Which serpentine belt brand?

I am replacing the idler pulleys on my '13 Jeep Wrangler and want to go ahead and put a new serpentine belt on. I've read quite a few reviews on different belts and seems Bando, Gates, and Continental all get good reviews. Locally, the Continental and Gates are in stock. Which belt do you like or prefer and why? Note...the Continental is not the Elite (gator back). I seem to remember reading that they were phasing them out.

I'm a big fan of Gates belts and they're what I use on everything(whether serpentine or V) but realistically I think all the major makers make a good product these days.

As long as the bearings aren't made in China you should be fine. But even a new Chinese-made bearing is lots better than a worn one, obviously.

Originally Posted by Bottom_Feeder
As long as the bearings aren't made in China you should be fine. But even a new Chinese-made bearing is lots better than a worn one, obviously.

Thanks. The idler pulleys are coming direct from Jeep. I am looking for feedback on the belt.

Last October I replaced the original belt in the 05 car with a Bando belt based on the recommendations here. It has worked great so far. Price was very good also. Either on Amazon or Rockauto, I forget which at the moment.

I had an independent mechanic replace it along with the intake manifold gasket and new front brakes(pads and rotors). So had a few things done at the same time. He charged $200 and I supplied all the major parts.

I like conti more personally, they tend to be quieter with the textured back. However, from what Ive seen they have more of a tendency to split down the length of the ribbing, splitting it into 2 belts.

Originally Posted by MAG00
I am replacing the idler pulleys on my '13 Jeep Wrangler and want to go ahead and put a new serpentine belt on. I've read quite a few reviews on different belts and seems Bando, Gates, and Continental all get good reviews. Locally, the Continental and Gates are in stock. Which belt do you like or prefer and why? Note...the Continental is not the Elite (gator back). I seem to remember reading that they were phasing them out.

They are all probably very good, but I like Goodyear Gatorbacks. I've run them on my 08 JK for years, as well as many other cars and they've been outstanding and have lasted a long, long time. I've not run them on a 3.6, though.

Their design would preclude them splitting down the ridges, as they are more like a broken up tread pattern than straight lines. Goodyear claims that's why they are quieter, too.

Last edited:
I've always heard Gatorbacks were very good replacements. I've used them in a few vehicles and they performed well. But I never took one to 100k to truly know. I'll be looking for a new belt for my 17 Subaru 3.6 soon enough. My F150 looks good at nearly 5 years and only 38k so that will be a bit.

Dayco has worked best for me as well as Gatorbacks but they aren't around anymore.. Had nothing but squeely belts with Gates. I won't use them.

Last edited:
I'd avoid Gates unless the country of origin is listed and isn't China. Get the Bando if you don't want to spend the extra money for Mopar. Most likely USA made.

^ They're called something else now. Maybe Conti Elites or something like that? Hopefully someone else can chime in about them.

Ok, just found this below:

Bitog thread

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ad244
Where are you guys getting Gatorbacks? I cant seem to find them?

Continental bought Goodyear's belt business so it's all continental now. Belts seem to be made much better these days, you hardly ever hear of them failing anymore even with well over 100k.

Maybe I've bad luck or the mechanic has bad install. The only Contitech he installed on my car snapped on my way back home from my mechanic. The original and the replacement Gate were both fine. I've gotten one Bando that was significantly thinner than any Gate or Goodyear I've seen, so it really depends I guess.

I think that all the major brands, and the store brands that are really Dayco are all good.

It's the brand that you have never heard of before that I would avoid.

IMO, it is more car makes and model specific.

In a Toyota, I like to use Mitsuboshi.
I put Gates and it squeals.

For the Suburban Diesel, I have used Gates and last one was squealing so I replaced with the HD version (green) and it was no squeal.
Of course, the alternator was on the way out and the green belt was installed with new alternator.

For your car, Jeep, not sure which one is good.
You just have to experiment, hopefully, somebody with your type of car chime in.

Last edited:
Back