Honda 1.8L; Shell Rotella Gas Truck 0W-20. (10,360 mi)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to be straight forward with this post. So I used Shell Rotella Gas Truck 0W-20 in a 2012 Honda Civic LX with a 1.8 liter SOHC engine (R18Z1). The oil has always been changed every 10,000 miles since brand new with full synthetic media oil filters and full synthetic 0W-20 motor oil. The oil change interval was from 168K-178K, May through August of 2019. Ran the oil for 10,360 miles exactly. I would say 95% highway miles, plus a round trip from Los Angeles to Denver. I used a Wix XP (57356XP) for the oil filter. I want to share my used oil analysis with the BITOG community and the guests who come across this thread when doing research about this oil. The reason I used this oil is because I have tried every oil that there is and this is brand new for the market. It is a SOPUS product which are known for being great lubricants. I am glad to answer any further questions you guys have about more specifics. Previous oil before I used Rotella was Valvoline full synthetic max life 0W-20 (my personal preference). Let's be nice to each other when we discuss and hopefully the $38 dollars I spent helps others.
Note*: I don't know why Blackstone put Rotella T6 0W-20, obviously a diesel engine oil would have more anti wear and more detergents.

20190815_180125.jpg

20190504_150331.jpg

Screenshot_20190805-031107_Photos.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good!

I have the Rotella Gas Truck 0w20 in my truck right now (I think I'm at 3,500 miles), can't complain...it's acting like any other oil I've used...same consumption, same noise levels from the engine. Seems fine.

I only bought it because it was relatively cheap at Walmart ($22), and they were running the rebate. I'll admit I was also intrigued by the high moly content...figured that would be "good". I'll probably buy I think again, as I think they're still running their rebate program until the end of the year. After that? I'm not sure.

Richard thank you for sharing, I am using this same oil for a 2018 Subaru Outback and I am confident that this is a solid offering from SOPUS. The Wix XP looks like it did a great job. So far I have been impressed with everything I have seen from UOAs for Rotella Gas Truck oil.

Looks fine. That engine is fully worn in, so there should be only trace wm given its reported usage.

I would try it too!

But, How is it different or better than QSUD?

I don't recall the qsud moly/boron levels for comparison sake.

In any event, The red bottle with the truck towing a boat makes me feel good about it
- even before I put it in the engine!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Looks fine. That engine is fully worn in, so there should be only trace wm given its reported usage.

I would try it too!

I don't recall the qsud moly/boron levels for comparison sake.

In any event, The red bottle with the truck towing a boat makes me feel good about it
smile.gif

Here's you go. These are from the Bitog collection of VOAs, but in 5w30.

7E1F3AFF-40D6-43B6-B671-D7034E38D874.jpeg

Last edited:
What's with the low flash point of PP and now apparently SRGT 0w20 oils? They look great everywhere else, but their published and UOA flash point seems to always be low.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Here's you go. These are from the Bitog collection of VOAs, but in 5w30.

Nice

I think I recall that but I didnt DL it to my oil files. Looks to be a TBN Bump wth the 300PPM more Ca

Eveything else looks to be in range of error - sa far as RGT vs. QSUD goes.

Thanks
-Ken

I appreciate you guys enjoy the results. Once the oil was in stock, I wanted to use this oil so I can be one of the first to have a UOA on this specific oil. The oil did its job just like every other oil I have used. This oil does have a $10 rebate until the end of 2019 so that is pretty awesome. Wix XP does a great job while people yet believe they are terrible at filtration.

Looks fine.

smile.gif

Car started to grow a grille guard

Originally Posted by rojeda562
Wix XP does a great job while people yet believe they are terrible at filtration.

I have used Wix several times and have no problem with them.
That being said I, like many here and elsewhere, prefer the Fram Ultra due to its industry leading efficiency. I am a Subaru guy and most people I see using Wix do so because of the bypass spec which IMHO is not the big deal many make it out to be due to pressure differential and the fact that there are so many filters available with a higher flow capacity than the OEM Subaru oil filter with that near mythical bypass spec (which is a Fram Extra Guard in a blue can).

Originally Posted by 4WD
Looks fine.

smile.gif

Car started to grow a grille guard

Ha, HA!

now that is hilarious!

Luckily it didn't start to grow those wierd rubber things hanging on the hitch
blush.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back