New Truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I endorse your principles... from your other thread : "Sometimes simple is better, especially in a truck. " There's something about reviews that describe a vehicle as "dated" that piques my interest. Great choice and kudos for having the gonads to stray away from the sheep mentality and buy what you like and want.
thumbsup2.gif
My coworker will be delighted to find out there is still a basic truck available with a manual transmission!

Originally Posted by doitmyself
I endorse your principles... from your other thread : "Sometimes simple is better, especially in a truck. " There's something about reviews that describe a vehicle as "dated" that piques my interest. Great choice and kudos for having the gonads to stray away from the sheep mentality and buy what you like and want.
thumbsup2.gif
My coworker will be delighted to find out there is still a basic truck available with a manual transmission!

Thanks. Honestly I don't know what is so dated about it. It has heated seats and a backup camera. Is it dated because it doesn't have a 20 speed transmission and cylinder deactivation? LOL. I don't need all the frills in a car. As long as it holds up and drives well....that's all I need.

Buster,

Our Frontier is my wife's daily driver. She love's it. The only extra she had to have was a hard, color-matched tonneau cover for rain proof travel and storage. If something was to happen to her Frontier, I have no doubt she would want to replace it with another one. I would agree as long as Nissan doesn't mess it up with cylinder deactivation, start/stop, etc... Neither of us are techies but I would hope by now that the hands free phone features have improved. How is this feature in your new ride working out? Do you like it or do you feel it's lacking functionality.

Nice. I like the hands free option I think it works well. I believe Nissan is updating the truck for next year and if I had to guess it's goinf to go in the direction of all the others which will bring more complexity into it.

Quite a few people over at Clubfrontier drain their diffs/transfer case and even ATF early. Is there any reason to use something other than Nissan ATF? For the differentials I can see maybe switching to something better. Thinking ahead....

Originally Posted by buster
Quite a few people over at Clubfrontier drain their diffs/transfer case and even ATF early. Is there any reason to use something other than Nissan ATF? For the differentials I can see maybe switching to something better. Thinking ahead....

Yeah, I visited a lot of Nissan forums when we owned our 2005 Xterra. It's identical to the Frontier in every way except for the body. I was asking the same ATF question your asking now. I mentioned that I planned on using Maxlife Multi-vehicle ATF in place of the Nissan fluid. I was assured that if I did that my transmission would grenade soon after. The transmission in the Xterra was shifting as smooth as butter when we sold it in 2014 with 98k miles on it, about 60k miles after the initial replacement with one additional drain and fill at about 75k.

On the Frontier, at 30k miles, I flushed the factory fill ATF via the cooler lines at the radiator. I used Maxlife Multi-Vehicle ATF as the replacement fluid. Transmission has performed just like it did when we drove it off the lot. At 50k (sitting at 48k), and every 25k afterwards, I'll do a simple drain and fill with the Maxlife. At 30k I also drained and refilled the power steering reservoir with the Maxlife. I'll do it again at the 50k mark and going forward I'll match the transmission drain and fill schedule. Finally at 30k I replaced the rear differential fluid with Mobil1 Synthetic 75W90. I'll probably do it again around the 70k-75k mark.

Last edited:
Thanks. When the time comes I'll likely use Valvoline and Mobil 1 for ATF/Diffs.

Buster we're think alike. A truck is built for a purpose, doesn't need all the bells and whistles in my book. Good choice on the Frontier, it's going to last long time and not a lot of electronic gadgetry or fancy complex air suspension to break in 5 yrs. Basic truck is what I sought too, my F150 is a base XL with an appearance pkg to improve the plain jane looks a bit, plus a couple useful options like locking diff and 4wd same as yours.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Buster we're think alike. A truck is built for a purpose, doesn't need all the bells and whistles in my book. Good choice on the Frontier, it's going to last long time and not a lot of electronic gadgetry or fancy complex air suspension to break in 5 yrs. Basic truck is what I sought too, my F150 is a base XL with an appearance pkg to improve the plain jane looks a bit, plus a couple useful options like locking diff and 4wd same as yours.

You are very much in the minority-not on this forum....but in the REAL WORLD.

Originally Posted by fdcg27
Gosh, that bed looks like it would hold four or five full bags of groceries, LOL!
Nice little truck.
Hope it serves you well.

Which is about two bags more than many, many P/U truck purchasers will ever have in the bed.

I've been saying for years since my FIL has owned later model Frontiers. If you want something kind of old school box like, like a 4-runner, Wrangler, etc.. at much less cost, the Frontier is the way to go. You've got the truck toughness, ground clearance, excellent towing capacity and passenger carrying capability.

Are their better pickup trucks for the same cost? It depends on what you're looking for. A 2019 Ram 1500 classic 3.6L quad cab 4x4 can be had for the same cost. It has a usable sized bed and huge interior. It will tow the same with 3.55 gears and still get better fuel economy than the Frontier. The best my FIL sees is 17mpg average. The Ram will do 23mpg all day long. Obviously you'll drop ~6mpg from each when towing.

Originally Posted by JTK
I've been saying for years since my FIL has owned later model Frontiers. If you want something kind of old school box like, like a 4-runner, Wrangler, etc.. at much less cost, the Frontier is the way to go. You've got the truck toughness, ground clearance, excellent towing capacity and passenger carrying capability.

Are their better pickup trucks for the same cost? It depends on what you're looking for. A 2019 Ram 1500 classic 3.6L quad cab 4x4 can be had for the same cost. It has a usable sized bed and huge interior. It will tow the same with 3.55 gears and still get better fuel economy than the Frontier. The best my FIL sees is 17mpg average. The Ram will do 23mpg all day long. Obviously you'll drop ~6mpg from each when towing.

I like the RAM, that was on my list. My uncle picked up the Warlock for about $35k. Nice looking truck. I'm very happy with my decision. I have the Off-Road package too which is nice.

I need to do the rear diff vent mod soon though.

http://www.offroadgorilla.com/shop/rear-differential-breather-vent-kit

Originally Posted by JTK

I like the RAM, that was on my list. My uncle picked up the Warlock for about $35k. Nice looking truck. I'm very happy with my decision. I have the Off-Road package too which is nice.

I need to do the rear diff vent mod soon though.

http://www.offroadgorilla.com/shop/rear-differential-breather-vent-kit

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=40644&id=40395

Originally Posted by JTK

It was the process of shopping for my FIL's 2017 Frontier back in early 2018 when I got bit by the bug for wanting a truck again.

I would have also bought a Frontier had I not found my 2017 Ram 1500 for the price I did sitting used in a small GMC, Buick, Caddy dealer lot.

Originally Posted by JTK
Originally Posted by JTK

It was the process of shopping for my FIL's 2017 Frontier back in early 2018 when I got bit by the bug for wanting a truck again.

I would have also bought a Frontier had I not found my 2017 Ram 1500 for the price I did sitting used in a small GMC, Buick, Caddy dealer lot.

I really like the RAM. Honestly, I like quite a few trucks on the market. I'd be happy with almost any of them. I chose the Frontier due to its simplicity and it had what I needed at a reasonable cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back