Hyundai observation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Girlfriend and I used Lyft over the weekend. The girl who picked us up drove an older Hyundai Santa Fe. I'm guessing it was a lower end model because it didn't have dual exhaust. I must say,that was the smoothest,quietest,most comfortable vehicle I've ever been in. Rode like a dream. Felt very refined and precision. Couldn't hear the engine and no road noise at all.

The Lyft app was awesome too!! It showed exactly where she was,a picture of her with her name,and a picture of her vehicle. Then a map popped up on the phone's screen showing her route,esitimated time till she arrived,all in real time. Pretty sweet!!

I had one years ago as a rental out of PHX for a week and really liked it. Just like you described and I was pleasantly surprised.

Lucky you. Every Hyundai I've been in felt like the frame was going to fall of the suspension over highway bumps.

The wife's 2013 Santa Fe, approaching 200K miles still rides pretty well too. Not like new but still very quiet and compliant. I'd guess most S/CUVs are as well.

We picked up a couple of Tucsons at work to replace our nearly new Foresters (that turned out to be a disaster) and I have been impressed. Drive very nice, smooth and quiet at least at city speeds. Reliability has been much better too.

Rented a Sante Fe in Iceland earlier this year. I was impressed. I would definitely get one. and I'd love to have the diesel engine that our rental had!

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Girlfriend and I used Lyft over the weekend. The girl who picked us up drove an older Hyundai Santa Fe. I'm guessing it was a lower end model because it didn't have dual exhaust.....

It Was the 4 cylinder version, is why it didn't have the dual exhaust tips.

Originally Posted by Propflux01
Girlfriend and I used Lyft over the weekend. The girl who picked us up drove an older Hyundai Santa Fe. I'm guessing it was a lower end model because it didn't have dual exhaust.....

It Was the 4 cylinder version, is why it didn't have the dual exhaust tips.

Doesn't follow. My 2013 SFS 2.0T has 4 cyl and dual tips.

But some later years do not. Dual tips does not mean true dual exhaust.

It is as much a styling statement than a performance consideration.

BTW - no problems in 76K miles - a great car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Pew
Lucky you. Every Hyundai I've been in felt like the frame was going to fall of the suspension over highway bumps.

Not the last 3 years ....go test drive one. They have come a VERY VERY far way.

I was a bit skeptical about Hyundai but I took a SantaFe for a test drive in 07. Within a half mile of driving I knew that I wanted to buy the car. It was so smooth and rode like a big car. The car now has about 175,000 miles on it drives like the day I bought it. I have also purchased a 2017 SantaFe and a 2016 Tucson Ultimate. They are great vehicles. I have driven many competing vehicles and I always find them falling short of the Hyundais.

very pleased with girlfriends preowned 2018 kia optima replacing her oil guzzling 2013 malibu 2.5 only 63 thou on it, overall kia is a much better car so far, but time will tell!

I must say,that was the smoothest,quietest,most comfortable vehicle I've ever been in.

Was this the first vehicle you've ever been in?
lol.gif

All jokes aside, they are nice vehicles but I doubt I would make that proclamation about one.

Originally Posted by dishdude
All jokes aside, they are nice vehicles but I doubt I would make that proclamation about one.

I readily admit I am a Hyundai/Kia fanboy, I have to agree with this.
I do think they are quiet, smooth and more comfortable than many vehicles in the same price range (or a little higher), but not the smoothest and most comfortable I have ever been in.

Originally Posted by dishdude
I must say,that was the smoothest,quietest,most comfortable vehicle I've ever been in.

Was this the first vehicle you've ever been in?
lol.gif

My car is realllly comfortable. It's the reason I bought it.

World's more comfortable than a Malibu or Camry. I sat in a new Fusion too, the center console is in the way of your right leg, uncomfortable.

A coworker went with me to lunch and started cracking up, he has a newer Maxima and said it isn't near as big as my car is inside.

Bought a 2019 Tucson for my daughter. First hyundai we ever owned. its got 6k miles on it now. still very tight and no rattles. have not needed to use the warranty yet. we like it so much we are in the market for a ioniq for my son to drive to college .

Originally Posted by Pew

You need to go test drive one. I just tested the new Kia Telluride (think Sorento on roids...‚), holy smokes do I want one. This thing is solid. It's very nice inside (fit/finish) and out.. the ride and power are impressive for a vehicle in that price range. The Hyundai Palisade is it's sibling but I prefer the Telluride's slightly different styling... especially the blk w/chrome on blk rims.

Hopefully in a couple years, give or take, I'll pick one up off lease as a CPO.

Edmunds 8.4/10
Car & Driver 4.5/5

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by Pew

You need to go test drive one. I just tested the new Kia Telluride (think Sorento on roids...‚), holy smokes do I want one. This thing is solid. It's very nice inside (fit/finish) and out.. the ride and power are impressive for a vehicle in that price range. The Hyundai Palisade is it's sibling but I prefer the Telluride's slightly different styling... especially the blk w/chrome on blk rims.

Edmunds 8.4/10
Car & Driver 4.5/5

Just googled both. How can these be sister ships the Telluride looks great but the Palisade is completely hideous, front end looks like a space alien or something?

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

Edmunds 8.4/10
Car & Driver 4.5/5

Just googled both. How can these be sister ships the Telluride looks great but the Palisade is completely hideous, front end looks like a space alien or something?

Lol.. yeah, I don't know what they were thinking on the Palisade. It's the front end I mostly don't like too. I mean it's not horrid (I've seen worse) but it's def' not as good looking as the Telluride IMO.

As for being siblings, they share the same frame and powertrain. (3.8L V6, 8sp automatic) Trim levels are different until you get to fully decked out, then they have more in common inside. Fully loaded you're looking at about $45k.

Palisade on top, Telluride on bottom.
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Girlfriend and I used Lyft over the weekend. The girl who picked us up drove an older Hyundai Santa Fe. I'm guessing it was a lower end model because it didn't have dual exhaust. I must say,that was the smoothest,quietest,most comfortable vehicle I've ever been in. Rode like a dream. Felt very refined and precision. Couldn't hear the engine and no road noise at all.

The Lyft app was awesome too!! It showed exactly where she was,a picture of her with her name,and a picture of her vehicle. Then a map popped up on the phone's screen showing her route,esitimated time till she arrived,all in real time. Pretty sweet!!

This past weekend I rented a 2019 Sonata SE.

Man it felt like heaven and the shifts were like a CVT although it is a automatic and the ride was extremely refined (my 60K investment and Euro engineering could ask for more in the transmission department). From morning start to evening the shifts were like butter - they have come a long way in quality and reliability. My local mechanic swears by the brand and all his kids (3 kids) drive a Hyundai and obviously maintained by him - curiously I asked him the vehicle he hates to get into his shop - Audi and then asked him next in line was a MB (I was numb since I need to find a new mechanic for my investment).!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back