2018 HYUNDAI ELANTRA SEL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took my car to Valvoline instant oil change. They put Valvoline 5w30 Advanced MST full synthetic in it. Didnt see it till got home. My car takes 5w20. Hyundai recommends Ouaker State in manual. Will the 5w30 hurt my vehicle? Is Valvoline Advanced MST full synthetic just as good as QS Ultra Durability? I am asking genuine question because I honestly dont know. So I come as humbly as I know how to learn here.

I've been running 5w 30 in my elantra since new, some 5w 20 in the winter. I doubt there is much difference in the performance of most major synthetic oil brands.

If you read your owners manual page 8-7 you will see that 5w 30 is fine per Hyundai. The T-GDI engine can even run up to 20w50 per the manual.

https://owners.hyundaiusa.com/content/dam/hyundai/us/myhyundai/glovebox-manual/2018/elantra/2018%20ELANTRA%20(AD)%20OM.pdf

Last edited:
My Sportage 2.4L specs 5w20 on the cap and in the manual too. But like your Elantra, the book also specs 5/10W30. I recently decided to stay with 5w30 after trying both over the first year of ownership. You'll be absolutely fine. Valvoline MST is a very robust 5w30 that will serve you well.

Hyundai is pretty liberal in what oil you can use.
Your Elantra can use almost any SN rated oil, conventional, synthetic or blend and will be just fine.

I am guessing you have the 2.4 (5w-20 on the cap), and the manual (page 8-9) says you can use 5w-20, 5w-30 for any temperature, or 10w-30 above 0°F.
If you had the Turbo, you could use 5w-30, 10w-30, 5w-40, 15w-40 or even 20w-50 in temps above 20°F.
Oil needs to be API SM or above / ILSAC GF-4 or above / ACEA A5 or above, which the Valvoline is.
Quaker State is just the "recommended oil" because the 2 companies get kick backs from each other I am sure (although my moms Kia Soul has Total Oil listed in the manual).
The Soul has the same 2.4 motor as you and I plan on using 5w-30 or 10w-30 oil in it for the rest of it's life.
I think you will find quite a few Kia and Hyundai owners running 5w-30 oils in the 2.4 with no issues (and no issues with 5w-20 either).

Drive it and don't worry about it. If you want to be like most here, change the oil at least every 5,000 miles (the Hyundai GDI engines can have fuel dilution issues). My Santa Fe and Mom's Soul are on 5000 mile intervals. My sisters Santa Fe is on a ~7,500 mile interval (she does mostly highway).
If you do mostly highway, 7,500 is fine.

Valvoline makes a fine oil. You'll be fine to run it the whole oci. Honestly 5w30 is a better oil than 5w20. Some folks around these parts think sae20 is too thin to protect their machines. QSUD 5w20 is the only thin oil I'd run because recent pqia analysis says it's the best oil for the money.

they did a very nice job. I would it use them again if I were you!
all oil places have the specs on their computers ... It's summer and 10Wx30 is fine too.

As long as you're not required to use ACEA A5 (or above apparently) itll be fine. I'm pretty sure the Valvoline is D1G2 so it's essentially A5 if its reqd

I run 5W-30 in all of my Hyundai engines even though the cap says 5-20. As stated, the owners manual says you can use 5-30. It is the better choice and I recommend using it from now on.

You guys have to stop looking at the simple multigrade weight and start thinking about spec.

This isnt a plain vanilla 5w30 they installed

OP said was MST. That's a long life Euro Diesel oil ACEA C3 MB 229.52 BMW LL-04

High HTHS.

Wonder why they put that in?

To the OP: if it runs great - which it might, dont worry your're likely good for 10K miles

probably the best oil you'll ever have in there.

ditto here, girlfriends 8 thou mile preowned kia 2.4 got 10-30 after dumping cheap 5-20 put in at the used car dealer. pa winters it gets 5-30 + unlike her traded qt on a thou 13 malibu 2.5 it consumes NO oil!

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
You guys have to stop looking at the simple multigrade weight and start thinking about spec.

This isnt a plain vanilla 5w30 they installed

OP said was MST. That's a long life Euro Diesel oil ACEA C3 MB 229.52 BMW LL-04

High HTHS.

Wonder why they put that in?

To the OP: if it runs great - which it might, dont worry your're likely good for 10K miles

probably the best oil you'll ever have in there.

I wonder if that's a mistake, those VIOC usually carry a regular synpower and diesel oils like premium blue.
Not sure if that's really an MST, which will be cool if it is - it's still API SN and good for a gas engine.

OP, can you share a picture of your receipt by any chance?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by csandste
For the record. I don't think any of the Souls ever used a 2.4. From memory, I thought Elantras were mostly 1.8 and 2 liters. No big deal, all run happily on 5w30.

You are correct, it is a 2.0 on the Elantra (and Soul) or 1.6 TGDI for the 2018 Elantra.

Not sure where I got a 2.4 from, maybe I had 2.4 on the brain from my Scion??

But again agree that 5w-30 is fine

I also run QSUD 5w30 in my 2017 Elantra 2.0. Been thinking about switching to 10w30 since the manual specs it useable for temps above 0*. Gonna be doing a bit of driving on vacation next month.

L8R,
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back