Anyone Use Schedule 40 PVC For Air Lines ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that I've got a nice big garage, as soon as the weather cools down a bit, (and I get my strength back after this back breaking move), I want to run air lines around the walls of my garage, and tie them into my air compressor, so I don't have to drag it out all the time.

I'm thinking of using 1" or 1-1/2" Schedule 40 PVC. It has more than a high enough pressure rating, it's also cheap and real easy to work with and get a good seal on. I can buy those galvanized U shaped brackets and screw them into the studs every 3 or 4 feet. Then splice in Tee's every 8' or so. From the Tee I can install a female pipe threaded cap, then go with a male brass connector to a Milton quick disconnect.

I can also tie in a retractable 50' hose near the door, which will get me well out into the driveway. I can hang several short hoses, (10' or so), at or near the quick disconnects around the entire inside of the garage. I don't care for those coiled hoses. Most of them don't last, they're a PITA, and are very clumsy to work with. And they are prone to kinking if you try to pull them around anything. I can even run a section of pipe through the wall outside for blowing off gun parts, etc. Having compressed air handy in a garage is always nice. Especially now that I have one I don't have to walk sideways through.

I would not. I think that may be dangerous. They can explode and its shrapnel. Its not OSHA in any shop.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by spasm3
I would not. I think that may be dangerous. They can explode and its shrapnel.

Why would it explode? Schedule 40 pipe has a pressure rating of 450 PSI. My compressor puts out 150 PSI max. And 90% of the time I run it, I've got the regulator turned down to 90 PSI or less.

"1" schedule 40 PVC pipe has a .133" minimum wall and 450 PSI."

https://www.google.com/search?sourc...5i39j0i131.D4KDenuk31I#spf=1565956185215

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200484023_200484023

I use Maxline also from rapid air for my spray gun and breathing mask lines, great stuff and internally remains very clean unlike metal pipes. The problem with PVC is it tends to harden and become brittle with age and when subjected to oil fumes or mist.
Every oil compressor has some blowby even a new one and it only increases over the years, it isn't much but it doesn't have to be to be damaging. PVC is sketchy for compressor lines long term and if its a 2 stage high pressure unit an absolute no no.

The Maxline is 3 layer with aluminum not PVC, it is a type of alupex. Either the Rapid air 3/4 or 1" Max line will do a great job and last 50 years.

https://www.rapidairproducts.com/maxline

Without saying you have a good or bad idea.
One thing I have learned over the years (doing electrical and plumbing jobs) around my house is,

What is the industry standard ?
I believe it's easy to do better then Code (neater) but don't do it different.

As I have gotten older & wiser, I have redone several jobs around my house (previously done by myself).

Do it to industry standard and you will never regret it.

Enjoy your new garage,
My garage is attached and I installed a Wash Tub Sink that gets a lot of use.
Retractable Extension Cords are also nice.

Edit: If your still unsure how to proceed, give it more time and thought, eventually the correct method will
come to you and you'll know why.

Last edited:
IF you do , be sure you use primer on the joints / connections . Before you glue them .

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&channel=cus&q=2+hole+rigid+conduit+strap

Might want to use 1 size over-size strap to give the PVC room to " move " . Also , might want to pad the area at the strap with something like foam insulation .

Personally , when I worked maintenance at the foundry , back in the stone age , we ran a lot of 2" schedule 40 black iron pipe . I have never used PVC for air . Ran my share of PVC conduit , but it does not have to hold pressure .

Best of luck to you , :)

Originally Posted by Trav
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200484023_200484023

I use Maxline also from rapid air for my spray gun and breathing mask lines, great stuff and internally remains very clean unlike metal pipes. The problem with PVC is it tends to harden and become brittle with age and when subjected to oil fumes or mist.
Every oil compressor has some blowby even a new one and it only increases over the years, it isn't much but it doesn't have to be to be damaging. PVC is sketchy for compressor lines long term and if its a 2 stage high pressure unit an absolute no no.

The Maxline is 3 layer with aluminum not PVC, it is a type of alupex. Either the Rapid air 3/4 or 1" Max line will do a great job and last 50 years.

https://www.rapidairproducts.com/maxline

This stuff doesn't look too difficult to work with. And it's reasonable. (I would need a couple of hundred feet). The main thing would be installing it with the hoses tight enough, and with enough mounting connectors so it would look like something when I'm finished, and not be drooping everywhere. The stuff looks like PEX.

Originally Posted by billt460
I would not. I think that may be dangerous. They can explode and its shrapnel.

Why would it explode? Schedule 40 pipe has a pressure rating of 450 PSI. My compressor puts out 150 PSI max. And 90% of the time I run it, I've got the regulator turned down to 90 PSI or less.

"1" schedule 40 PVC pipe has a .133" minimum wall and 450 PSI."

https://www.google.com/search?sourc...5i39j0i131.D4KDenuk31I#spf=1565956185215

The piping is going to contain oil and water after just short use. How will this mess react with PVC sched40? I cant imagine well. Maybe a Chemist / ChemE can chime in.

Beswick 1/4" Polyurethane flexible tubing is used in industry for vacuum and compressed air. I would just go with that.

Do a search over on garagejournal.com about PVC air lines. It's been discussed to death over there countless times. The consensus: don't do it. It can and does burst, sending shrapnel everywhere. I'm currently plumbing my garage up with copper Type L pipe and soldering fittings. Black iron pipe is also an acceptable material.

I've had PVC and CPVC (mixed) for over 20 years and it's fine. 135psi max

1.5"??? You working on semi trucks?

Most of mine is 3/4" and 1/2"

Originally Posted by Linctex
I've had PVC and CPVC (mixed) for over 20 years and it's fine. 135psi max. 1.5"??? You working on semi trucks? Most of mine is 3/4" and 1/2"

My thinking with larger diameter than necessary is volume. The more the better when dealing with compressed air and pneumatic tools. My compressor only has an 10 gallon tank.

Part of the problem is water is not compressible, so there is little stored energy..
Air has a lot of stored energy so the rupture is LOUD.
The pieces fly a long way.
Copper is quite expensive to use, You do have to mount the air fittings securely
because copper will work harden and crack, The crack only leaks, it does not throw
shrapnel.
Get the kit from HF, I have used similar stuff for natural gas pipe it is way better than
Black Iron pipe.

A friend has had a commercial shop open for 10+ years with same Sch40 pvc lines the whole time without issue.

Still not sure if I would use them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back