Castrol Magnatec - Clinging Molecules Questions ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding #3:

I've seen pictures of 170K miles engine using Castrol GTX Magnatec (may have been on this site) and it had no sludge.

Not sure why Why says yes categorically?! If you abuse any engine, then maybe yes.

Originally Posted by Why
Magnetec...now with 200% more molecules!!!

Marketing gimmick, pure and simple. As to your questions:

1. Yes, it clings to adamantium and unobtainium better than kryptonite.
2. Yes, they've measured a .0002 increase in moles in the top end.
3. Yes. But not as sludgy as 80's Pennzoil.

*Even over EDGE ?
Originally Posted by dave1251
Startup wear using Magnatec is reduced to the point Castrol can claim it and not be slapped with lawsuits it's a fine oil and IMO the best PCMO in Castrol's portfolio.

ZeeOSix said:
Magnatec also has very good HTHS and Noack properties.[/quote
the stop start 5w30 has hths of 2.9 and 12.1 of noack,not somthing special but the tbn is 11.1,
been using it to seems to quiet down the cold starts.

Originally Posted by Shannow
Years ago, I was at a dinner, and sitting next to one of the Castrol chemists who was involved in the early testing of the magnatec.

He stated categorically tht it works.
Their test protocol on the test engines was
* baseline (Mobil 1 actually).
* flushing oil.
* test oil (magnatec)
* flushing oil
* baseline oil.
The magnatec made a measurable difference...then the "clinging" aspect allowed it to make a measurable difference in both the subsequent and baseline tests...they lost their (up to that point) repeatable bookend.
Valvoline amongst others make the claim on various of their additives as well.

Great insider info, Shannow….did he give you any insight into the nature of the special chemistry of Magnatec?

Years ago, I was at a dinner, and sitting next to one of the Castrol chemists who was involved in the early testing of the magnatec.

* flushing oil.
* test oil (magnatec)
* flushing oil
* baseline oil.

The magnatec made a measurable difference...then the "clinging" aspect allowed it to make a measurable difference in both the subsequent and baseline tests...they lost their (up to that point) repeatable bookend.

* flushing oil.
* test oil (magnatec)
* flushing oil
* baseline oil.

Well if an employee of the company says their product works, that should be definitive proof! I'm sold!

Why.
Why me
Why not

Must be a club here.

The guy Shannow was talking to was a expert in the business. I remember that thread. It was one of the most interesting discussions we have had here.

Do you have anything to offer?

Startup wear using Magnatec is reduced to the point Castrol can claim it and not be slapped with lawsuits it's a fine oil and IMO the best PCMO in Castrol's portfolio.

I believe you are right dave1251.

Originally Posted by PimTac

Originally Posted by Why
Magnetec...now with 200% more molecules!!!

Marketing gimmick, pure and simple. As to your questions:

1. Yes, it clings to adamantium and unobtainium better than kryptonite.
2. Yes, they've measured a .0002 increase in moles in the top end.
3. Yes. But not as sludgy as 80's Pennzoil.

I'd say not.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Why.
Why me
Why not

Must be a club here.

The guy Shannow was talking to was a expert in the business. I remember that thread. It was one of the most interesting discussions we have had here.

Does a healthy dose of skepticism count?

Originally Posted by Why

Not when it's just goofy nonsense. Technical reasoning would help.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by Why

Not when it's just goofy nonsense. Technical reasoning would help.

Never claimed to be an expert, and accordingly not trying to make the case that Magnetec isn't a fine oil. Just pointing out the folly of taking the word at face value of a: a marketing team and b: an employee of said company with a vested interest in that company. My failed attempt at humor does not invalidate my arguments.

* flushing oil.
* test oil (magnatec)
* flushing oil
* baseline oil.

How does Edge compare to this?

I find it interesting that Castrol generates all this marketing hoopla around Magnatec, but says nothing about Edge, leaving all the Edge users out there (myself included) a little butthurt.
smile.gif
Personally, I really don't care, but Castrol's literature makes it sound like their mid tier product is in some ways more fancy/advanced than their top of the line offering, which I find somewhat odd. Whatever it takes to make a sale, I guess.

And this is the million dollar question. Adding to that the fact that Magnatec is now fully synthetic make the relevancy of Edge Black a question mark.

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
*Even over EDGE ?

I would say as an early adopter, promoter(SS) and dumper (FS) and re adopter.

In the 30 grade its not best at fuel mileage, very cold start viscosity or ultimate power ( high RPM torque) generation

From back to back test in the Nissan QR25DE.

I like the SS better than the the "FS" in the 30 grade.

Running 5W20 Maggy in a sick engine as I type this

Last edited:
*So , as I said EDGE and Magnetec are now only $1.08 difference in price for a 5 qrt jug (WM) ... Is EDGE the better oil quality , add pack , base oil , etc. ??

as i understood the egde supposed to be for high revving hard working engines,magnatec for dd,even tho i was told by castrol uk that the edge is better in everything even in very short trips,cold starts or traffic that the magnatec is marketed for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back