Motorcraft FL-820s c&p

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is from my work van. A 2013 Ford E-350 6.8L V10. It was in use for 10 months and only 6000 kms. Dealer bulk synthetic 5w-20 was used. I know better then to use motorcraft but for our company vehicles we usually just maintain them at the dealer. Not anymore... I've noticed cuts in the adbv and the wide pleat is just plain ugly looking. I can't tell if there are tears in the media yet. Going to dry it out over the next few days and see what it looks like as I know how brittle the purolator media is. I don't want to disturb it much and cause any tears before I can fully examine it. I put in a Fram tough guard filter so at least I can sleep well at night knowing that it has a quality filter now. Just glad I didn't try to push the cheaply made motorcraft to 8-10k kms this time...

B1B329F7-74D3-4656-BC11-0E9527F8AAA8.jpeg

1D90AC66-3942-4EC5-B881-845474BEC51A.jpeg

388C5300-EBB7-4E0D-A92F-B074D7CA4E91.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's about how the one off my f350 looked, except mine had a large tear in the wide pleat.
Never another Motorcraft purolator on my truck.
Amsoil
Wix
Or Fram
In that order arw my prefrences.

Last edited:
You could use that wide spacing filter area like lips that can talk for a commercial.

lol.gif

Imagine them smackers talking about how great this filter is...

Cold Oil is tough on filters across a cold winter.

Water and gum do a job on them.

Nice wide deep pleats are more susceptible.

Even my oversized Filtech Honda racing filter failed with tears near the endcaps.

And that was on a little 2.5L nissan

That's why I quit using them on my 4.6 & switched to Affinia/Fram CQ Blue/M1s & Ultras, the FL-820S is substandard crap! If that terminology is allowed here...

Originally Posted by bbhero
You could use that wide spacing filter area like lips that can talk for a commercial.

lol.gif

Imagine them smackers talking about how great this filter is...

Yeah, MC filters are a joke anymore. Endcaps falling off and Purolators tearing. What's next

I've only ever seen one bad NG filter and it was the 6607 equivalent (NG7712), and it was a super tiny element which additionally boggles the mind because of the problems shown. Since all the regularly-sized NG's have looked great, and I can get them locally for less than $4 twice a year on the Farm & Fleet sale, it's what I use. Keeps money going thru local businesses and I don't worry about tears, cuts, or failures. About the only thing I wish the NG had that it doesn't is the P-type gasket, instead of the flat gasket they use. Sure, I haven't had any failures, but I just like it better. Most sizes I use also have thread-end bypass which is fine since all of my filters are mounted threads-up
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back