Cops scanning my registration sticker? What for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by fsdork
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

Third light out!

So we pay traffic cops to harass us?

This is &^%%.

We've been puttinig up with this game for too long.

I rejoiced the day the registry cops were done in massachusetts decades ago.
They got seemingly bigger than the police force and were harassing everybody constantly for
NO GOOD REASON.

Its just a money making, union political dynasty building crock of muck.

rant over.

But to the OP, m_o_m, are you a suspicious appearing, scary looking dude?

You might be surprised at how frequently more serious issues are uncovered during traffic stops. I would suggest that unless there is something else going on, the likelihood of getting a ticket for a 3rd brake light being out is pretty low.

As for it being a money making scheme, think about how many steps that ticket goes through between someone being pulled over, and the fine ending up in the government's hands. Considering most equipment fines are paltry (sub-$100), the overhead eats up the fine in a hurry.

It just unnecessary "service" and costly to the taxpayer,

.. No unwarranted search and seizure.

I dont pay people good , hard earned money to harrass me do you?

When You act like a child who did something wrong you are putty in their hands.

I don't support unwarranted laws like most the sheeple off to slaughter

Call me lawless

Originally Posted by Rmay635703
If I'm a single person with a car I fixed and one th
Originally Posted by atikovi
Got pulled over a mile and a half from the dmv and got to sit around a half hour because I had the "wrong plates on the wrong car"

You're lucky that's all that happened. Most places would tow and impound a car for having the wrong plates.

As a single person how am I supposed to get from the dmv to my home?

Taxi service is nearly non existent

No public transport, like a bus? I have taken the bus several times. Sort of enjoyed it actually.
They are probably matching the sticker to the car, the public does everything. They should scan the stickers and catch law breakers.

I suspect she check whether the sticker matched with the license plate plus the insurance and inspection information stored in TX DPS database.

As for the bad bulb, I usually tell them I just changed it and it goes bad again, [censored] store bought parts nowadays. The proceed to say what you said about Autozone.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
If I'm a single person with a car I fixed and one th
Originally Posted by atikovi
Got pulled over a mile and a half from the dmv and got to sit around a half hour because I had the "wrong plates on the wrong car"

You're lucky that's all that happened. Most places would tow and impound a car for having the wrong plates.

As a single person how am I supposed to get from the dmv to my home?

Taxi service is nearly non existent

No public transport, like a bus? I have taken the bus several times. Sort of enjoyed it actually.
They are probably matching the sticker to the car, the public does everything. They should scan the stickers and catch law breakers.

This is Wisconsin there is no sort of UNIFIED public transport system north of Milwaukee, the nearest stop would be about 3 miles from the DMV, I only had about 45 minutes to get there fill out forms etc before close.

Third light out!

This is &^%%.

They got seemingly bigger than the police force and were harassing everybody constantly for
NO GOOD REASON.

rant over.

You might be surprised at how frequently more serious issues are uncovered during traffic stops. I would suggest that unless there is something else going on, the likelihood of getting a ticket for a 3rd brake light being out is pretty low.

As for it being a money making scheme, think about how many steps that ticket goes through between someone being pulled over, and the fine ending up in the government's hands. Considering most equipment fines are paltry (sub-$100), the overhead eats up the fine in a hurry.

Don't forget the most pressing issue for cops after they've pulled you over: "Are you carrying a large sum of money?"

It was actually two female cops. The guy at auto zone was like they must have been training. He was like they pulled you over for that? I changed the bulb when I got home. It took longer to find a screw driver then it did to replace it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by Donald
I find if I do not speed nor drive crazy I never get pulled over.

I never get pulled over either. Usually they smile and wave at people going through the red lights. I've never seen them pull anyone over for running a red light over here, but man they sure were quick to let me know about my burned out bulb.

Third light out!

This is &^%%.

NO GOOD REASON.

rant over.

It just unnecessary "service" and costly to the taxpayer,

.. No unwarranted search and seizure.

I dont pay people good , hard earned money to harrass me do you?

When You act like a child who did something wrong you are putty in their hands.

I don't support unwarranted laws like most the sheeple off to slaughter

Call me lawless

No, I pay them to harrass criminals. If that means I get stopped for 5 minutes because of a burned out light, so be it. I'll take the minor inconvenience if it means they get a load of guns and dope/a drunk driver/etc. out of the next car.

And don't forget, driving with a burned out light is breaking the law. If you don't think it should be illegal, give that feedback to your elected representative and ask them to change the law. I would suggest you don't represent the majority in that opinion.

I was pulled over for going 10 mph over the limit on the Interstate. The Officer gave me a warning. Later, I asked another Officer how long they keep a warning on file-he said it was permanent. It still up to the Officer whether he gives you a ticket for something you may already have been "warned" for-in the event you are pulled over for the same thing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN
I was pulled over for going 10 mph over the limit on the Interstate. The Officer gave me a warning. Later, I asked another Officer how long they keep a warning on file-he said it was permanent. It still up to the Officer whether he gives you a ticket for something you may already have been "warned" for-in the event you are pulled over for the same thing.

You mean the "permanent record" that they scared us with as school kids is real?
lol.gif

Thankfully the cop understood this and left it with a warning, which is the correct response, there was nothing malicious going on.

In this case, the officer used his/her discretion and effectively looked the other way even though you were breaking the law. There is no justifying why you had to drive that car.

Yes, people do it every day but that doesn't mean it's okay. Some do it, get caught, and get a warning like you did. Others get caught and their vehicle gets towed.

Bull

I have insurance on both cars, so I could make it to the dmv after work transfer plates and go home and start driving it. I would have to take a day off work to have enough time to do what you ask which isn't happening.

The car I took the plates off is likely getting junked so if I did get into an accident my liability insurance should cover the other driver and the car would go the same place.

Using your logic to stay legal I am not allowed to transfer plates meaning I would have spent over $200 instead of the $80 I spent.

And we wonder why there are shootings , there has to be some common sense with law or we will fall into anarchy
Thankfully the cop understood this and left it with a warning, which is the correct response, there was nothing malicious going on.

I think you are leaving out details, but it probably could have all been done legally. Sounds like you were taking shortcuts which is what got you pulled over. You could have taken an Uber or Lyft. Or just get new plates. Or have someone give you a ride. I've given rides to co-workers for various things. You have to use common sense to avoid getting pulled over. Waste of the cop's time to have you pulled over when they could have been chasing real criminals.

Originally Posted by Wolf359

I think you are leaving out details, but it probably could have all been done legally. Sounds like you were taking shortcuts which is what got you pulled over. You could have taken an Uber or Lyft. Or just get new plates. Or have someone give you a ride. I've given rides to co-workers for various things. You have to use common sense to avoid getting pulled over. Waste of the cop's time to have you pulled over when they could have been chasing real criminals.

Somebody else in this forum brought up Occam's razor and I believe that's starting to apply here. I think you're turning his issue into something much bigger than it really is; it really could have been just a simple 5 mile drive to the DMV and not expecting any troubles since it's 5 miles. Bad luck happens.

Bull

I have insurance on both cars, so I could make it to the dmv after work transfer plates and go home and start driving it. I would have to take a day off work to have enough time to do what you ask which isn't happening.

The car I took the plates off is likely getting junked so if I did get into an accident my liability insurance should cover the other driver and the car would go the same place.

Using your logic to stay legal I am not allowed to transfer plates meaning I would have spent over $200 instead of the $80 I spent.

And we wonder why there are shootings , there has to be some common sense with law or we will fall into anarchy

Things just work different in the large metropolitan areas. If you got off with a warning, great. Just saying if a cop pulled you over around here and the tag and registration didn't match the car, it would likely be impounded. And sure you can transfer plates. You just have to process it at the DMV first so it's in the system. First thing the cop thinks if the tag doesn't match the car is that it might be stolen.

Originally Posted by MasterSolenoid
Not to get off topic, but,
I limit my contact with the judicial system and check my vehicle lights every three Months / don't wait for yearly inspection.
In the last 3 years, I had two bulbs need replacing.

My son got pulled over for that a month ago. Lucky, he just got a warning.

Originally Posted by CKN

My understanding is that there is (in Ohio) no record of warnings. You don't want cases where an officer gives someone a warning for driving 15 mph over the speed limit and then 5 minutes later issues a citation for someone driving 5 mph over. Where's the consistency ? This is why officers are able to do a lot of things at their own discretion (and without records or proof).

Originally Posted by Pew
Originally Posted by Wolf359

Somebody else in this forum brought up Occam's razor and I believe that's starting to apply here. I think you're turning his issue into something much bigger than it really is; it really could have been just a simple 5 mile drive to the DMV and not expecting any troubles since it's 5 miles. Bad luck happens.

Basically it's illegal. I was the one who brought up Occam's razor which says the simplest answer is usually the correct one. In his case,his simplest answer was also illegal. It's not bad luck, he was doing something illegal and go caught and had some sympathy from the police and it didn't get worse. The trick is to come up with the simplest solution that doesn't involve anything illegal. There were probably other options like doing it online, doing it by mail, getting a ride from someone else etc that wouldn't involve driving around with the wrong plates on a car which is usually illegal in all states. Criminals always come up with excuses as to why they had to do something illegal. No public transportation, would have cost me more money, didn't plan in advance etc. In the real world, those excuses are pretty weak because other people also have the same issues and don't end up doing things illegally. Luckily he didn't get in trouble and it was a pretty minor offense this time....

Originally Posted by CARJ
They pull you over for this???
Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
driving on a donut

If they have reasonable suspicion you've been driving on it for longer than its rated, yes. They usually have a mileage limit. It's considered reckless driving.

Also, most donuts have a max speed rating. I've seen someone get a reckless driving ticket going 65 on a donut rated for max 55mph. Not a speeding ticket, surprisingly, because the area was a 65 mph road. But still a ticket.

I've seen people go
I hate donut tires and the quicker they're off, the better imo
21.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
It's crazy. I've also seen cars with 4 donuts on it, also crazy.

I hate donut tires and the quicker they're off, the better imo
21.gif

I would think you'd get better gas mileage with 4 donuts on it. But of course worse braking and handling. Probably wouldn't make sense financially as they can cost as much as regular tires and are only rated for a few thousand miles unless they're all junkyard donuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back