Decent air inflator

I hate cheap tools...
I've purchased the cheapo tire inflators (like $25) and been sorry.
The clip on air chuck leaks like crazy and they just work like ...

I end up going back to my old gas station inflator...

Do you have one you are happy with?
For not too much $$; but quality has to be #1.
A nice gauge to make work easy and accurate and clip on air chuck would be nice.

Thanks in advance.

I am happy with my Viair 88P, had it for 6 years and still going strong. I have put it through several times the same kind of use that previously wore out half a dozen cheap inflators.

I've been using Viair 77P for the past 3 years or so. It's not the fastest inflator out there, but it gets the job done.

Then again, my cheap no-name inflator I bought from Target 20 years ago still works as well.

[Linked Image]

I have the DeWalt 18V cordless inflator. Works great.

And I have a bicycle pump. Actually that is the best inflator of all.

For infrequent emergency use, I have one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/airMAN-Easy-...;qid=1566488752&s=gateway&sr=8-5

I got it on the recommendation of a YouTube video several years ago and it hasn't let me down yet. Fills a standard car tire surprisingly quick too. Has a screw-on chuck which I personally don't like but if you have issues with the clip-on type, it might be better for you.

For off-road use, I just throw this into the back of the XTerra since I already have an inverter hardwired into it. I made a hose that connects to the quick-connect port on it and lets me fill up all four tires at once. It's rated to run continuously for 45 minutes and takes my 32" tires from 15 psi to 40 psi in about 10 minutes for all four. I've stopped using the little 12 volt ones as I burn them out quickly in this type of use.

[Linked Image]

I hate cheap tools...
I've purchased the cheapo tire inflators (like $25) and been sorry.
The clip on air chuck leaks like crazy and they just work like ...

I end up going back to my old gas station inflator...

Do you have one you are happy with?
For not too much $$; but quality has to be #1.
A nice gauge to make work easy and accurate and clip on air chuck would be nice.

Thanks in advance.
Several years later, what did you choose? I'm looking myself

Also general rant not directed at OP: I don't understand why digital is so prevalent?? I'm trying to reduce the number of things with dead button batteries when I grab them to use them.

What's wrong with an analog gauge that will never need anything? Also it's been proven DMM/DVOM accuracy suffers from a low battery and I always wonder if cheap digi tire gauges are the same? How do you know you're being fed the right digital number? How do you make sure you change the battery regularly?

Also general rant not directed at OP: I don't understand why digital is so prevalent?? I'm trying to reduce the number of things with dead button batteries when I grab them to use them.

What's wrong with an analog gauge that will never need anything? Also it's been proven DMM/DVOM accuracy suffers from a low battery and I always wonder if cheap digi tire gauges are the same? How do you know you're being fed the right digital number? How do you make sure you change the battery regularly?
I use the Milwaukee M12 inflator and Milton pencil gauge. Works for me. You can add a Jack or other quick chuck to the inflator.

I too prefer digital gauges.

I’ve had my US made Milton for years. No issues.

I got this Campbell-Hausfeld inflator in 1989; analog gauge and red /white lights.

It's dedicated to the Camaro as an emergency inflator for the Space-Saver spare. GM provides a can of air (that GM no longer supports and no one refills them), but that has always been a one shot deal. Mess up and you have TWO flats. Takes about 20 minutes to inflate the spare to 32psi.

Untitled-9_resized_arrow.jpg

20230321_161639_resized.jpg

I like a digital guage,check at a dealer when in for service.I have bought into the Makita 18v battery line up.I have two of their inflators,one is a much faster higher out put,thought it might be a bit better on a truck.Still trying and trying to figure out there advantages.We carry them in each car,beats looking for station,driving under inflated tires and possibly ruining a tire.Most line ups are probably competitive

I’ve been pretty happy with my Ryobi air inflator but I’d stick to whatever brand of tools you’ve got cordless tools

Otherwise I’ve been a fan of the Costco 12v air inflators as you can take it back if anything goes wrong

I had a great 12v compact '180 PSi' inflator back in the mid 90's. I'd air down 4 30x10.5x15s to the high teens for soft sand driving, then back upto 30 something for back on the pavement. It quit in the early 2000's.

From then till about 2007 I went through several 12v models. They all became loud slow deflators when they overheated and the piston cup burnt inflating smaller volume tires from mid 20s to mid 30 PSi ranges.

In 2007 I got a Tsunami/masterflow mv-50/ 1050f.

Horrible QC, but simple, reliable, and easily improved, and still working well.

I went a bit nuts. The plastic air filter had a bunch of mold flashing blocking the air intake. Huge improvement after flashing removal.

I hated the screw on valve fitting. I retapped it for standard 1/4"NPT fittings, Modified with a better coiled airhose and locking tire chuck, drilled to passive.

The relay in tailcap was cheap and poorly soldered awith hideous crimpnuts wire joinery which easily pulled apart. No stress relief on the 14awg wires entering endcap.

New quality relay soldered with 10AWG to 45 amp anderson powerpole connector, new cordgrip, and added a insanely powerful 80mmx36mm 8500 rpm Nidec server fan blowing over the finned head.

The heatsinking of cylinder to finned heatsink head was laughable at best. Not much to do but add some thermal grease between, and add concentrated airflow over the head.

The thing works great still. Pulls 16 to 20 amps depending on battery voltage and tire pressure, and with the fan no worries about common duty cycle instructions, 5 minutes on 30 minutes off, overheating CYA BS.

I had to move cross country, and abandoned a porter cable 120vac pancake compressor. I hated it though. The regulator was worthless. When airing up tires it was so much faster and easier and quieter, to pull out my modified 12vDC MV-50 instead.

I need a new compact 120vac compressor now, or a way to hook my MV-50 to a small compact tank to run a pin nailer around 100PSI.

Recently, as My 18v makita drill/1/4" impact drivers batteries were toasted, I decided on Ridgid 18v battery tools. I've now got 2 2.0AH batteries, and 2 4.0Ah, batteries, but their inflator is not on my wishlist.

I had a friend order a Viair. Smaller than I expected, forget which model. I was disappointed to find it drew 18 amps, but no relay, and a switch rated for only 15 amps AC.

Worked as well as my larger MV-50 though.

It got sheathed marine 10-2 AWG, and a 60MMx 38mm Delta high RPM/CFM added to blow over head, but no room inside tailcap for a relay.

I like a digital guage,check at a dealer when in for service.I have bought into the Makita 18v battery line up.I have two of their inflators,one is a much faster higher out put,thought it might be a bit better on a truck.Still trying and trying to figure out there advantages.We carry them in each car,beats looking for station,driving under inflated tires and possibly ruining a tire.Most line ups are probably competitive
I bought the makita 18v inflator about 6 months ago as most of my tools are makita. I bought it because I was tired of buying a new cheap one every 2 months because they break so easily. It was a little pricey ($120) but well worth it. Well built , easy to use, and pumps at a good speed. Wish I bought a long time ago.

Back