Tractor Advice

Looking at tractors to help with jobs around the hunting property. Primary use will be for brushogging monthly/bimonthly. I also plan to use loader for various projects. At this point, I am a weekend warrior. I was looking at a Kubota L2501 4x4 with a LA525 loader and a Land Pride RCR1260 brush hog. Any advice on the Kubota, Mahindra, or New Holland brands?

I've had my L2501 since about December. Front end loader, industrial tires, quick attach/ skid loader attachment on the bucket and rear liquid filled tires. Couldn't be happier although I just have a finishing mower and rear blade.

You should be able to handle the rotary cutter just fine, but you'll be pushing it to the max. I've seen some people run the 60" on the L3901 if that gives you any ideas. Keep it in low gear and just go slow.

I looked at the JD 3025E and it didn't interest me at all. Aluminum rear end (can't get a backhoe for it), 2 speed transmission, fuel tank behind the seat with a cheap fuel gauge on the filler cap, and the front end loader didn't come off; just the bucket. All that for 2k more.

Didn't test drive any other brands because my mind was set, but I wish I did just because I like tractors. Mahindras appear cheap to me and I've heard around here they are priced similar to Kubota. Since this is BITOG, I've also seen that their oil filters are unique and around $40 each. No thanks.

We don't have any other dealers locally aside from a small Kioti dealer 1 hour north that's not been around very long.

Don't see that you can go wrong with Kuboto....they are prob the largest dealers around. I've been running a Kioti Ck30 for last 8 years and love it. No issues at all. But they are small compared to Kuboto. Don't really know about Mahindra; New Holland looked good to me when I was shoppng years ago but were extremely pricy.

Can't go wrong with Kubota or New Holland for that size machine. Are you looking at new or slightly used? I'd say the New Holland Boomer tractors are my favorite for loader work.

For that size of tractor, I'd personally go with a Kubota because at least you will know who made it. You will be getting a Japanese engine, transmission, drivetrain, and Frame with an American made body, loader, etc. and you will know that you have long-term parts and service support.

The other manufacturers that you listed frequently sub their manufacturing out to others so it's hard to tell exactly who made the tractor you are looking at. Take the New Holland Workmaster 25S for example, it's actually an LS MT125 made in South Korea. When my wife and I were shopping for a subcompact tractor, we really liked the 25S but when I started asking about after purchase support, the NH dealer said that they were referring to the local LS dealer temporarily until they could hire/train a tech to work on the new machines coming out from NH.

Mahindra subs to Mitsubishi frequently and they don't build the same machines for too long of a run. I have a coworker with a 10 year old Mahindra 3316 (http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/006/2/9/6291-mahindra-3316.html) and his dealer has instructed him to look into buying a broken down "parts tractor" and stockpiling common parts from eBay because Mahindra has supposedly stopped parts support for his machine.

If you have the $$$$$ - get the orange machines from Japan. ( or REALLY burn the $$$$$ and buy Green & Yellow)

If you are on a budget, go with South Korean. THEY ARE so close... but I rate them:

1) Branson (Donkuk Kukje) - Genuine Cummins engine, and heavier than the others. If you can't appreciate tractor weight - you will learn.
Note: Kukje and TYM recently merged. I see TYM getting pushed heavily by dealers now.
2) Kioti - (Daedong Daedu) - solid machines (same as Bobcat branded tractors) - but kind of expensive, which is why I give 2nd place.
3) LS - also south Korean, they are the NEW SOURCE for New Holland (it used to be Shibaura from Japan). They are just "good", I've been hearing of some issues.

Don't spend the money on New Holland when you can get the same exact thing from LS.

With Mahindra,
the South Korean machines made by TYM are great.
Avoid the ones made in India.

I do not have any personal experience to share . So , if I was shopping , I would start out by searching youtube for those makes & models of tractors .

As has been said , be sure to consider the availability of parts and service , now and into the future .

Having said that , I am prejudiced in favor of USA made products . What does IH =- Case have in that product range ?

Best of luck to you , :)

I'd say one other important consideration especially if buying new would be dealer network. If I was to buy new, it would actually make the most sense for me to go John Deere, since there are about 3 local dealers which are all closer than the Kubota or New Holland dealer. They compete with each other for service and business. One in particular is outstanding and always has friendly staff and parts in stock.

I had a Kubota I used with a 5' finish mower. It was an older diesel. Great tractor. I sold it when I moved as less lawn and I need the exercise of a self propelled mower.

I'd go a size or two bigger than you think and then maybe used if your budget can't expand. I've got a 2011 Kioti DK40SE hst open station with Ag tires and its a good size/weight for general use not around the house or on a lawn IMO ~5800lbs with the loader and loader rear tires. It can pick up an end of dead car and wheel barrow it around, or push over a decent size tree after you chop a few roots with an axe. Also Ag tires usually come on adjustable rims so you can widen out the tractor for the hills.
As for which brand, you should see who the good dealers are in your area. Green or orange are a pretty safe bet if you think you might be trading it in or selling relatively soon but if the green guys sell mostly huge Ag stuff, you may not get a lot of attention when you need it. For me the only dealer that showed interest in selling to me other than quoting MSRP was my local Kioti dealer. He has a full size clean shop and would have no issues splitting the tractor if needed.
Odds are you are only going to be buying filters and fluids from the dealer anyways, but a buying from a dealer with no shop or a tractor mechanic probably is a bad idea.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
What does Case IH have in that product range ?

Case - International Harvester is now under the Fiat umbrella. (Now is known as Case New Holland International, CNH or CNHI)

None of the their smaller equipment is USA made, only the really BIG stuff.

Profits go back to the world headquarters in Italy..........

I'd rather give my money to the South Koreans, and get a better product anyway.

Another thing to consider is that anything new will have tier 4 emissions. Anything 26.5hp and above will have an ECM, diesel particulate filter, and sensors.

And, since this is "Bob Is The Oil Guy"...

Oil filter for L2501 should be HH164-32430...
Wix 51307

But Wix 51085 is same base, and threads, an inch longer...
And Wix 51515 is even longer...

Supersized is Wix 51773...

Oil - Shell Rotella T6 in 5W-40 or its hard to find little brother 0W-40...

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Another thing to consider is that anything new will have tier 4 emissions. Anything 26.5hp and above will have an ECM, diesel particulate filter, and sensors.

Very good point.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071

Very good point.

Im not entirely correct. I recently learned that Mahindras have a catalyst to burn off crud.

Not sure if they'd have an ECM or not and am also unsure of what is better long term. They (Mitsubishi) seem to be the only manufacturer doing it this way too.

ALL of the newer ones over 26.5 HP have a DPF, that requires a high load with a LOT of high temp to help burn off the soot that gathers.

Back - and - forth Loader work is VERY hard on them.
When the particle filter loads up, you need to go plowing for an hour or two.

Very good point.

Im not entirely correct. I recently learned that Mahindras have a catalyst to burn off crud.

Not sure if they'd have an ECM or not and am also unsure of what is better long term. They (Mitsubishi) seem to be the only manufacturer doing it this way too.

Originally Posted by Linctex

ALL of the newer ones over 26.5 HP have a DPF, that requires a high load with a LOT of high temp to help burn off the soot that gathers.

Back - and - forth Loader work is VERY hard on them.
When the particle filter loads up, you need to go plowing for an hour or two.

Very good point.

Mahindra does not have a DPF.

I see a lot of recommendations for compact utility tractors with front assist... Do you really need that?

Compact front assist tractors, especially with loaders can be a pain. And we all know the joys of modern diesels...

What about some older 2wd gas iron? Would that still fill your needs?

Have you considered LS? Check them out, I was considering the Deere but went LS due to the side by side components. Much more HD for less money. One look at the rear case on both will be all you need to see.

Originally Posted by The_Eric
I see a lot of recommendations for compact utility tractors with front assist... Do you really need that?

Compact front assist tractors, especially with loaders can be a pain. And we all know the joys of modern diesels...

What about some older 2wd gas iron? Would that still fill your needs?

If you've got flatter land I can see getting away without 4wd and getting a 5-6000lb 2wd. I run my tractor in 2wd for loader work with something heavy on the back until I start spinning. The HST is also a bonus for tractor work. Now that I have experience I probably could get away with a 2wd with loaded rears and chains, but for finnicky stuff the HST is still nice.

Back