Michelin Premier A/S vs Premier LTX

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have had 2 sets of Premier A/S and I stand by my opinion. We replaced one with a RT43 and another with the Continental PureContact LS, which were about the same price after rebates- and both 30% less than Michelin. Consumer reports agrees to, giving the RT43 a rating of 70 and the Premier A/S a rating of 64. Their tests rate handing and braking as equivalent. The RT43 had better snow and ice traction as well (as did the PureContact LS). The Michelins were definitely not as good in the winter, and the 8.5/32 starting tread makes a big difference in Michigan where most people don't switch to snow tires in the southeastern part.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by NO2
We have had 2 sets of Premier A/S and I stand by my opinion. We replaced one with a RT43 and another with the Continental PureContact LS, which were about the same price after rebates- and both 30% less than Michelin. Consumer reports agrees to, giving the RT43 a rating of 70 and the Premier A/S a rating of 64. Their tests rate handing and braking as equivalent. The RT43 had better snow and ice traction as well (as did the PureContact LS). The Michelins were definitely not as good in the winter, and the 8.5/32 starting tread makes a big difference in Michigan where most people don't switch to snow tires in the southeastern part.

Michelin A/s is not going to be good in snow for various reasons, nor I personally would drive as all those tires you mentioned+snow is not very intelligent combination.
However, in dry and wet, RT43 will not match it. Continental is anyway parent company of General, so expect better performance than General.
What Consumer Reports say I really do not pay attention. That same company said that Tyota Camry has exemplary suspension when it comes to handling. That is about where any meaningful attention to them should stop.

Last edited:
Wow, I totally agree that CR is nearly useless regarding vehicles. Great for puppies, though.

Actually the little minivan is a real heavyweight, and the Defender LTX is the perfect choice. Members here say it is even "ok" in snow. It has class leading performance with great traction, extremely good in the rain, and it can stand up to the weight of a fully loaded minivan which these days easily exceeds 5000 pounds. Ride quality on these is also excellent, and they wear like rocks...

Originally Posted by SteveSRT8
Wow, I totally agree that CR is nearly useless regarding vehicles. Great for puppies, though.

Actually the little minivan is a real heavyweight, and the Defender LTX is the perfect choice. Members here say it is even "ok" in snow. It has class leading performance with great traction, extremely good in the rain, and it can stand up to the weight of a fully loaded minivan which these days easily exceeds 5000 pounds. Ride quality on these is also excellent, and they wear like rocks...

I had Premier LTX on X5. X5's suspension is far more capable than that tire, but dry and rain performance is exceptional. I really do not know about snow, as I do not entertain that idea with A/S tires.
One thing in rain that Premier LTX lack is hydroplaning resistance due to shallow starting depth. But holding road in rain? Yeah try to fallow it with RT43, it will not end well.

Premier is a great set of tires and has a lot of potential, I've driven on my for a few years for my 2013 F150 and haven't had a problem! (They also ride quiet as well).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back