Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 - 2006 LS430 5k mile OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am posting a UOA for my Lexus LS430 (3UZFE 4.3L V8) with 200k overall miles, with the last 5,285 miles on Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 and the OEM Toyota filter. I purchased the vehicle at 140k miles and the service history shows somewhat regular oil changes at the dealer with dino oil to that point. The car sees 90%+ of its miles from freeway driving across the SoCal Desert, at a rate of 500 miles per week (primary commuter car). I have been using the Pennzoil Platinum exclusively during my ownership, with one or two changes using Mobil1 EP 5W30.

Do you think i should continue to move forward with the 5k-6k OCI, or attempt to extend?

Thank you.

Jeff

[Linked Image]

according to the baseline that I tested for PP 5W-30, TBN should start out around 7.8.

The company I use recommends replacing when TBN drops by 1/2 or TAN doubles.

If my TBN is under 3.9, I think they start to flag it.

they flagged my last sample "Lower Critical" when boron was depleted too! I was at 78 ppm Boron, & baseline was 224

Wear metals look good though.

Easily 7500 or more...TBN is not linear and can fluctuate during a run for various reasons (did not find the thread where the data is posted).

Wear looks very good.

No fuel and less than 1ppm Fe/1k miles. Amazing. Extend if you want but the TBN as the TBN is borderline for my personal taste.

Amazing engine that's happy with your driving style.

Originally Posted by zeng
It would breeze through 10k Oci with ease.

The report looks great. However with a TBN of 2.6 remaining after 5,285 miles I would not push that oil to 10K miles. That imo is asking for trouble, especially since Blackstone recommends dropping the oil if the TBN reaches 1. 7,000-7,500 miles would be about it, if were mine.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Originally Posted by zeng
It would breeze through 10k Oci with ease.

The report looks great. However with a TBN of 2.6 remaining after 5,285 miles I would not push that oil to 10K miles. That imo is asking for trouble, especially since Blackstone recommends dropping the oil if the TBN reaches 1. 7,000-7,500 miles would be about it, if were mine.

I can see where you're coming from, and your position is valid in itself.

My position is premised on the following factors:
1)
The car sees 90%+ of its miles from freeway driving across the SoCal Desert, at a rate of 500 miles per week (primary commuter car).

2) Yota fuel injection engines are typically very low metal wear rates;and
3) This PP survived well in a much harsher Nissan VQ engine proned to fuel dilution ..

1PP 201702 PennzoilPlatinum 5W30 12032 miles in 2011 Nissan Infiniti M37X 3.7L V6 VQ37VHR ODO 41,268

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back