2AZ-FE after oil fixes - Synthetic okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First time posting. So please excuse if I made any errors. I did search the forum for oil consumption, only found threads related to how folks handled the issue and oil they used. Didnt find any threads related to experiences post the toyota fixes. Hence my post below.

I have a 2007 RAV4 with 2AZ-FE engine currently at 99k miles. It failed the oil consumption test in Oct 2016 and Toyota installed new pistons/rings around 70k miles. Post that engine has not been burning oil and no leaks (touch wood). I have always used dino oil (5W-20) and oil changed every 5k miles at lube express/Valvoline.

I had mistakenly purchased HM synthetic, I plan to return it since I read on the forum HM not recommended if the engine is not showing any leaks.

Now after reviewing this forum, thinking of doing my own oil change. Few questions.

1. Can I change to synthetic? [found many synthetic 5q oil jugs on sale. cheaper than dino after rebates). Pepboys have Pennzoil and Valvoline Synthetic on sale 2. Synthetic - do I need to stay with 5W-20 or recommend 5w-30 to avoid any issues moving to Synthetic?
3. Or should I stay with Dino oil? thinking of Castrol GTX or any synblend

I have a 2003 Rav 4 155,000 miles, Ive ran 10w30 mostly , Valvoline seems to do very well in it.

My wife drives the vehicle about 10,000 miles per year, so I change the oil in june and December. Some of the Valvoline oils are now labeled semi syn, like the 5w30, since my walmart doesn't seem to carry the Dino 10w30 anymore.

I did run Valvoline full syn back when it was fairly new, but mostly its been on Dino oil, I like the Valvoline personally , be careful with GTX unless doing short oil changes, something in its makeup, will plague up on a long intervals

Originally Posted by Smith5361
Personally Id run quality Amsoil. Either OE or XL line if you are concerned about pricing.

If you're gonna go the ordering oil route I'd run Toyota Genuine Motor Oil before I'd run Amsoil, it's cheaper and considered one of the best on here.

Personally Id run quality Amsoil. Either OE or XL line if you are concerned about pricing.

OP has already figured out rebates. Why pay more for Amsoil?

As Mackelroy stated, dino 10w30 will work fine. That's what I used, sans winter, with the same engine as yours for 11 years on two cars. The second car, Scion XB, recommended 0w20 but xw30 was what the engine was originally designed for. Conversely, we use 5w20 in our 2014 Camry with the next generation 2.5L engine. The engine was designed for that viscosity. 0w20 synthetic allows for extended drains.

As far as HM oils, there's not enough of a drastic difference to warrant changing out. A lot of it is just marketing. Case in point: look up the PDS for Mobil Super 5K (USA) and Mobil Super 2000 HM (CDN)

My 2009 2AZ-FE absolutely loved this oil,Signature Series 5W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil. if you could control the throttle outstanding mileage was possible.

Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis

If you're gonna go the ordering oil route I'd run Toyota Genuine Motor Oil before I'd run Amsoil, it's cheaper and considered one of the best on here.

If its pricing then hit up the QSUD or even Supertech Synthetic. Easy availability,no shipping,no dues and you can get 24/7 at Wally.

Originally Posted by Marco620
Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis

If its pricing then hit up the QSUD or even Supertech Synthetic. Easy availability,no shipping,no dues and you can get 24/7 at Wally.

This^
It's a Toyota, its gonna love any API SN you can throw at it. Find what you like in your price range and roll with it. Anything you find at walmart that meets viscosity specifications and is API SN will work. Most walmarts even have Toyota OEM filters on hand for your convenience.

Id suggest something like QSUD or RGT 5/10w30 and a Toyota filter, cant go wrong.

If you're down for ordering, the TGMO would be my choice, sometimes you can find it on the cheap at dealers as well.

Originally Posted by Mackelroy
I have a 2003 Rav 4 155,000 miles, Ive ran 10w30 mostly , Valvoline seems to do very well in it.

My wife drives the vehicle about 10,000 miles per year, so I change the oil in june and December. Some of the Valvoline oils are now labeled semi syn, like the 5w30, since my walmart doesn't seem to carry the Dino 10w30 anymore.

I did run Valvoline full syn back when it was fairly new, but mostly its been on Dino oil, I like the Valvoline personally , be careful with GTX unless doing short oil changes, something in its makeup, will plague up on a long intervals

GTX will plague up - doing short intervals? I was planning every 5k miles? do you recommend more frequent?

Originally Posted by torajm
Originally Posted by Mackelroy

GTX will plague up - doing short intervals? I was planning every 5k miles? do you recommend more frequent?

For the most part, every 5w20 or 5w30 SN+ conventional oil is semi-syn, we're now entering the great re-branding quandary. What do you label the 5w30 when the 10w30 is still conventional?

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your quick response. I am going to try Valvoline or Pennzoil 5w-30 synthetic. Got a fumoto valve to drain easy next time as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back