Dale Jr's plane crashes outside of Bristol, TN

Status
Not open for further replies.
The number of aviation incidents involving NASCAR drivers/owners is very strange. Definitely higher than the everyday odds.

Originally Posted by Greggy_D
The number of aviation incidents involving NASCAR drivers/owners is very strange. Definitely higher than the everyday odds.

They are also flying a lot more than the average person. Besides to and from the races, there are multiple appearances throughout the week for sponsors.

And there are people that fly private jets more than the NASCAR folks. But you don't see the number of incidents anywhere close to what surrounds them.

And there are people that fly private jets more than the NASCAR folks. But you don't see the number of incidents anywhere close to what surrounds them.

+1 exactly

Originally Posted by dave123

+1 exactly

Or is it that these 'others' are not newsworthy. That's what gets my vote. No one cares if hot-shot Joe Blow business man lawn darts his Gulfstream, but people know the Mark Martins, Jack Roush (Although, he has probably had WAY more crashes than average), Bill Hendricks, Etc.

Some are not jets. I believe it was Alan Kulwicki who died in the crash of a Merlin III twin turboprop. (Similar to a King Air). Aside from mechanical issues, any plane is only as safe as it's pilot.

This might be more perception than anything else. Those of us who are older will remember how a lot of music celebrities died in plane crashes. It was almost a regular occurrence way back when.

Scary video of that crash site and it sounds lucky that everyone on board got out safe. You get out of racing because it is too dangerous and then this happens!

ELIZABETHTON, Tenn. (WJHL)- An initial report released by the Federal Aviation Administration revealed more about a plane crash involving Dale Earnhardt Jr. and his family.

The description in that FAA report reads, "Aircraft experienced hard landing, bounced, departed runway, and caught fire."

NTSB officials arrived in Elizabethton Friday morning to investigate the crash.

Just one pilot? Since the article only mentioned 3 people yesterday. I thought two pilots were needed for jets like this.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Just one pilot? Since the article only mentioned 3 people yesterday. I thought two pilots were needed for jets like this.

There were 2 pilots, 3 passengers, and their dog Gus.

Yeah, the right landing gear collapsed after the aircraft was forced down at too high a speed and bounced twice.
Clearly pilot error, despite what the NTSB clowns had to say.
Any pilot of anything can see this.

Originally Posted by ctechbob
Or is it that these 'others' are not newsworthy. That's what gets my vote. No one cares...

I haven't read any of the stories related to this, only headlines, but based on the headlines, I was under the impression that Dale Jr could have been flying the plane. No headline I read until yesterday mentioned anyone other than him and his wife.... Kinda sad

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by ctechbob
Or is it that these 'others' are not newsworthy. That's what gets my vote. No one cares...

I haven't read any of the stories related to this, only headlines, but based on the headlines, I was under the impression that Dale Jr could have been flying the plane. No headline I read until yesterday mentioned anyone other than him and his wife.... Kinda sad

I didn't think he was a pilot. Chase Elliott is multi engine rated.

The aircraft had 2 professional pilots flying it.
I can say no more, I don't work for the company and have no tie to the aircraft, but all I can say is none of the passengers to my knowledge are rated to fly a jet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back