Havoline Pro DS vs TGMO 0W-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2008 Landcruiser with the 5.7l V8 and 90k miles on it. SInce I've owned it, I have used TGMO 0W-20 oil at 8k OCI (did a blackstone analysis to establish OCI). But, I see the boxed Havoline PRO DS 0W-20 is literally half the price of TGMO. Should I be concerned about switching from TGMO to the PRO DS oil?

Also, check your local Dealers for "Specials" that are on sale from time to time. In my area, if one Dealer has a special sale on the TGMO, the others will match that price as long as they can verify the sale through the competitor's website.

Ed

Havoline pro DS is a fine oil. You will not have problems using it vs the TGMO. There is not magic in that oil.

The lowest price for a name brand oil is the walmart deal for Mobil 1 right now. $22 at walmart, $5 coupon for signing up for some silly hotwheels lottery. Then a $12/ 5qt jug rebate for up to 4 jugs.

That gets you M1 oil (good as any common oil on the market) for > $10 / 5qt jug.

Last edited:
Nobody said it was magic. It's made by Mobil for Toyota to their specs. It's better than Mobil 1. Look at the additive package.

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
Nobody said it was magic. It's made by Mobil for Toyota to their specs. It's better than Mobil 1. Look at the additive package.

You're able to look at the values on a Blackstone VOA/UOA and conclusively determine that between those two oils one is better than another? I sure can't, that's really something.

Absolutely. My vehicle TBN For TGMO 0w-20, 4.8. Mobil1 0w-20, 4.3. Have a nice day.

Hardly any difference at all.

I don't know if it means anything as far as wear, but my 5.7 valvetrain was much quieter with TGMO vs other 0W-20 and 0W-30 oils. It was very noticeable throughout the OCI.

Absolutely. My vehicle TBN For TGMO 0w-20, 4.8. Mobil1 0w-20, 4.3. Have a nice day.

Ahh, OK. I thought you meant you knew it was actually better. Never mind.

You have a nice day too.

I've seen a lot of negative feedback for Havoline Pro DS specifically and it seems like some people are in love with TGMO.

Personally I picked up Mobil 1, received the $12 rebate, and got the $5 Walmart coupon from entering the Hot Wheels sweepstakes. $24 - $12 - $5 = $7 for a 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 is a deal no one is beating for the quality of the product you're receiving.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Where have you seen all this negative feedback?

+1 I haven't seen any , my 4 runner is doing well with a sump full

Mainly from reading through Pro DS threads on BITOG as I was researching it as something to put in a 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis. Many people were saying that it is an ultra thin oil and were not having good results with it. I read enough to where I was turned off to it, just one person's assessment based on reading BITOG comments.

Originally Posted by Ignatius

Mainly from reading through Pro DS threads on BITOG as I was researching it as something to put in a 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis. Many people were saying that it is an ultra thin oil and were not having good results with it. I read enough to where I was turned off to it, just one person's assessment based on reading BITOG comments.

Links to such assessments?

Are these opinions or quantifiable complaints.?

Last edited:
Use the PRO DS with confidence. Just because you drive a Toyota doesn't mean you MUST use their oil.

coffee2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back