Honda HRX217 with Predator 173cc

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently acquired a Honda HRX217 with a bad engine. Previous owner was gonna just toss it but the plastic deck is really nice. Figured I'd take a shot with it. My goal was to maintain 100% functionality with original factory controls and retain the Honda blade system underneath. Picked up a 173cc Predator for about $130 and went to work. It wasn't a straight forward swap. The original GCV190 has a 25mm shaft, the Predator a 7/8" plus the mounting holes aren't quite the same. I got a 7/8 to 1" adapter from Amazon that was too big. Of course it was. Why wouldn't it be? I ground that down a bit at a time until it fit. The Honda blade adapter did not go on the Predator without a fight. Eventually I got it all together, the belt and transmission all hooked up, all pieces and parts back together (do you have any idea how many parts there are under a Honda deck??!! Do you?? No. You do not.). Gas. Oil. Pull rope four or five times. Scratch head. Remember to push primer bulb. Engine unexpectedly starts 1/2 way through first pull. Release "clutch" handle that inadvertently engaged self propel mechanism in 3rd gear racing mower across garage into barbecue grill. Crack celebration beer. Ugh. So at the end of the day it all worked. Everything. All factory controls are functional. Blade brake fit right on with no changes. Throttle cable required a slight change but was easy. The engine runs. like. a. dream. Only 2 of the 4 mounting holes could be used but I used Grade 5 hardware with lock washers. Where the heck is it ever going to go? Original Honda blade is on and at the correct height. I paid $599 for the other HRX217 in my garage so the sub $200 I have into this one seems reasonable. Oh. Y'all ask so: First oil was the cheapest 10-30 I could find on my way home. O'Riellys Auto Parts brand gets to be in there for the first few hours and usher out all the glitter. Then it gets Amsoil DEO like everything else in my garage. This occasionally gets subbed out for Rotella T6 or Mobil 1 TDT. I always use a good synthetic 5w-40 diesel engine oil.

Might have been cheaper, and easier, to source a used Honda engine, or even a new one surplus online.

I put that engine on a Toro super recycler 5 years ago and used the snot out of it. Carb needs cleaned (wont run), so I parked it for the time being and am just using one of my other backup Super Recycler mowers.

You might want to rethink using just 2 engine mounting holes/bolts. The problem that Honda has had with the plastic deck is cracking/breaking where the engine mounts to it.

I have that same 173cc engine. Gets a steady diet of SuperTech 10w-30 lawnmower oil (the small bottles.) Really, most of my OPE gets the same.

The little bugger got a workout this weekend. Its been rainy here all summer so the grass grows like crazy. I got to do a little side by side comparison between the cheapie newcomer Predator 173cc and the reigning champion of my yard: The Honda GCV190. Same grass, same day. It was not easy to pick a winner so I'll do what I can here.

Start of the day, engines cold. Predator requires you to press the little primer bulb a few times then it starts right up. Honda requires only a lazy pull of the rope. Edge marginally goes to the Honda.

Power. Everyone wants to know power numbers. Yeah there's an advertised horsepower figure but will it REALLY mow the really tall thick stuff. To really work the engines it was all mulching. I think bagging is a waste of time and the HRX217 really can't discharge anyway. The Honda has no surprises with 190cc of displacement. If it bogs down, it's thick. There are a few spots in my yard where it'll slow, but not stop. The Predator in the same areas was very good as well. I couldn't really say which did better. At the end of the day I took the Predator to the entrance of the neighborhood and mowed the ditches there. It was 6" to 8" tall, thick. More than you could really expect a push mower to comfortably do which was the point. Running at a full 100% load the little Predator mulched the bejeepers out of that stuff. It is not lacking in the power department.

Noise and vibration. I'll give the slight edge to Honda here. The Honda, to me, seems a bit smoother running but its not a night and day difference. Both engines are relatively quiet. Vibration is about the same between the two. Similar enough that I couldn't tell you which was louder or vibrates more.

Fuel consumption. Do these things even burn gas? The Honda continues to surprise me year after year on how little fuel it burns. The Predator is outstanding as well but has a much smaller tank (40-50 minutes worth at full throttle).

I'll do my best to answer the critics.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
Might have been cheaper, and easier, to source a used Honda engine, or even a new one surplus online.

Would love to. Show me where on this green earth I can find a new (or even used) Honda engine for less than I paid for the Predator. I looked. In town I can get a GCV160 for $229. GCV190 is significantly more. Northern Tool prices are similar to what I'd pay locally. These are all 7/8" shaft motors. Honda dealer wanted $389 for a direct replacement.

Originally Posted by wag123
You might want to rethink using just 2 engine mounting holes/bolts. The problem that Honda has had with the plastic deck is cracking/breaking where the engine mounts to it.

Oh BS. Gonna call ya out on that one. I mentioned in my original post that I've owned a plastic HRX217 for quite a few years. Its a strong flexible deck. Ever see cracked Tupperware? No? There's a reason for that.

Originally Posted by meep
Drill some holes through the deck and bolt that new engine down?

If I could I would. There are only 4 places where mounting bolts CAN go under there. I can add a third bolt if I can as soon as I find the correct size threaded bolt. I do agree that more is better. If I could do all 4 of course I would. I'm stuck with 3 tho. The 4th is not possible.

Originally Posted by Clayslayer
Originally Posted by wag123

Oh BS. Gonna call ya out on that one. I mentioned in my original post that I've owned a plastic HRX217 for quite a few years. Its a strong flexible deck. Ever see cracked Tupperware? No? There's a reason for that.
You are wrong. The polymer decks are strong, but they can and DO break. When I had my shop I saw several Hondas with cracked/broken decks around the engine mounts. Mounting the engine with 2 bolts is asking for trouble IMO.

I found a guy on BITOG that had this exact problem.
Originally Posted by chiefsfan1
[Linked Image from bobistheoilguy.com]

Pieces are broken off each of the mounting areas. Basically this is toast.
Later in the thread he fessed-up that he had hit something. Regardless, the end result was a broken deck.
Some of this potential will depend on how old the deck is. The older xenoy decks were more prone to cracking than the newer nexite decks are. Also, the commercial models have a heavy steel reinforcement ring under the deck around the engine mounting area (hmmm, I wonder why?).
Good luck.

Well, I guess I stand corrected. I was going off of my years of experience with well treated and properly maintained equipment that has given me basically zero issues to date. The mower you have the pics of looks like it was tossed out of an airplane. Pull it out of the back of a pickup, let it free fall from the tailgate to the concrete. Stuff breaks. Abuse and neglect account for far more horror stories than the occasional guy who knew a guy who had an actual flaw. I had a neighbor who could break a bowling ball. Literally everything he owned was broken, rattling, smoking, or somehow on its last leg.

That being said, there is a threaded mounting hole in the engine that I can access with the proper bolt. I plan to do so. While 4 would be ideal, 3 is a lot better than 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back