Keyless starting problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Earlier this year, I had an odd experience with keyless start. While on vacation in the Czech Republic, I rented a car in Prague, and drove two hours east to a small village of 70 people where my ancestors emigrated from to do some genealogy research. On the way there, a yellow triangle with a ! came on from time to time, but would go away. When I went to leave the village, I approached the car and pushed the key fob to unlock the doors, but nothing happened. Fortunately, I had also left the window down so I reached in and opened the car from the inside. I then pushed the start stop button on the dash and it said "no key fob detected." This went on and so I called Skoda, the manufacturer, and they said the fob battery must be weak but to use the fob to push the start button and eventually it would work.

I tried this with no success for 90 minutes. I was to the point of exasperation as I was stranded in a remote village, in a country where I don't speak the language, two hours from the airport where I was to catch a plane in 14 hours and it was a national holiday so everything was closed. Then I looked over at the passenger seat and there was a second key fob that I had no idea was there before. I picked it up, pushed the start button and the engine cranked up and drove to the airport without further problems, stopping for gas etc.

So now the questions are: Was it possible that the batteries in both key fob's were relatively weak and the second one was just far enough away that the car couldn't sense it? I mean the car wasn't that old that the batteries should be bad. Or was it that by reaching in through the open window, I set off an anti-theft feature that the car was programmed to think the window had been broken and programmed not to start for a period of time? I have had other cars that the car would honk if you opened a locked car through the window, but none that would refuse to start.

That is my experience as well with the CX5. Fortunately the system gave me plenty of advance warning that the batteries needed replacing.

On a rental, any signs or warnings could go unheeded

My batteries only last about 6 months. You get a warning initially, then it goes away. There's a way to start the car with battery in the fob dead though.

Hold the key near where the traditional ignition switch used to be. That works on mY VW's when the fob's get weak.

Most of them have a built in key backup. The fobs pop open and have a key inside and there should be a key hole hidden somewhere, often behind the push button

keyless start like stop-start is a useless + sometimes problematic PIA on many vehicles, just more stuff to malfunction IMO. would not buy anything with stop-start or keyless as well as a CVT, not liking direct injected only engines as well, but hard to get around, you will get bit as higher miles add up, as proper carbon cleaning is about a thou!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by benjy
keyless start like stop-start is a useless + sometimes problematic PIA on many vehicles, just more stuff to malfunction IMO. would not buy anything with stop-start or keyless as well as a CVT, not liking direct injected only engines as well, but hard to get around, you will get bit as higher miles add up, as proper carbon cleaning is about a thou!!

We all can appreciate a good rant about modern vehicles and how complicated they've become. After all, BITOG would not be the same without someone complaining about this few minutes in various threads, but what does it have to do with renting a vehicle?

Originally Posted by KrisZ
Originally Posted by benjy

We all can appreciate a good rant about modern vehicles and how complicated they've become. After all, BITOG would not be the same without someone complaining about this few minutes in various threads, but what does it have to do with renting a vehicle?

Just another useless comment by our resident fly b.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Not sure about VW, but with the newer Ford and Mazda key fobs/remotes we are seeing the batteries dead after a year to a year and a half.

good to know... the Cmax is my first "keyless" vehicle, and my brother's experience with his Volt ( I know, apples and oranges) is he's lucky to get 6-8 mos.
now i just need to figure out how to get the bloody thing open to the point can change the battery.. ( I can get the back off to get to the actual KEY blade, but ventured no further for fear of breaking it..)
one of these:
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by ironman_gq
Most of them have a built in key backup. The fobs pop open and have a key inside and there should be a key hole hidden somewhere, often behind the push button

His '14 Volt has a hidden key switch inside a storage cubby on the top of the center stack.
My Cmax, you're supposed to hold the fob near a divot in the steering column and then push the button.. the only key barrel on the whole car is in the drivers door.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by earlyre
Not sure about VW, but with the newer Ford and Mazda key fobs/remotes we are seeing the batteries dead after a year to a year and a half.

good to know... the Cmax is my first "keyless" vehicle, and my brother's experience with his Volt ( I know, apples and oranges) is he's lucky to get 6-8 mos.
now i just need to figure out how to get the bloody thing open to the point can change the battery.. ( I can get the back off to get to the actual KEY blade, but ventured no further for fear of breaking it..)
one of these:
[Linked Image]

Ooo those are no fun. Let me try to make a video of how to open them up. You take a little pocket screwdriver and put it up at the point end and twist. I'll try to get one for tomorrow.

Our Tiguan 2018 with 40k had the FOB battery for keyless replaces at 1 yr. It showed a key in Orange on dash and did not work well.

The workaround in VW is place key on steering column when really weak.

Last edited:
Our Mazda shows that amber key as well. At a certain point it will display a message on the info screen in the instrument panel to change the battery soon.

The last ditch effort is to hold the fob close to the start button to start or push the button with the fob itself.

[Linked Image]

Ooo those are no fun. Let me try to make a video of how to open them up. You take a little pocket screwdriver and put it up at the point end and twist. I'll try to get one for tomorrow.

Thanks for offering to make a video, but that description actually worked a treat..(I also hit up youtube) but got the battery out, tested @3.05v on my multimeter...so hopefully I SHOULD be good for a while? (I'm Gonna Assume the Dealership changed the batts in the pre-delivery inspection/repair/etc.....my brain says they probably didn't, but i'm gonna assume they did anyway..the did change the oil, air filter, and brakes after all...)

Last edited:

[Linked Image]

Thanks for offering to make a video, but that description actually worked a treat..(I also hit up youtube) but got the battery out, tested @3.05v on my multimeter...so hopefully I SHOULD be good for a while? (I'm Gonna Assume the Dealership changed the batts in the pre-delivery inspection/repair/etc.....my brain says they probably didn't, but i'm gonna assume they did anyway..the did change the oil, air filter, and brakes after all...)

Usually new voltage on a CR2032/CR2025 is about 3.30 volts. At 3.06 I get a low battery warranty message.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back