Fuel Mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me start off by saying I keep track of mileage thru an app so it is calculated correctly. Over last 7k I was averaging 21.8 mpg and that is a mix but last tank was terrible at 13.4 mpg all low mph with plenty of stops and idling. My lie o meter was at 15.3 but hasn't been reset in I don't know how many miles cause I never looked at it. So I hooked up the Bluetooth app to run a fuel consumption test confirming my thoughts. I had to go to the store which is 11 miles away. I wound up with 16 mph average, 14 mpg on the way there and dash stated 15.3. On the way back I decided to use econ button to see if it makes any difference. The results surprised me as on the way back (same speed, route etc) mileage climbed to 19.8 mpg. Hard to believe that in town with Econ button on I gained almost 5 mpg. The dash even climbed to 16 mpg so it definitely helped and still haven't reset it as I don't trust it. I appreciate any thoughts or experiences that you have.

Which App are you using and how does that work? I always felt the OEM dash MPG readings on vehicles was a little optomistic lol

Econ mode on my wifes '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.6L gives between 1 and 2.5 mpg improvement. It shifts sooner, downshifts a little later but the drive-ability is so good we leave it on all the time.

My F-150 is averaging 20 mpg around town. 2.7 twin turbo 6, 4800 lb curb weight.

Wife's Terrain is averaging 27 in town. 1.5L turbo 4, unknown curb weight maybe 3300.

Originally Posted by GMBoy
Which App are you using and how does that work? I always felt the OEM dash MPG readings on vehicles was a little optomistic lol

Econ mode on my wifes '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.6L gives between 1 and 2.5 mpg improvement. It shifts sooner, downshifts a little later but the drive-ability is so good we leave it on all the time.

I use a Bluetooth dongle and Car Scanner Pro app for Android. It has a fuel monitor built in plus numerous diagnosis functions. I have used it to clear air bag code on a Kia, check out a Nissan Altima and transmission temp on my Caravan. Best 3.49 I have spent and dongle cost me 2.99 so for less than 6.00 I have a scanner.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
My F-150 is averaging 20 mpg around town. 2.7 twin turbo 6, 4800 lb curb weight.

Wife's Terrain is averaging 27 in town. 1.5L turbo 4, unknown curb weight maybe 3300.

Caravan is 6000 lbs and I get 28 on hwy

If I believe the dash calculator on my wife's '18 Nox (1.5 FWD) she's getting 35.3 MPG on the last 450 miles and 37.4 on the last 50. Mainly highway miles.

Originally Posted by tiger862

I believe you are citing gross weight. Curb weight on your Caravan is shown as 4321 to 4483 lbs when I google it.

After many dozens of checks, the on-board vehicle calculations were so close to my hand calculations that I only use the vehicle information now. Surprisingly the vehicle were often lower than my hand calculations. Mazda CX5. Ed

I have a 2018 2.5L Mazda3 and I reset my mileage and economy every fill-up. The dash computer always shows within (approximately) +/- 0.75 MPG from what I manually calculate. There is no particular trend of it giving a high vs low reading. About half the time, the reading is less than 1/2 MPG difference from my calculation. I tend to think the error is mainly due to filling the tank inconsistently. Each gas station has different pumps that might trigger off at inconsistent levels. I have a technique to keep it consistent but there's no way to really know.

My car easily gets 5-6 MPG difference between sport and normal mode. In normal mode the average economy is 34 MPG. In sport mode, gears shift faster and more aggressively. Also, the gas pedal resistance pressure is greatly reduced; thus, you tend "jump on it" a little more freely.

Ray

Last edited:

I believe you are citing gross weight. Curb weight on your Caravan is shown as 4321 to 4483 lbs when I google it.

You are correct as I was reading gross. The curb weight is 4850 according to the sticker on the door

I have also found that my Mazda CX-5 computer reading is very close to what I figure by manual calculations. It's probably within the margin of error.

I just go by it now and skip the calculator.

Originally Posted by bobdoo
You got a higher MPG on the trip back because the engine, tranny, wheel bearings, etc. were warmed up.

Not the case. Already drove it before test. Engine was 207 and transmission was 145. I took all virables out that I could. I even used gps speedo both ways.

Originally Posted by Eddie
After many dozens of checks, the on-board vehicle calculations were so close to my hand calculations that I only use the vehicle information now.

On my Kia Optima, my hand calculations beat the vehicle computer every time, by just a little bit

The curb weight is 4850 according to the sticker on the door

That still seems a bit too high than actual.

My M340i xDrive loaner is averaging 32 mpg or better commuting to work. Not bad for 380 hp. My M235i does about the same with only 320 hp. Fuel economy champ is the Clubman(my usual work beater) that regularly tops 42 mpg.

I can't complain as I work it. Wife stays in vehicle if I go get something quickly with AC blowing or has to be done on the property I load it up and drive the short run and shut off so temp will not come up all the time. I consider this as severe duty so I don't expect to get great unless we go on a trip. It's only transportation and also my work truck.

To obtain actual mpg, I have to multiply the displayed number by 0.956. I know of someone else with the same model, 4 years newer, and he reports exactly the same discrepancy.

Originally Posted by CR94
To obtain actual mpg, I have to multiply the displayed number by 0.956. I know of someone else with the same model, 4 years newer, and he reports exactly the same discrepancy.

The OBC on the M235i is accurate within less than 1%. The X1 OBC has a similar level of accuracy. The OBC on the Clubman is 5.5% optimistic. On a lot of BMWs you can access a service menu that allows you to adjust the MPG calculation, but I've never fooled with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back