Cops scanning my registration sticker? What for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They already have all the info on their computer, this cop took a grocery type scanner and scanned my registration sticker thru the windshield. She couldn't get it to work for some reason. Probably too dirty. Lol

My third brake light was out and coincidently we were at an auto zone where she pulled me over. Oh I didn't know it was out, but I can stop at auto zone and fix it real quick. Lol She gave me a warning. I can literally only check that light if I put something on the brake pedal. I frequently tow trailers so I check the lights by putting the hazards on, but that third light doesn't flash with the hazards on.

Anyways, what's up with them scanning my sticker now? Have they always done this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
Are you sure she wasn't scanning your VIN number?

She was scanning the bar code on the registration sticker

You know what's funny is when she pulled behind me and switched lanes, her blinker was blinking fast. She gave me a warning, so I wasn't going to get into that. Haha but I'm pretty sure that means her turn signal was out in the rear.

Theyll scan tags (bottom right theres a barcode) and vehicle registrations in Texas. Saw it in Dallas over the weekend, asked the cop why? She said it was to keep track of people parked in a 30 min parking zone on the street?

She also said it's used to keep track of warnings etc.

My guess is they scan it, put in that you got a warning, and if you get pulled over again for something, such as an out taillight, driving on a donut, etc, you cant use the "I didnt know about that!" Excuse, as it's now documented that you were told once before? Idk.

Last edited:
They scan tags automatically as they drive by but your must have had issues that's why she did it manually.

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
You know what's funny is when she pulled behind me and switched lanes, her blinker was blinking fast. She gave me a warning, so I wasn't going to get into that. Haha but I'm pretty sure that means her turn signal was out in the rear.

CITIZEN'S ARREST!!!
;^)

I'm just spitballing, but perhaps it's a check to see if the sticker was stolen? This happened to my wife several years ago. She got pulled over for no sticker. She showed the registration that came with the sticker when we bought it. So naturally she was in the clear, and we got another one no charge. The adhesive they use is pretty tough, but after a year in the Sun I'm always able to peel off my old one's if you go slow enough.

I drove to the dmv to transfer plates off a car I'm getting rid of to the one in my garage.

The DMV is under 5 miles from my home.

Got pulled over a mile and a half from the dmv and got to sit around a half hour because I had the "wrong plates on the wrong car"

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Rmay635703
Got pulled over a mile and a half from the dmv and got to sit around a half hour because I had the "wrong plates on the wrong car"

You're lucky that's all that happened. Most places would tow and impound a car for having the wrong plates.

They pull you over for this???
Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
driving on a donut

Last edited:
If I'm a single person with a car I fixed and one th
Originally Posted by atikovi

You're lucky that's all that happened. Most places would tow and impound a car for having the wrong plates.

As a single person how am I supposed to get from the dmv to my home?

Taxi service is nearly non existent

Not to get off topic, but,
I limit my contact with the judicial system and check my vehicle lights every three Months / don't wait for yearly inspection.
In the last 3 years, I had two bulbs need replacing.

Why did you get pulled over?

I don't get pulled over for anything.

Third light out!

So we pay traffic cops to harass us?

This is &^%%.

We've been puttinig up with this game for too long.

I rejoiced the day the registry cops were done in massachusetts decades ago.
They got seemingly bigger than the police force and were harassing everybody constantly for
NO GOOD REASON.

Its just a money making, union political dynasty building crock of muck.

rant over.

But to the OP, m_o_m, are you a suspicious appearing, scary looking dude?

Totally irrelevant how you are supposed to get from the dmv to your home. You don't do something illegal for convenience sake. Walk, bike, hitch hike. What would have happened if you got into an accident driving like that and it was your fault? Your insurance would deny coverage and the other party would be screwed.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

Third light out!

So we pay traffic cops to harass us?

This is &^%%.

We've been puttinig up with this game for too long.

I rejoiced the day the registry cops were done in massachusetts decades ago.
They got seemingly bigger than the police force and were harassing everybody constantly for
NO GOOD REASON.

Its just a money making, union political dynasty building crock of muck.

rant over.

But to the OP, m_o_m, are you a suspicious appearing, scary looking dude?

You might be surprised at how frequently more serious issues are uncovered during traffic stops. I would suggest that unless there is something else going on, the likelihood of getting a ticket for a 3rd brake light being out is pretty low.

As for it being a money making scheme, think about how many steps that ticket goes through between someone being pulled over, and the fine ending up in the government's hands. Considering most equipment fines are paltry (sub-$100), the overhead eats up the fine in a hurry.

Bull

I have insurance on both cars, so I could make it to the dmv after work transfer plates and go home and start driving it. I would have to take a day off work to have enough time to do what you ask which isn't happening.

The car I took the plates off is likely getting junked so if I did get into an accident my liability insurance should cover the other driver and the car would go the same place.

Using your logic to stay legal I am not allowed to transfer plates meaning I would have spent over $200 instead of the $80 I spent.

And we wonder why there are shootings , there has to be some common sense with law or we will fall into anarchy
Thankfully the cop understood this and left it with a warning, which is the correct response, there was nothing malicious going on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back