Chrome Wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I was watching some YouTube last night and a sales person was saying how the chrome wheels on a new Corvette were stopping it from being sold. I thought for a little bit (a difficult task for me, so it takes some time) and its true, seems like Chrome wheels are out of style. Everyone wants black or painted wheels.. When did chrome leave? I still and have always thought chrome wheels look good.. What do you think? Chrome good or bad? In or Out?

Chrome is old skool, rather have chrome than those dirty looking black wheels, robocops.
lol.gif

Black is ok if it's glossy. I don't like satin black, though. My truck has a lot of chrome, though. It is a LS with the chrome grille, bumper ends and wheels. Almost too much chrome.

I prefer glossy black over the gaudy chrome look for the most part. Maybe chromes on a sedan or something. Not a muscle car though.

Bright and shiny, please. This car came with black powder-coated wheels, and I couldn't get rid of them fast enough.

Dark wheels look like old steelies with missing hub caps.

Mustang.jpg

Factory chrome wheels start deteriorating after 4 or 5 years and look like crap after 10. Aftermarket, a lot sooner. Brake dust seems to attack chrome a lot worse than paint. Don't much care for the black wheel trend the last 5-10 years, but at least they never look dirty. Gimme the machine finish and clear coated style wheels.

[Linked Image]

Back in the 70's when everyone had to have those Cragar chrome 5-spoke SS wheels, dudes had to be out waxing & polishing those suckers once a week or they'd start rusting.

I stuck with aluminum.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
The wheels on this car were a $1400 option.

That's cheap!

The F sport wheels on my Lexus were a $2,500 option.
I got mine on clearance for 69 each, brand new from a SoCal Lexus dealer.
Luckily they are backward compatible, so a late model Lexus IS's wheels will fit my early model.

Originally Posted by EchoWars
Back in the 70's when everyone had to have those Cragar chrome 5-spoke SS wheels, dudes had to be out waxing & polishing those suckers once a week or they'd start rusting.

I stuck with aluminum.
smile.gif

That's about the only chrome wheel i like!( on the right car of course)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by spasm3

I stuck with aluminum.
smile.gif

That's about the only chrome wheel i like!( on the right car of course)

I loved 'em too, but they're high-maintenance suckers.

Oh i agree, they would rust if you did not wax them. Nowadays i prefer factory wheels, there are few aftermarket wheels i like. I just don't like chrome on todays cars.

Last edited:
Chrome wheels are old school but they still look nice especially on white cars. I personally like the style of chrome american racing torq thrust wheels because of their classic design.

Originally Posted by carloz
Chrome wheels are old school but they still look nice especially on white cars. I personally like the style of chrome american racing torq thrust wheels because of their classic design.

thumbsup2.gif

IMG_0995.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back