Are Kia's Hard to Find Parts For?

Helped a friend do brakes and a CV shaft on a Kia Soul.

Everything was dealer only. None of the auto parts stores stocked or had any availability of parts.

Its a pain for us because there isn't a local Kia dealer. I can get some things from our aftermarket vendors, but Kia is one of the brands where I shudder when I see in the shop.

Older ones, no, newer ones, kind of.
In all the Kia's and Hyundai's I have owned and repaired, nothing I have not been able to find local (non-dealer) or online.
Have not worked on anything made in past 5 years, because they are covered under warranty (and truthfully have not needed any repairs).
A lot of parts interchange between Hyundai and Kia.

What are you looking to buy?

They definitely can be more of a challenge to get parts for.

Aftermarket cataloging for them is sometimes lacking or inaccurate. One thing that seems to be a common complaint with body shops is aftermarket struts having mounting points that are clocked wrong. Other parts have spotty availability at brick & mortar aftermarket stores, for example there was a particular u-joint for the old RWD Sorentos that we used to sell like crazy because parts stores just didn't have it locally. Of course most things you can find online without too much searching, but correcting an issue like the clocked wrong struts I mentioned above is more difficult when you can't just go right back to the store. I don't think it's THAT big of an issue, plenty of people in the middle of nowhere have Kias, but if local parts availability is your number one priority you should buy a Silverado or something.

If you are accident prone, avoid the special packages. Some of the packages like "Red Zone" and "X-Line" for the Soul can be a real pain to get collision parts for.

Originally Posted by Imp4
Between Amazon and Rockauto you'll find everything you could ever need plus more.

Most likely true....

Just for "Grins" - - I started playing around with both Rock auto and several parts stores websites.

I was amazed at just how much is ACTUALLY available for my 2013 Kia Optima.

I don't think parts will be a problem.

Ironically... Ford F150 parts are everywhere.... but all I have ever changed in 197,000 miles is the alternator.

Originally Posted by 01rangerxl
If you are accident prone, avoid the special packages. Some of the packages like "Red Zone" and "X-Line" for the Soul can be a real pain to get collision parts for.

After working in dealer parts for 12+ years, I have come to this realization as well. Getting parts for a "Funkmaster Flex Edition Expedition" is fun.... Our sales department keeps pushing those $100k+ Shelby F-150s and Super Dutys. News flash, they aren't from Shelby. They are from some company called Tuscany and of course the parts catalog says they are regular F-150s. Same with Saleen and Roush Mustangs. A few weeks ago I went round and round with a guy with a Roush Mustang who didn't comprehend why the catalog showed it was a regular Mustang GT and why the front splitter he ordered via VIN over the phone was wrong.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal

After working in dealer parts for 12+ years, I have come to this realization as well. Getting parts for a "Funkmaster Flex Edition Expedition" is fun.... Our sales department keeps pushing those $100k+ Shelby F-150s and Super Dutys. News flash, they aren't from Shelby. They are from some company called Tuscany and of course the parts catalog says they are regular F-150s. Same with Saleen and Roush Mustangs. A few weeks ago I went round and round with a guy with a Roush Mustang who didn't comprehend why the catalog showed it was a regular Mustang GT and why the front splitter he ordered via VIN over the phone was wrong.

Yeah conversions done by outside companies are the worst for parts availability and cataloging. Thankfully that's not common on Kias, but they make enough of a mess with their in-house special editions.

Originally Posted by parimento1
I was looking into buying a Kia and I was curious if it is hard to find parts for those cars outside of the dealership?

I would avoid. There are better cars out there for not a lot more after all is said and done. Kia/Hyundai are bottom of the line.

Originally Posted by blupupher
Older ones, no, newer ones, kind of.
In all the Kia's and Hyundai's I have owned and repaired, nothing I have not been able to find local (non-dealer) or online.
Have not worked on anything made in past 5 years, because they are covered under warranty (and truthfully have not needed any repairs).
A lot of parts interchange between Hyundai and Kia.

What are you looking to buy?

Looking to buy a Kia Rio 5-door

I really like the powertrain warranty on the Hyundai/Kia cars. I was also considering the Mitsubishi Mirage and the Chevrolet Spark. I assume I can find parts easily for the Spark. I don't think Mitsubishi parts are readily available either and might be harder to find than Kia parts.

Basically I need a small city car, since I live in NYC. I will never touch a Mini again. That car had so many problems, the parts were mostly dealer only and incredibly expensive. Also, no one knew how to work on them. I tend to keep my cars for a long time and I want a car that is easy to work on and has parts that are readily available at a local Autozone or NAPA.

Also, I felt the Kia was the best of the bunch, because it has a traditional 6-speed auto, not a CVT like the others. CVTs have a bad rep, and I feel I should avoid those.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Silverado12

I would avoid. There are better cars out there for not a lot more after all is said and done. Kia/Hyundai are bottom of the line.

You say that in almost every Hyundai/Kia thread.

Of all the Gm/ Ford cars i have owned. The elantra has been the most trouble free so far. I loved the cutlass cieras for simplicity and ease of maintenance, but the elantra has been better.

Last edited:
As long as it's not very old, Rios are usually pretty easy to source parts for from a dealer and surely online..not a ton of variation/special editions.

As far as walking into a parts store and them having brake rotors for it on a Saturday, maybe, maybe not. It's not a domestic truck or super common car, but it shouldn't be anything crazy. It's not a Stinger or rodent edition Soul.

It's definitely better than a Mirage from a parts availability and really everything standpoint.

Last edited:
Four Kias and a Hyundai. No real problems with any of 'em. Been able to find aftermarket parts with no major problems. Posters like Silverado are like those who were violently anti Japanese cars forty years ago.

Last edited:
They are not bad at all, you can get anything you want for them. Start messing around with Saturn and Saab and you can have some real troubles even though they are older now they are not that old. I do a few old English and used to do a lot of old French cars, now that is real trouble.

Originally Posted by csandste
Four Kias and a Hyundai. No real problems with any of 'em. Been able to find aftermarket parts with no major problems. Posters like Silverado are like those who were violently anti Japanese cars forty years ago.

That's good to know. The Spark really drives like a disposable car and the warranty is not great. Add the CVT to the mix and it makes it a tough car to buy. There are plenty of parts on Rockauto for it, but then again, there are also lots of parts for my Smart ForTwo on it also, but parts for the Smart at local parts stores are impossible to come by-- not even worth going to the store.

Last edited:
Back