Bad new parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very interesting info...the interwebz has certainly opened up new ways for people to make a buck, whether for the better or not IDK.[/quote]
Seems pretty ingenious to me.

Back in my youth , Fred , Barney and I always used aftermarket parts from the local parts store . No issues .

Only thing I can think of in the last 10 - 20 years is the fuel pump on the 1991 Caprice . I installed the 3rd one a few months ago . With the help of son & grandson . But the var has < than 50,000 honest miles on it . It has been parked a lot , often with E10 in the tank .

One of our Chevy Luminas , alternator went bad , weekend , I think . No one had it , locally . Next Monday , I found one at a local alternator / starter shop . Installed one & it worked fine for a year or two , then went bad . Got another at the local parts store . It worked fine until we got rid of the car .

For all of you that only use OEM parts , remember , they are not perfect either . Otherwise you would not be replacing that OEM part that came on the car . But , you may be correct . It may be better than what I get at the local aftermarket parts stores .

Originally Posted by clinebarger
I did a Timing Chain job on a 3.5L Ecoboost F-150. The Melling timing kit had FOMOCO parts in it. The customer will receive full warranty!
It was a $400 kit....The cheap chinese kits are about $170. Ford makes you buy everything individually.

This is GOOD info to know!

Originally Posted by atikovi
No WorldPac or Parts Authority near you?

World PAC is in Los Angeles, over 100m away.. They deliver next day and charge shipping. Never heard of parts authority.

Originally Posted by Chris142

World PAC is in Los Angeles, over 100m away.. They deliver next day and charge shipping. Never heard of parts authority.

Chris is basically in the middle of nowhere.

Parts Authority bought IMC. I actually stock the coils for that year CX-7, but Chris is too far for us to deliver.

Very interesting info...the interwebz has certainly opened up new ways for people to make a buck, whether for the better or not IDK.

Seems pretty ingenious to me.[/quote]

Unfortunately while it may be an ingenious way to make money but it has had a very negative effect of DIY guys and guys like me who work on a lot of older Euro cars that have a new parts shortage.
A lot of yards use ebay to sell their used parts, a lot of them are down south and out west so for those in salt belt it is a good way to get good clean used otherwise unobtainable parts, here is the problem..

Pick a Part charges for example $10 for a Saab engine mounted coolant to oil cooler, new is over $350 and a rubbish aftermarket is $100 (worthless junk). The vultures that descend on the yard at 7AM grab the $10 cooler and post it on ebay for $65.
Now the yards that used to sell it on ebay for $29 (they had to remove it) jack their price to match the other ebay sellers. A very negative effect driven by a cottage industry.

If this is a customers car, why not get a brand name part? They are paying for it anyway. [censored], even on my own cars I wouldn't use a noname part unless it's a beater.

How do you know it's not made in the same factory?

Originally Posted by Trav
The parts are getting worst by the week so it seems.

This is why I don't believe in changing out parts just because they have x amount of miles on them or the manual says it's time.

Originally Posted by The Critic

Chris is basically in the middle of nowhere.

Thanks! Most uncommon parts are a day and 1/2 away from us. LOL

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
Sure, it's the boss' daughter's car... but would the boss want the car to be fixed properly the first time? Sometimes getting the right part takes time, which may mean waiting a day or 2 for a reputable brand part to come in, ie NGK. If the boss is willing to use no-name parts for the sake of time, that's his problem, and hopefully shouldn't get penalized for it.

Agreed, had a shop replace a front wheel bearing a little over two years ago. It started making noise after one year but I didn't know what it was. Kind of thought it was the tires. He said he uses quality parts and said it was a BCF bearing but acted kind of different when he said it. Like he couldn't remember the name or something.

Finally at the two year mark it was so loud it was time for replacement. Bought an SKF bearing and had an indy mechanic put it in. The new bearing looked real nice so we'll see.

Last edited:
A coil is not that complicated... makes you wonder how is their Q.C. letting this out?

How does a coil leave a factory in a non operating fashion? I can think of a few reasons:

1. you cannot return electronics, so the part was not swapped and returned....

2. they don't check every single coil that leaves the factory...

3. they don't check them at all.

Which is stupid, it is stupid easy to "test" a coil, every single one should be tested, and the factory of the "no name" part may not even have ISO 14001 certs! The OEM does, it is traceable.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL

Sure you can. I returned the Defective coil today.

http://partsauthority.com/locations/california/

Someone from there posted a few pages back and said they wont deliver to us. Too far away.

Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL

Sure you can. I returned the Defective coil today.

Your right, "Some merchandise, including opened gaskets and ELECTRICAL/ELECTRONIC GOODS are non-refundable."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back