Finally found one New car SUB WRX pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Ws6

Yep, not sure on the year, but yeah, and the Outback interior will be similar to what the WRX/STi interior gets. All that's left to the imagination is the exterior at this point, and whether or not Scooby will get some real power out of that 2.4. There is no reason they can't, but...will they? It needs 400hp in the Sti to make sense, when you have 460hp Mustang GT's rolling around for $30K and the Ford Focus RS of yester-year pumping out 350/350. Just my .02 .

The FA 24 is a bored out FA20. the FA 20 can put out 268 HP(Japan), so the FA24 could be good for 330+.. Question is..what do they put in the plain WRX. I assume the RJ 25 will be all but dead by 2022

Now I don'g expect the WRX tp compete seriously with the 400 HP types. Subary will be content with it being in the top 5%..in terms of quickness.

One thing..the EJ is eminently mod friend friendly to over 400HP

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Al
Originally Posted by Ws6

Yep, not sure on the year, but yeah, and the Outback interior will be similar to what the WRX/STi interior gets. All that's left to the imagination is the exterior at this point, and whether or not Scooby will get some real power out of that 2.4. There is no reason they can't, but...will they? It needs 400hp in the Sti to make sense, when you have 460hp Mustang GT's rolling around for $30K and the Ford Focus RS of yester-year pumping out 350/350. Just my .02 .

The FA 24 is a bored out FA20. the FA 20 can put out 268 HP(Japan), so the FA24 could be good for 330+.. Question is..what do they put in the plain WRX. I assume the RJ 25 will be all but dead by 2022

Now I don'g expect the WRX tp compete seriously with the 400 HP types. Subary will be content with it being in the top 5%..in terms of quickness.

One thing..the EJ is eminently mod friend friendly to over 400HP

They need to beef up the wrx though. It's barely faster than my cx5 0-60 and through the quarter (within a few tenths), even with a near redline clutch drop. That's not okay for a " sporty " vehicle.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
How reliable is the EJ transmission at 400 HP ?

The STI gear-train should be able to handle 400HP just fine - it's the strongest (and oldest part of the STI), with helical LSD in the front, driver-controlled center differential and Torsen LSD in the rear.

The EJ257 is the weak spot, IMO. I wouldn't personally push a stock EJ257 to 400 HP.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by gathermewool
Thanks for all of the dyno graphs and vids.

I think there's a consensus that the FA24DIT will be the STI's next engine...In 2022

Yep, not sure on the year, but yeah, and the Outback interior will be similar to what the WRX/STi interior gets. All that's left to the imagination is the exterior at this point, and whether or not Scooby will get some real power out of that 2.4. There is no reason they can't, but...will they? It needs 400hp in the Sti to make sense, when you have 460hp Mustang GT's rolling around for $30K and the Ford Focus RS of yester-year pumping out 350/350. Just my .02

Regardless, right now, I think OP did best buying a loaded out WRX > STi, and that's having driven both cars.

350/350 maybe, but I would bet money they don't even go that high. We'll see.

The WRX and STI have shared the EJ motor before (257 vs 255 differences noted). There's no reason they can't throw a bigger turbo, forged internals, and a better tune on the STI and dump the same exact package the Ascent has into the WRX (plus an appropriate tune). THAT sounds more like what a money-saving make like Subaru would do.

The one thing I DON'T think they'll do, now that there's barely any competition in the segment, is get rid of the STI. That's NOT to say that there aren't those who don't cross-shop a Mustang with a WRX/STI, but I would guess that this comparo doesn't result in a substantial number of STI sales.

//

I would still have my STI today, despite its 21 MPG average, had it not gotten hit and almost totaled. It was never the same and I was sad to get rid of it for fear of major failures in the near future. I got it during the 2009 fire sale for just over 30K, which was a screaming hot deal. I cannot justify paying $40k for a car with such an outdated power-train these days, that gets such crappy gas mileage and makes for a rough DD.

The Legacy XT (and its direct competitors) is where I'm looking for my next car, to replace my current Legacy. This will likely be after they actually make the new Legacy look like a new Legacy (hopefully during the first refresh) and get all of the bugs worked out of the new system. I also can't stand the giant tablet infotainment screen and reduced number of physical buttons and knobs. I'm only in my 30s, but I still want buttons and knobs, not a touch screen that will screw me when it fails.

Originally Posted by Al

Doesnt it make FA20 295 hp in japan?

The EJ257 is the weak spot, IMO. I wouldn't personally push a stock EJ257 to 400 HP.

The stock tune is the weakest spot.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by DaRider34
Originally Posted by Al

Doesnt it make FA20 295 hp in japan?

The stock tune is the weakest spot.

The pistons are very fragile and a random knock even with slaughter them at around 400ish with the cylinder pressures involved on that engine, at 400ish. The tune sucks OEM, yes, but the physical internals themselves are also an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back