Question about Ford -F1 diesel oil spec

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't intend to get into a CK-4 or Ford debate. But, when Ford first released the F1 spec they said that the spec would require an oil to meet CK-4 specs, plus FMC's 6.7 wear test(s). As an interim measure, Ford allowed any oil that was CK-4 and also had min. 1000 ppm phosphorous to be on the approved list. Now, almost three years later, we are still talking about a 1000 ppm phosphorus requirement. The releases I saw indicated that the (arbitrary?) 1000 ppm would go away and be replaced with a wear test. Does anyone know if this actually happened? If so, I'd think DELO and certain Mobil products could make the list unless there really is a wear issue with those oils.

I have two questions:
1) are oils being added to this list based on passing the 6.7 wear test?
and
2) are oils previously on the list due to the 1000 ppm phosphorus requirement being removed from the list due to failing or not participating in the 6.7 wear test?

I haven't heard if there's been any progress in the requirements to be so certified. We've seen indications that some of the oils on the list may have lower phosphorus than 1000 ppm, but no smoking gun, to say the least. Certainly, Mobil and others could make a product to be on the list. Mobil has a bulk only product on the list, at the very least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back