Why Don't You Like To Change Your Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm one of those guys who looks forward to changing my oil. If I see one of my cars is close to the mileage for an oil change, I will drive that one so I can change the oil quicker. I'm pretty anal about the mileage. I'm gonna be within a 100 miles either way.

I'm figuring some of you don't like to personally change your oil. You take it and have someone else do it. My son doesn't like to change his own oil but he does. With his cars there is a lot of taking apart of all that stuff underneath to get to the oil filters and
I understand. It is a real pain. Screws and bolts and you don't remember which one goes back where.

For those of you that don't like to personally change your own oil, what is it you don't like? Even if you still change it, what is it that grates your nerves?

The only thing is crazy placed filters. I love Hondas and Acuras but those 80's and 90's filters on the back of the engine... Sheesh. Makes a mess.
And of course the overtightened filter.
And of course cross threaded and overtightened drain plugs.

All good.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

Wait, you overtighten and cross thread your own stuff? You should have someone else do it!

The RAV4 has the dumb composite cartridge housing on the bottom of the engine that takes a special socket plus the housing drain plug with the snap in fitting to drain it and it's still messy. And a cover might have to come off, taking care of 4 vehicles I forget. Don't like doing it but wouldn't trust it to some guy working the oil rack somewhere.

Interesting thread with family personal stories and someone admitting they cross thread their filters and drain plugs.

HMS

You guys should all buy Subarus and a Fumoto drain plug.
28.gif

New VW has a 6 bolt undertray that has to come off and I dont have a lift. Plus the lease include all services and wear parts consumed during the term.
frown.gif

Wife's Subaru isn't bad, as there is a rectangular port in the undertray to facilitate the drain plug removal/replacement.

But during summer it's the Mosquitos and the Deerflies harrassing you.

In the Winter, its the cold freezing you. But I soldier through since as even the Dealer cant do the job correct.at large expense!

On my 2011 Fusion the filter wasn't too bad, but there were 4 little screws in the cover instead of just making it one bolt with a pivot. The tranny drain, however, you had to remove the entire belly pan to get to it. So I took a paddle bit and drilled a hole large enough to fit the socket up in and get the plug out without pulling the pan.

One minor niggle has always been the belly pans on older Subarus as well... they made open access holes for the drain plug and filter to come out thru, but they didn't take into account gravity once the plug or filter was removed. I ALWAYS got oil on the cover and all over my arm because the oil would catch right on the edge of the pan and make a mess. The Odyssey filter location purposely drained onto the framerail, which I guess ensured that side of the frame would never rust out, but that made quite a mess as well.
mad.gif

I'm impressed with your paddle bit solution.

As far as your second comment this the only problem I have to deal with in my 2002 4Runner. I now go in from the driver's side fender well to get to the oil filter and remove it without removing the belly pan stuff. Yep, it leaves a mess on the belly pan that leaves a few drips here and there for a couple of days.

Fond memories of changing my own in the eighties and nineties but I'm old and live in a condo which doesn't allow it. Given the high spread in oil change prices and low differences in bottled oil, I'd be using a low cost synthetic rather than VWB if I did.

I actually like doing it, except on my pickup where the filter is in a weird place, pretty hard to reach.

My wife(before i mey her) and I did it on our own thru college and a little beyond.

Now perfect conditions(not winter or hot,bugs) required for me to perform it on my Acura.

She drops her VW off at dealer and gets her massage and nails done these days next door. Long way from replacing her plugs, timing belt on a 96 Civic with her dad.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

Wait, you overtighten and cross thread your own stuff? You should have someone else do it!

I hate it when that happens...
Once I had to replace the oil pan on a little Datsun due to a badly cross threaded oil drain plug that had a mangled plug head.

(I was still drinking back then.)

Last edited:
Because for $60 the dealer tightens the chassis, lubes the door mechanisms, inspects everything, rotates my tires, details my car, drives me where I need to go, or feeds me coffee and a snack while I wait, and changes the oil and disposes of it per EPA regulations.
(I supply the oil, they supply the filter)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac
Tighten the chassis? That's a new one. How do they do that?

Obviously I mean the bolts holding the underpinnings together.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by PimTac
Tighten the chassis? That's a new one. How do they do that?

Obviously I mean the bolts holding the underpinnings together.

Have you seen them actually do this or are you simply going by Mazda maintenance list?
I know my mazda lists checking various chassis bolts, but I have never seen it done, nor did I ever do it in 180k miles I have owned this car.

One thing the dealers are good at is making the customer think they are doing all sorts of things for "free" with their checklists etc. The focus is on customer experience, not actual quality of service. Their goal is to make the customer thinks they got a great service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back