300,000 mile Ford 2.7 Ecoboost V6 on Normal Maintenance ...

Thank you OP. I have a keen interest in this noteworthy consumer field study, in that I anticipate soon purchasing a 2019 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid with the D4S fuel delivery technology Ford purchased from Toyota. The earlier banter, purportedly from Ford mechanics, was to avoid the 2.7L EB. Talk is cheap.

My similar personal driving conditions and many OCI's tell me this owner was driving in non severe conditions. Freeway miles are easy on oil. How often did the turbo actually kick in ? How many dry starts per day ? Of special note is the useage of synthetic blend 5W30 oil, more so than the 10k mile OCIs. I have been fixated on the idea of using only oil with highest quality basestocks, when going anywhere near GDI, let alone TGDI.

Originally Posted by Sunnyinhollister
The vehicle went 300k on about the lowest possible engine hours. That would qualify as non-standard scenario of operation.

Is that so relevant? I mean the crankshaft made the same half a billion revolutions in 300,000 miles and the other wear parts a proportional amount, whether it took 5,000 hours or 10,000.

no really. if you look at the gear it's in and the lighter load, the crank has made arguably fewer revolutions that 300k in stop/go city driving. Plus since the average speed is higher, it's taken less time (engine hours) to achieve the mileage.

300k is still an impressive figure for the driveline and suspension wear items, and the vehicle in general, so it's worthy of note, but it's just good to keep in mind that it's a different kind of wear for different parts.

300K in 3 yrs vs. 300K in 20+ yrs ... imho, that would be the real test!
Having said that, it must have a nice engine lasting that long with no issues!

Originally Posted by kstanf150
Originally Posted by SteveSRT8
That poll was interesting as my FIL has an 18 F150 with the 5.0. He is quite unhappy with it. It uses oil like crazy and rattles a lot at various times, too.

A gorgeous XLT Lariat model with everything but the kitchen sink and then you start it up and it sounds like it's ready to come apart! I am positive they cannot all be like that.

No such thing as an XLT Lariat model
It's either one or the other ...³ðŸ¤”ðŸ‘

But your right about not all are sucking oil down like crazy
The only two guys I know that have 5.0's in a ‘17 & an new ‘18 have no issues

Sorry about the missed ID, my intent was to convey that this truck is LOADED! Stunningly beautiful, what a disappointment to the proud owner who loves his Fords...

I have a thread on a popular Ford truck forum with a friends 2016 2.7 approaching 450,000 miles. He uses Motorcraft semi syn and changes it when the dashboard tells him to.

I'd expect that from any properly assembled and maintained engine in the last 20 years. Granted those two factors may not be all that common.

Reactions: CKN
I have a thread on a popular Ford truck forum with a friends 2016 2.7 approaching 450,000 miles. He uses Motorcraft semi syn and changes it when the dashboard tells him to.
Really impressive. Goes to show how OCD we are here. Lol

FYI apparently it ended at 465k miles.

Odometer pic: https://www.f150forum.com/f118/100-000-mile-2-7-a-389552/index12/#post6292982

Thread start: https://www.f150forum.com/f118/100-000-mile-2-7-a-389552/

Guy is 6k from turning 300,000 on his 2016 F-150 w/ the 2.7 liter twin turbo V6 with just normal maintenance. Not bad. As these engines begin to age we'll see if these known high milers right now are unicorns or if this can be considered common.

Claims to have been achieved on Ford 5W30 syn blend and oem filters as specified in the manual. What's interesting is says that the engine stop/start feature we all know and love (not) has never been turned off when driving (Ford has a button on dash to turn it off if desired). BUT this truck it seems we're talking looong highway mile use more than suburban/town/city use so stop/start durability issues on the starter and etc might not be a good example.

At any rate it does seem to put one on the board against the mantra that small displacement highly stressed/boosted engines are all going to blow up early especially in a truck application. The work description sounds like small/lightweight expedited cargo delivery so not heavy duty work.

Also-that the start/stop starter systems will self destruct after a time. One of the most misunderstood concepts on this board-that THEY ARE DIFFERENT than a conventional starter system.

Not as high of mileage but the wife’s 2017 Escape 2.0 EB has 133k miles on it now, zero issues from it and I’ve been running 15-17k mile OCIs with Amsoil which I plan to switch to Valvoline EP and start shortening the OCI to just when the monitor says to change it

DavidJones, sent you a message.

Back