Why manufacturer would only recommends Semi Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
So im in the market for a new bike and per the owners manual the bike requires a JASO MA2 oil in 15w-50 but requires it to be Semi-Synthetic. Any reason not to use a traditional motorcycle JASO MA2 Synthetic?

Thank you all in advance

EDIT: This is for an Air-cooled Royal Himilayan 2019

Originally Posted by Imp4
Shared sump?

Yep, 5 Speed. I looked on amsoils site and they have a full synthetic which meets their requirements (obviously no certifications). It just got me wondering.

Some of the synthetics are considered too slippery for the shared sump applications.
That's why they'll spec dino or semi-syn.

It's highly unlikely this is related, however... Back in my German auto parts days, when synths started showing up on the scene, a lot of guys with older, high mileage cars, thinks 70s and 80s Porsches and BMWs, started having problems with leaking seals, where they had none before. It was determined the smaller molecules of the synths would make their way past the tired seals, so we began recommending they stick with conventional dino oil and the problems resolved themselves. I can't imagine anyone in this day and age would use materials that would be susceptible to this, but then again, Enfield is an Indian company known for making low cost bikes, so who knows if they cut corners on some of the materials. IDK... Just throwing that out there.

When the manufacture recommends Semi Synthetics which is a possible 50 50 mix of Synthetic's uniform molecules and Mineral's varying molecules what is also true is that the engine will reach your mileage expectations with either 100% Dino or 100% Synthetic...

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Cant you get a slightly heavier film thinkness from dino/grp 3 vs PAO? Semi-syn might get recommended to help seat rings and such would be my guess.

What specific bike and year? More than likely, you'll have no issue running a full synth oil. My bike originally recommended Honda GN4 conventional oil, but ever since I've owned it, I've just ran synthetic (usually Rotella T6) and never experience any negative issues. And I've put 38k miles on it with synthetic.

What specific bike and year? More than likely, you'll have no issue running a full synth oil. My bike originally recommended Honda GN4 conventional oil, but ever since I've owned it, I've just ran synthetic (usually Rotella T6) and never experience any negative issues. And I've put 38k miles on it with synthetic.

They recommend it for continued use not just break in.

Likely, I'll just use Bel-ray or maybe even step up to Amsoil who will stand behind any issues that airise. The bike will largely be taken on some longer Dual Sport trips but not ridden too often.

For what its worth I get terrible shifting performance when I tried synthetic motorcycle oils. Went back to Valvoline conventional motorcycle 10W40 oil and it shifts WAY better. Perhaps this old style bike just likes old style oil.

Originally Posted by ad244
So im in the market for a new bike and per the owners manual the bike requires a JASO MA2 oil in 15w-50 but requires it to be Semi-Synthetic. Any reason not to use a traditional motorcycle JASO MA2 Synthetic?

Thank you all in advance

Doing some checking, the bike calls for a 6,200 mile oil change interval. They do want a 15w50, and to get that viscosity range covered it has to be at least partially synthetic. That's my take on it based on what you have shared. Mystic JT8 15w50 semi syn is what I would check out. Otherwise Mobil 1 15w50 would work fine and the oil leakage issues of synthetic oils are from 40 years ago when they first came out and did not have their additive packages figured out.

I'm going to be picking up a new Can-Am F3-S Spyder next week. The manual calls for 5w-40 semi synthetic blend oil. How many oil companies make that ? Only one I can find is BRP XPS 5w-40, and yup, can-am's house brand. That's kinda crap. I'll be using 10w40 variants...

I'm sure they recommend the semi-synthetic for it being air cooled but I'd have no issues running a full synthetic motorcycle oil that was jaso ma or ma2 in the viscosity that's required by RE.

Originally Posted by troop
That's kinda crap. I'll be using 10w40 variants...

A 40 grade full syn uniformity and purity will easily meet and exceed a semi syn 40 grade specification by Can Am's own thinking and employing an equivalent will not effect warranty coverage...

Quote Can Am

Is synthetic oil better? What are the advantages?

Yes. Because synthetics are highly refined, many oil impurities are
removed and the oil has a consistent molecular structure. Synthetic
oils are high performance fluids that provide better protection from
reduced friction (especially at low and high engine temperature),
promote a cleaner engine, and they are more resilient to thermal
breakdown. Because they are more consistent and more oxidatively
stable, they provide better engine protection to promote a longer
engine life and peak engine performance.

Is use of XPS necessary for me to ensure warranty coverage?

No, however use of equivalent oil within specification often must be
used to ensure warranty coverage.

OK that takes care of the 90% base oil... if you wish to know for sure the other 10% of XPS additive package submit an VOA to Blackstone Labs...

The main reason to recommend or run a convention or semi synthetic in air cooled engines is a lot of times the tolerances are not as tight and you get more blow-by, typically hotter temperatures and the oil is contaminated sooner and it needs to be changed more often. Customers are more likely to change it more often if the oil does not cost him as much.

My 1980 Yamaha XS1100 had a 2500 mile oci. Shift quality was falling off by then so I would have changed it regardless. But it happened to fall in line with Yamaha's recommendation. They probably knew something, as shift quality goes away as an oil shears down and becomes more contaminated with the byproducts of combustion.

Royal Enfield recommends 10,000 kilometers or 6,200 miles. That's a lot of miles between changes most for any engine, regardless, so it must be a particularly under stressed engine with very efficient combustion, IMO.

Originally Posted by Merek
I'm sure they recommend the semi-synthetic for it being air cooled but I'd have no issues running a full synthetic motorcycle oil that was jaso ma or ma2 in the viscosity that's required by RE.

What is air cooled ? The Rotax 1330cc in-line triple is liquid cooled.

I'm pretty sure the US Spec for oil changes is 3,000 on the RE Himalayan.

Some people use synthetics and have had oil leaks spring up. So maybe that has something to do with it?

Originally Posted by ad244

Thank you all in advance

So you can use any motorcycle specific 15W50 oil you can find.They all are at least Semi Synthetic or better (Full Synthetic).
Problem solved.
thumbsup2.gif

Because conventional oil has some very good anti wear/lubrication characteristics that synthetic does not as the refining process from conventional to synthetic removes it which then is added back in by the refiner. Dont ask me what it is because I do not remember but some research on your part should help. It MIGHT have something to do with the "wax" that gets refined out.

Bottom line, it doesnt matter, both oils are good but I to this day only use I conventional and semi/syn oils. They all meet the same API standards and half the conventional oils out there already are semi syn. Granted, I do change oils before the recommended mileage change in all my vehicles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back