3.6L Pentastar Oil Viscosity In Other Countries?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know if there are differences in South America, Europe, or Asia? North America is xW-20, but curious if it is the same globally.

That's right, our engines suffer a bit to please CAFE
mad.gif

Is this European spec for the newer Pentastar Upgrade in the 2018 and up Jeep Wrangler and Grand Cherokee (2017 and up?), or is it for the Gen 1 Pentastar? Also, do the newest Euro Jeeps have the electronic start stop? (ESS?)

I've read that it isn't only for Cafe, but also that 0w20 is better suited for ESS.

Last edited:
I'm sure CAFE is part of it but they switched in 2013/2014 to 5w20 to get more cooling over the valvetrain, excess heat was suspected as to why the 2012's had issues. Then when they revised the Pentastar in 2016/17 they designed it for 0w20 from the start.

What I know is I have used nothing but 5w20 in my wife's 2014 Wrangler, bought new and now at 75k miles and the thing has an absolute TON of oil pressure. Well over 100 lbs at cold start, about 40 at hot idle, and 80+ at hot full throttle when the high pressure stage kicks in.

Originally Posted by IndyFan
Is this European spec for the newer Pentastar Upgrade in the 2018 and up Jeep Wrangler and Grand Cherokee (2017 and up?), or is it for the Gen 1 Pentastar? Also, do the newest Euro Jeeps have the electronic start stop? (ESS?)

I've read that it isn't only for Cafe, but also that 0w20 is better suited for ESS.

Europe had start/stop long before the US; I remember renting an Opel in 2010 in the Netherlands and it had it. I wonder what xW-20 does for ESS that xW-40 will not (typical oil that has been used in EU for years)?

5W30 oil would be acceptable if it met the Fiat spec. or Chrysler MS spec. They would like you to use 0w20 but if that's not available 5w20 or 5W30 are acceptable.

Originally Posted by Bighorn2500
5W30 oil would be acceptable if it met the Fiat spec. or Chrysler MS spec. They would like you to use 0w20 but if that's not available 5w20 or 5W30 are acceptable.

Nowhere in my 2018 Jeep JL's manual does it say that any weight other than 0w20 is acceptable. It might say for the JK's gen 1 Pentastar, but I'm not familiar with those.

On the other hand, I don't know how a 5w20 would ever be a problem. Other than cold start-up, the viscosity is in the same range as 0w20.

Last edited:
I will likely try 0W-40 in it to see how it goes since I have quite a bit left from my AMG. Worse case I could mix 0W-20 and 0W-40 to reduce the viscosity, but I am betting there are no appreciable issues by using it as is.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
I will likely try 0W-40 in it to see how it goes since I have quite a bit left from my AMG. Worse case I could mix 0W-20 and 0W-40 to reduce the viscosity, but I am betting there are no appreciable issues by using it as is.

Several members using 0W-40 in a 20 weight application… Guess what, no problems and no discernible loss of mpg!

Originally Posted by JLTD
Several members using 0W-40 in a 20 weight application… Guess what, no problems and no discernible loss of mpg!
Yep, and I am also betting there will be less wear metals in the UOA.

Currently 0W30 in my generation 1 2016 Pentastar 3.6L Wrangler. I made the change to a 30 grade oil at about 1K miles.

Meh. So far, the wear metals in my 2018 Gen 2 Pentastar's UOA's with 0w20 are consistent with other engines I've had running 5w30 at roughly the same miles, all running Mobil 1. The oil itself looked to be in better shape at 7000 miles than the others were at around 4-5k, so I'm not betting my lunch that the heavier weight results in measurably less wear. These new oils are outstanding and some of them hold up to higher heat than their 5w30 counterparts, such as M1 AP 0w20. That goes counter to conventional wisdom in a pretty big way.

I'm sure you'll be fine running the 0W40 straight up, no mixing needed. But if you want to cull the stash, I doubt you'll have problems with the mix either.

Originally Posted by IndyFan
The oil itself looked to be in better shape at 7000 miles than the others were at around 4-5k, so I'm not betting my lunch that the heavier weight results in measurably less wear. These new oils are outstanding and some of them hold up to higher heat than their 5w30 counterparts, such as M1 AP 0w20. That goes counter to conventional wisdom in a pretty big way.
How so and what data point(s) establish this? When comparing like for like, I have difficulty believing xW-20 outperforms xW-30 in high heat applications especially when most (if not all) xW-20 oils do not have to pass the Thermo-oxidation Engine Oil Simulation Test (TEOST) standard. Now, understandably we may be splitting hairs here, but if xW-20 could handle more heat than their xW-30/40 counterparts, turbocharged engines would specify xW-20 and we could eliminate a couple of oil viscosities from the market.

A lot of turbocharged engines do spec 20 weight. I'm not sure what that has to do with the Pentastar however which is an extremely easy engine on oil.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
I'm sure CAFE is part of it but they switched in 2013/2014 to 5w20 to get more cooling over the valvetrain, excess heat was suspected as to why the 2012's had issues..

More cooling to the valvetrain ?

Got evidence of ths, it appears to be wild supposition...in an engineering sense.

Originally Posted by Shannow
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
I'm sure CAFE is part of it but they switched in 2013/2014 to 5w20 to get more cooling over the valvetrain, excess heat was suspected as to why the 2012's had issues..

More cooling to the valvetrain ?

Got evidence of ths, it appears to be wild supposition...in an engineering sense.

There's no official public document if that's what you're asking, but they're not going to release something like that unless they want a class-action, of course. It seems awfully odd to me to set an engine up with 5w30, have some issues, and then change it to 5w20 a year later. If it was CAFE they would just do it in the first place, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back