2008 Ford Escape Trans drain and fill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time for another drain and fill on my 2008 Ford Escape with 4 speed transmission. This will be the 4th time in 85,000 miles
Always used MC Mercon V but my local parts store is now a Carquest and they don't stock MC
My off the shelf choices now are
Castrol, Valvoline, ST, STP
So you guys pick what you think is the better choice

Whichever is Mercon V, and not just recommended for Mercon V applications, would be my choice.

Originally Posted by tig1
M1 ATF works great in Ford Trans.

M1
Is not an off the shelf brand for me
Not available

Last edited:
I would recommend Valvoline Maxlife ATF. Meets all the Mercon Specs. About $17 a gallon at Walmart, I order from their site and have it shipped to my door.

Just did a drain and fill on my sonata with it, great product.

how are they priced? RockAuto has the Motorcraft Mercon V for $4.30/qt...
how many qts you need?

I just got 6 qts of Mercon LV from them($4.26/qt) + a readily available 5% code, shipped, for $34.45 TOTAL.

they also messed up my order and ALSO shipped me 6 qts of MC Full Syn 5w30 that they didn't charge me for(nor did I order it.)....I was honest with them, and they sent me a prepaid return label for the motor oil...grr...darn morals....

Last edited:
Originally Posted by earlyre
how are they priced? RockAuto has the Motorcraft Mercon V for $4.30/qt...
how many qts you need?

I just got 6 qts of Mercon LV from them($4.26/qt) + a readily available 5% code, shipped, for $34.45 TOTAL.

they also messed up my order and ALSO shipped me 6 qts of MC Full Syn 5w30 that they didn't charge me for(nor did I order it.)....I was honest with them, and they sent me a prepaid return label for the motor oil...grr...darn morals....

Only need 4 quarts for a drain a fill
I can buy the mentioned brands for around $5.00 bucks a quart
I buy from RA a lot but shipping can be pricey

JustinH said:
I would recommend Valvoline Maxlife ATF. Meets all the Mercon Specs. About $17 a gallon at Walmart, I order from their site and have it shipped to my door.

I have used this in my 98 Expedition since my first transmission fluid and filter change when I took ownership from previous owner with 125k miles, no problems with it yet at 236k miles. Also put it in my transfer case.
I also found Valvoline tech support to be helpful when I was deciding which I was going to switch over to.

Max life is a brand I can pick from Wally World
But as I stated in the beginning I'm only looking at
Mercon V only
Not a multi brand like max life

Either Castrol or Valvoline will serve you fine. I think Castrol makes a good product for the price point in transmission oil, used it on an older Envoy (no longer have) and it improved the shifting quite a bit.

See what the local Ford dealer charges. They weren't all that expensive last time I bought some MC Mercon LV for a family member's car.

Originally Posted by kstanf150
Originally Posted by tig1
M1 ATF works great in Ford Trans.

M1
Is not an off the shelf brand for me
Not available

It's sold at my local Advance auto store.

Originally Posted by kstanf150
Max life is a brand I can pick from Wally World
But as I stated in the beginning I'm only looking at
Mercon V only
Not a multi brand like max life

This is why I went with Castrol Mercon V in my ranger pan drop two weeks ago. Instantly had better shifts and has significantly helped TC slip/chatter. I wouldn't go with maxlife in my situation because it did not specifically say mercon v but that's my piece of mind at the end of the day, not bashing maxlife.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back