Interval Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

ers

Just bought a 2006 Shelby Mustang, 25,000 miles, and planning on driving no more than 5-10,000 miles per year. I'm thinking going with Amsoil. Will one oil change a year be sufficient? Should I not spend the extra for the Amsoil and go with another brand? Don't won't to cut corners but not looking to waste either. Open to ideas. Thanks.

Ernie

I use Amsoil, but don't feel compelled to recommend it over anything else.

Which engine is that? I assume these will be weekend drives, not grocery getting?

Lots of long drain oils to choose from in this case

Mobil 1 EP, AP, or even regular Mobil 1. There is also a 20K rated Castrol product.

My friends Tundra gets a yearly OC; 235K on it now.

Don;t sweat the 1 year interval; my truck gets 1 year OCI with a long drain oil, anywhere between 8-15K miles. My other vehicles get 12-15K OCI.

Last edited:
Ers, how about some pictures? To answer your question: Yes, at only 10,000 miles, one change per year will be plenty, especially if you use SS.

And since you said the magic word, "Amsoil".....
35.gif
27.gif

Hard for us to say. Are your trips short say less than 12 miles? If so 1 uoa will tell you. If your trips are all longer that 12 or so miles 1 year is probably fine.

walmart shelf qsud high moly great oil $17.97 for 1.25 gallons twice a year will be cheaper even with two changes plus you will have clean oil at the 6 month mark would be my strategy. If you decide to use Amsoil SS definitley get thier filter to match. Using a paper filter for a year is just a bad move. spun micro glass filter that can go a year easy, amsoil ea, royal purple, fram ultra, wix xp. either go twice a year with a great oil and whatever filter, or use a different great oil but make sure you use a filter that wont degrade with time and heat cycles.

Thanks for all the replies. Appreciated. 4.6 engine. Mostly gonna be short trips, weekends, errands, ect. Someone asked for pics, here are some. That's my wife in one and my 275,000 mile Tundra in another.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back