ValvTect Marine Gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know boat marinas have high octane gas which could make for some good racing fuel and I've been wanting to experiment with it for awhile, seeing whether I'll see an increase in power or mileage. 91 is the highest you can get at most "civilian" stations so I want to try the high-test marine gas.

A few marinas around me have 95 octane ValvTect gasoline which is a "marine formula" but realistically I could run it in a car or lawnmower with no issues, assuming I was tuned to run that sort of octane?

Purely curious.

Last edited:
Only thing that comes to mind is that, unless you need the octane to prevent pre-ignition, you're wasting time and money and may actually lower your performance.

You're near the corn belt so you should be able to get super high octane ethanol gas instead right?

Marina gas is nothing special and it's usually overpriced.

[Linked Image]

Only place I've seen the high octane ethanol gas is at Sheetz while out traveling but nowhere near me locally. I live in Grove City.

ValvTect can be purchased in bottles as well, and added to the gas. I believe ValvTect does nothing special for the octane- its more like an additive like Techron. For some reason it seems to be popular at some marinas.

Last time we filled up on Lake St. Clair, marine gas (90 octane) was $3.95. The gas station next door was $3.85 for premium (91 Octane) . That includes $0.36 fuel tax, so marine gas is around $0.35 per gallon more.

I want to try it just once for S&G and see what differences I notice if any. I know Deer Creek marina here has 110 octane lead-free I might look into it.

Give it a shot and report back. This is a fairly safe thing to pursue if you want to live on the edge or have some fun this weekend.

My tank is currently half full with 87 so I figured filling a 5 gallon can with it and topping it off with that couldn't hurt eh?

Originally Posted by NO2
Last time we filled up on Lake St. Clair, marine gas (90 octane) was $3.95. The gas station next door was $3.85 for premium (91 Octane) . That includes $0.36 fuel tax, so marine gas is around $0.35 per gallon more.

Try 44.13 cents per gallon for MI state fuel tax along with 18.4 cents Federal fuel tax for a cumulative 62.53 cents per gallon at any retail gas outlet for road fuel.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back