Ford's Dual-Clutch Transmission Continues To Be A Disaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time will tell if 17s were fixed. Court orders don't prove anything.
I had a 17 for about two weeks as a rental. Judging from the amount of clutch slippage the programming allowed during slow maneuvers and at creeping speeds, I highly doubt anything got fixed. Small improvements don't equal a proper fix.

Proof is in the pudding. In the markets where ford will still sell cars like Australia and EU, they are using a traditional, torque converter, automatic transmission.
In NA ford will no longer sale cars, with exception of few models, and I bet they had these plans for a long time before the official announcement. It made no sense for them to switch transmissions, so instead they applied more temporary fixes to limp this turd of a transmission to the end.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
Court orders don't prove anything.

Honda was forced by a court to extend warranties because they had rigged their speedos to read fast by about 5%, to use up warranteed mileage faster.

Court orders have teeth, and companies have to abide by them to get a settlement reached. Ford did fix the 2017's+ to get out from under the court.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by bbhero
Aren't the wet dual clutch syetems way more reliable than the dry dual clutch syetems ?

Wet clutch allows more slip when taking off so they are much smoother. VW uses that in 90% of their automatics and have pretty much perfected it. The only downside is 40,000 mile fluid changes. Their cars with dry clutch have no fluid change requirements.

Ford is simply a transmission change every 40k. Fiestas and Focus fall into the category of throw away disposable cars.

Ford clearly does not trust their design by not extended the warranty to 8yrs/150k on transmission.

Last edited:
What a shame. My 78,000 mile, 2015 Focus 1.0 EcoBoost with a 6-speed manual has been flawless mechanically. They're great cars without the DCT.

My Focus has been doing much better than a friend's 2015 Civic - numerous problems there.

Originally Posted by gfh77665
bdcardinal said:

Why? Under court scrutiny, the DCT was improved for 2017 and up.

There likely not enough data to really know if improvements helped. Courts and Ford are not experts on DCT longevity.

Aren't the wet dual clutch syetems way more reliable than the dry dual clutch syetems ?

Wet clutch allows more slip when taking off so they are much smoother. VW uses that in 90% of their automatics and have pretty much perfected it. The only downside is 40,000 mile fluid changes. Their cars with dry clutch have no fluid change requirements.

Sure, I suppose to say that it depends which company uses what DCT. VW, BMW etc.? Yes.
It is interesting that Ford used Getrag to make this DCT, and it is horrid. Same company makes them for BMW and Ferrari, and works perfectly.
I would say here money buys quality.

Originally Posted by edyvw

Sure, I suppose to say that it depends which company uses what DCT. VW, BMW etc.? Yes.
It is interesting that Ford used Getrag to make this DCT, and it is horrid. Same company makes them for BMW and Ferrari, and works perfectly.
I would say here money buys quality.

Getrag makes the Evo X MR's DCT too and it's a decent unit as long as the fluids and filters are changed every 30K under normal conditions. The issue with the Evo's DCT is the software and always having 5% pressure, even at a complete stop so a lifespan of 100K miles before needing a new clutch pack was normal.

So maybe now it's more of a software issue contributing to the issue instead of hardware with ford's horrible transmission tuning. Certainly the dry clutches in a eco-box car does't help though no matter how "maintenance-free" (HAHAHA) they are.

Last edited:
Even the guys over on blueovalnews.com know these things are absolute garbage.

Not one of Fords brightest moments. Right up there with the 6.0 diesel.

Originally Posted by gfh77665
Originally Posted by bdcardinal

Negative, we sell just as many on the 17+ as the prior models. They use the same parts.

Under court order, Ford HAD to give extended warranty on the 2016's and back. The court did not make Ford extend to the 2017's+.

Why? Under court scrutiny, the DCT was improved for 2017 and up.

Negative, all the part numbers are the same.

it never really was the clutch itself being the problem as I understand it.

It's the fact the transmission pukes oil onto the friction surfaces.

I guess I don't get why they can't fix that.

Originally Posted by JTK

Correct, there is a bag of hardware/seals that we bill out with every clutch. One of those being the input shaft seal.

Originally Posted by JTK

Correct, there is a bag of hardware/seals that we bill out with every clutch. One of those being the input shaft seal.

I wish someone would tear down one of these and figure out where the true flaw actually is, we've all heard the general explanation but I want to know about the specifics and details of it.

Originally Posted by AC1DD
Originally Posted by JTK

I wish someone would tear down one of these and figure out where the true flaw actually is, we've all heard the general explanation but I want to know about the specifics and details of it.

Right?

There's countless threads on this and lots of u toob videos, but no one talks about why this oil leak keeps happening. The gearbox portion of this transmission is fine. The clutch and it's workings are likely fine. Keep oil out of the mix and they'd likely last the life of the car.

I'm assuming these DCT units rely on oil pressure to actuate gear changes. Is pressurized oil getting to the inboard side of that shaft seal and blowing past it?

You rarely hear of a transmission shaft seal leakage issue ruining a clutch on a MT. There's no oil pump needed in them (maybe some have them), so no pressurized gear case oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back