Blown Rod? Tecumseh 10hp Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neighbor was moving and gave me this Champion generator due to engine noise. Here is what it sounds like.
Any idea what it might be?
Worth repairing or scrap yard?

Can't tell. Those do have a tendency to fail. Does it have any compression? How's the oil look?

If the engine is bad, replacements are cheap PRICE: $139.95 . This one "might" fit. Run the replacement on Mobil 1, 15W-50, change every 50 hours use, and it's likely to have a long life.

Note: the replacement engine I listed "might" be misprint of 305cc it might be more.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/Engin...seh-Generator-Engine-LH358XA-28-1741.axd

Last edited:
Tecumseh used to have a camshaft oil pump. if the oil was not changed it would sludge and plug. Briggs was oil slinger and it would always throw the sludge. No oil got them both.

You can take it apart, and if the mains are good, then clean the pump and passages. Polish the rod journal on the crank using sandpaper, finish with 1000 wet or dry with oil Once smooth you can file the mating surface of the rod to shrink it and scrape it to fit. It can then run many more hours. If mains are gone, it is gone.

Rod

Originally Posted by Cujet
Can't tell. Those do have a tendency to fail. Does it have any compression? How's the oil look?

If the engine is bad, replacements are cheap PRICE: $139.95 . This one "might" fit. Run the replacement on Mobil 1, 15W-50, change every 50 hours use, and it's likely to have a long life.

Note: the replacement engine I listed "might" be misprint of 305cc it might be more.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/Engin...seh-Generator-Engine-LH358XA-28-1741.axd

I wouldn't put too much money into it.. i already have a newer more powerful Generac generator. But if worth repairing and selling I'd do it.

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
Tecumseh used to have a camshaft oil pump. if the oil was not changed it would sludge and plug. Briggs was oil slinger and it would always throw the sludge. No oil got them both.

You can take it apart, and if the mains are good, then clean the pump and passages. Polish the rod journal on the crank using sandpaper, finish with 1000 wet or dry with oil Once smooth you can file the mating surface of the rod to shrink it and scrape it to fit. It can then run many more hours. If mains are gone, it is gone.

Rod

Thanks Rod. I might pull it apart and inspect. I pulled harder on the pull and it sounded much worse and lots of "slap" inside the crankcase.

Originally Posted by old1
that engine has no compression, and is most likely a broken rod. Won't know if its is worth repairing till it is apart.

The spark plug is out of it to make it easier for me to spin. I do think the rod is still connected to the piston as I heard suction. But lots of noise in the bottom of the crankcase and loud "slapping"

Thanks everyone for the quick reply!

i have the same motor in my old generator and it sounds like that. you should start it and how it runs. that engine is very loud when running

I never owned a Tecumseh that I thought was worth the trouble of keeping.

I'm not a fan of them AT ALL....... good riddance

I liked tecumsehs back in the day, but compared to everything out there now, I wouldn't touch this one for any more than a minor refresh. For anything else, I'd simply replace it. If I wanted a fun project, I'd consider a predator replacement or even look into a diesel for a "toy." If I wanted something reliable I'd be looking at a honda, yamaha, or upper level briggs. Even the entry level OHV B&S on my ZTR has been plenty reliable and stout for regular use. Replacement selection could be limited by PTO dimensions.

I had one that dropped the head off an exhaust valve.
I suspect you'll find that given the cost of repair parts, you're better off with a new Harbor Freight engine, or perhaps whole gen set.

My Chonda in my Generac would sound like this if I didn't step right up to 10W30 Valvoline Racing Synthetic with a 1/2 oz of LiquiMoly.

The plain jane 5w30 dino I had in for the second fill was knocking like a wood pecker after about a 1/2 hour under load.

Not So with the above mix.

Stay away from ILSAC oils in hard worked ODPE.

I guess I should change that magic mix after 10 years now that I think about it.

Was going to do M1 0W40 next but I have changed my mind (for no good reason really)

My Tecumseh Snowking had a light rap after a couple years but out lasted the housing of the MTD snowblower.

well over 20 years of hard use. Mainly used QS red bottlle Defy and then some excellent Bronze Bottle PHM SS( before the Dexos remake). That machine didnt like the P Gold bottle Dexos stuff . Cant say why.

I always felt Tecumseh made a good engine if you took care of them. They do not tolerate dirty oil, and dirty gas as well because they have the better technology of an oil pump and float carburetor. Back when Briggs was all aluminum bore no liners the Tecumseh was a better engine in my opinion. The 3.5 horsepower push mower engine had way more power than a Briggs. I have swapped them on the same deck and blade to replace bent crank Briggs motors. You had way more power with them, you really noticed on Bermuda grass. The pull start was not as good and they did not like water in the gas so you needed to store outside. The crank was harder to bend and they used less fuel and made more power.

Rod

Tecumseh horizontal crankshaft engines have splash lubrication, just like B&S, not an oil pump. This engine has a broken connecting rod. How did it happen? It was either run low on oil or overfilled (not typically the case on horizontal crankshaft engines).
It is repairable if there isn't a hole in the crankcase (a chunk missing). Polish the crankshaft journal with fine emory cloth to get the aluminum transfer off and replace the connecting rod. If there is a crack in the crankcase just use JBWeld on the outside to cover the crack. I have repaired many dozens of them like this. If the engine has a lot of hours on it you might want to consider replacing the rings while you have it apart.
It is best to use SAE30 in it during warmer weather. If it will be used in the winter use synthetic 10w-30. Check the oil level at each fuel fill.

Last edited:
I have a similar machine with a Briggs 10 hp. It's not a big generator, only 4 kWe. Looks like a typical low end machine. Cheap, but loud and hard on gas and short lived.

Originally Posted by Linctex
I never owned a Tecumseh that I thought was worth the trouble of keeping.

I'm not a fan of them AT ALL....... good riddance

Never had a problem with them and I owned many.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back