc Radius W102 and Dunlop Winter MAxx seems like a good package
smile.gif

Speaking of tires, the good news is that your Accord uses indirect TPMS, so you don't have to buy expensive TPMS sensors
happy2.gif

The recommendations on the FRAM XG/PH7317 are good to know. I was preparing to try to source the A02 Honda filters (assuming the A02 is still better than A01) but the Frams should be easier to find.

I was also VERY happy to find out the Accord uses indirect TPMS. I'll check out the Radius W102. I had Dunlop WinterMaxxes on my Infiniti - great tire!

What's everyone's favorite oil in the K24 engine?

Also wondering about this! I usually took advantage of the Mobil 1 oil/filter rebate with my old car but I'm open to other brands especially if I'm getting a different filter anyway.

The M1-110 filter works great in these engines, along with M1AFE or M1EP 0w-20. With the rebate it's a little cheaper than a Fram Ultra. You can replace the filter every other oil change if you are using the MM.

Last edited:
For cars with an OLM like Honda, I like to use the cheapest synthetic on sale. You can often get Napa synthetic for $3-4/qt. I like the individual quart bottles for cars that take less than 5 quarts because the leftover oil will be in a smaller bottle rather than a big jug, and the quarts are also easier to pour.

The best cabin filter for your Accord seems to be the Mann FP2358. It's their new Frecious Plus with charcoal to help with odors plus another layer to help with mold. If you can't obtain one, another good cabin filter is the Micronair HN03104C, a charcoal cabin filter made in the US. Micronair is the OE supplier, but Honda doesn't offer a charcoal cabin filter from the dealer. However, it doesn't have the mold layer that the Mann FP has.

For cars with an OLM like Honda, I like to use the cheapest synthetic on sale. You can often get Napa synthetic for $3-4/qt. I like the individual quart bottles for cars that take less than 5 quarts because the leftover oil will be in a smaller bottle rather than a big jug, and the quarts are also easier to pour.

The best cabin filter for your Accord seems to be the Mann FP2358. It's their new Frecious Plus with charcoal to help with odors plus another layer to help with mold. If you can't obtain one, another good cabin filter is the Micronair HN03104C, a charcoal cabin filter made in the US. Micronair is the OE supplier, but Honda doesn't offer a charcoal cabin filter from the dealer. However, it doesn't have the mold layer that the Mann FP has.

I already bought a Honda cabin air filter (engine filter too) but will add the Mann and Micronair to my list for the future. Is there any concern about carbon buildup due to the DI in these?

I'd be on the lookout on CL or FB market place for some cheaper wheels to put on for the winter months. That's when the potholes are at their worst. Plus MI roads are terrible. You don't want a bent rim. Not to mention having the wheel corrode from the elements if left on during winter.

Back