5.4 3V New motor- 5w30 or 0w40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by panthermike
Hate to say it since I own one, but agree with caprice; they're not as good as the 2V for sure. Seems hit and miss though; my brother has the 3V in his '07 F150 and it has been trouble free for 175K miles, pretty ugly maintenance records to.

OP, what's the status on your truck and new engine install?

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
https://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/F-150/2007/engine/engine_knocking.shtml

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/F-150/2005/engine/

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/F-150/2005/engine/loud_ticking_knocking_noise_from_motor.shtml

This is the quickest place I can find some examples...but they are known in the automotive industry to not be very good at all.

There are about 2 million examples of this engine and the failure rate before 150K miles is below 3%. Did you account for this?

Hate to say it since I own one, but agree with caprice; they're not as good as the 2V for sure. Seems hit and miss though; my brother has the 3V in his '07 F150 and it has been trouble free for 175K miles, pretty ugly maintenance records to.

Think of it like this everyone in Phoenix could have one and there would be enough to give one to everyone in Tucson. There view you and Caprice is representative of a fraction of a percentage getting caught up in the micro view when making an statement as the whole is far from wise.

Originally Posted by dave1251

Think of it like this everyone in Phoenix could have one and there would be enough to give one to everyone in Tucson. There view you and Caprice is representative of a fraction of a percentage getting caught up in the micro view when making an statement as the whole is far from wise.

I wouldn't disagree with you there Dave. I think my feeling is more so not that it's "unreliable" but just has some weak design points as compared to the 2V. Or I guess more complexity is another way to put it. But again, I know there's a ton of these motors and a bunch with high miles. Actually there's a gentleman on YT that claims to have 600K on his '09, original engine/trans.

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter

OP, what's the status on your truck and new engine install?

No updates so far this week. I was told on Saturday that the new motor should arrive by Tuesday at the latest, so I'm hoping they're working on it.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/F-150/2005/engine/loud_ticking_knocking_noise_from_motor.shtml

This is the quickest place I can find some examples...but they are known in the automotive industry to not be very good at all.

There are about 2 million examples of this engine and the failure rate before 150K miles is below 3%. Did you account for this?

I'm accounting for how many I personally know of failing and how many I hear in traffic clacking and the fact that most owners aren't going to report their failures (especially companies that own fleets of then of which most will probably fail eventually in construction type usage).

I'm accounting for the fact that they are known to be one of the most unreliable engines whether you will admit it or not.

I even have a good friend who's always been a Ford lover and loved these trucks, but even he admits they are junk. They are one of the reasons he switched from Ford.

The 4.6 is a good engine with some problems and a low failure rate. The 5.4 is not. And when they fail, nobody wants to work on the [censored] thing (I worked in a few garages and know this as a fact).

I would never own one because I don't have the skills to fix it and all the good mechanics I know from the industry don't want to fix it either and it's very likely to need fixing. Maybe not for the guy that bought it new for a fortune and kept it for 100k, but my budget would only allow me to get a 200k mile truck and hope to get another 100k out of it, so I guess I better stick with a 5.3 or 4.8 gm truck or something even older that can be fixed by anyone.

Last edited:

Wise is to not own one of these unless you got it for a steal. What experience do you have with them that makes you so confident in your opinion of their failure rate?

My son works at a Ford dealership. He was telling me earlier today that a 06 King Ranch (77K miles) with the 5.4 3V engine came in a few days ago with a loud ticking noise. It has a 100K drive train warranty. After getting the OK to work on it the cam phasers, chains, and all that goes with the repair, is being done to this engine.
He said the tech was pulling the plastic tension pieces from the oil pan and throwing them on the ground.
crackmeup2.gif

Wise is to not own one of these unless you got it for a steal. What experience do you have with them that makes you so confident in your opinion of their failure rate?

It is called facts and critical thinking. Again over 2 million engines and you still account for a fraction of percentage failure rate. You only have about 20000+ more examples to get to 1% and even the that is well below the industry average for engine failures.

Here are a couple more examples just using 2005 as a random comparison.

Still your not getting close to the industry average of failure also your example is complaints mostly about engine "noise". Also it's just a model there is nothing about which engine.

OP- I bought my 2004 F150 w/ 5.4 3 valve in 2015 with 123k miles. I don't drive much, so just change the oil yearly.

First change used Motorcraft 5w20- no noise, no issues.

Also used Mobil 1 5w30, no difference I could tell, no issues.

The last couple times it's been Castrol Magnatec 5w30. No difference.

Mine doesn't seem to be picky about the oil or weight (I use a motorcraft filter at each change).

I'm accounting for how many I personally know of failing and how many I hear in traffic clacking and the fact that most owners aren't going to report their failures (especially companies that own fleets of then of which most will probably fail eventually in construction type usage).

I'm accounting for the fact that they are known to be one of the most unreliable engines whether you will admit it or not.

I even have a good friend who's always been a Ford lover and loved these trucks, but even he admits they are junk. They are one of the reasons he switched from Ford.

The 4.6 is a good engine with some problems and a low failure rate. The 5.4 is not. And when they fail, nobody wants to work on the [censored] thing (I worked in a few garages and know this as a fact).

I would never own one because I don't have the skills to fix it and all the good mechanics I know from the industry don't want to fix it either and it's very likely to need fixing. Maybe not for the guy that bought it new for a fortune and kept it for 100k, but my budget would only allow me to get a 200k mile truck and hope to get another 100k out of it, so I guess I better stick with a 5.3 or 4.8 gm truck or something even older that can be fixed by anyone.

I'll work on them....NO problem!! Some of the factory service procedures, Especially the Valve Timing/Timing Chain procedures are completely unnecessary!! If a tech is familiar with a 2V Modular Ford....A 3V is a walk in the park!

The old 2V procedure had you place the crankshaft keyway at 12 O'clock with the left & right camshaft gear timing marks pointed up. This put ALL 8 pistons down in their bores enough that a valve hitting a piston is impossible.

The 3V procedure has you place the keyway 12 O'clock, Remove 6 rocker arms with a special tool, Rotate the engine 'til the keyway is at 6 O'clock, Remove the chains, Remove both camshafts, Rotate the engine to #1 TDC using a special tool to locate TDC & lock the the crank in place.
Install both camshafts in their neural positions with the timing marks pointed up. Torque+Degree both VCT Phasers using a special tool to hold them still.
Now you can install the timing chains & rocker arms.

When in reality....The ONLY special tool you need is the VCT gear holders to torque/angle the bolts, You do the rest JUST like the old 2V engines with the crankshaft keyway at 12 O'clock (Pistons down in their bores).
I've done at least 50 3V engines this way, Why Ford decided to you NEED to find TDC is beyond me!

*Rattling VCT Phasers are a fact of life with the 3V engine, Ford updated the parts & isn't really an issue anymore, They can actually be changed without removing the Timing Cover but I usually recommend a full Timing Set to take advantage of Labor Combinations....I.E....It's cheaper to do everything at once than paying for doubled up labor operations later.
*Tensioner Seals blowing out & Guides coming apart ALSO affects 2V engines, The only reason it affects more 3V engine is because the VCT system has natural oil leakage through the Spool Valves in the Solenoids & the VCT Phasers themselves.Loss of pressure/volume at the tensioner bodies compounds the leakage that already there, Leaky Oil Pump plates don't help either.
*The Chains & Guides are oiled by the Tensioners via a orifice in the Plunger, The Tensioning Guides have a corresponding orifice to oil the Chain & Guide.

I haven't seen many '08 & up 3V 5.4L engines with bad guides or galled camshaft journals, Blown out Tensioner seals & failed Rockers as a result of lost oil volume is still an issue.

The failure rate of '04-'07 5.4L 3V's is PLENTY high enough, I don't know the percentage & would argue that no one actually knows.....I've never seen/heard of anyone report a failure to any entity!

Last edited:
Reactions: GON
That's an excellent post Cline. I would like to ask you: What should the owner of a high mileage (190K) 2007 F-150 5.4 do if the truck is not currently giving any problems?

Should there be any specific preemptive action performed?
Would any particular viscosity (maybe 10w-30?) or type of oil (like HM) help in any way?
Recommended oil change interval?
Should consider selling truck anyway?

Any general advice would be greatly appreciated.

fastznsn, thanks for sharing you're oil weight experiences; I'm still thinking a good 5w30 changed at reasonable intervals is the route i'm taking.

Update on the motor too:

I got some news that I thought wasn't good but turned out to be good.... The OEM long blocks are on 6-8 week backorder, so the warranty company is going with an engine from a supplier "Dahmer Powertrain". I wasn't too thrilled with this as I want a motor with updated quality parts.

I decided to call dahmer and much to my surprise, they use the same supplier as Ford does; AER!! So it's the same engine as the oem but with a catch; it actually has a better warranty. 3yr/100K vs what Ford offers which is 2yr/24K. I'm stoked to say the least.

Here are a couple more examples just using 2005 as a random comparison.

Still your not getting close to the industry average of failure also your example is complaints mostly about engine "noise". Also it's just a model there is nothing about which engine.

The noise is usually what precedes impending failure. Also the gm example also doesn't list which engine. In GM's case most will be a 5.3 or 4.8 (basically the same engine either way) and in Ford's case the majority are probably 5.4.

As I said, very few people actually make a complaint about a failure which is evidenced by the very small amount of complaints for the 2005 Silverado compared to the Ford. This is the type of difference you see when you compare a failure prone vs a non failure prone engine.

It would be the same result if you go and check the rate of engine failures on a 2011 Hyundai sonata vs a 2011 Corolla or Camry. Or rate of transmission failures on a Ford focus vs a Toyota Corolla for example.

Originally Posted by gfh77665
That's an excellent post Cline. I would like to ask you: What should the owner of a high mileage (190K) 2007 F-150 5.4 do if the truck is not currently giving any problems?

Should there be any specific preemptive action performed?
Would any particular viscosity (maybe 10w-30?) or type of oil (like HM) help in any way?
Recommended oil change interval?
Should consider selling truck anyway?

Any general advice would be greatly appreciated.

A good quality 5w30 or 10w30 at @ 5,000 mile intervals is about all you can do besides preemptively replacing the Chains, Guides, Tensioners, VCT Phasers & Oil Pump, Melling for the Oil Pump & Ford OE for everything else.
A lot of VCT Solenoids are replaced for no reason.....I clean them & put them back in service.

I pull the cab off the truck & charge 11.8 hours labor, Book time on the oil pump alone is 14.2 hours.....But using different techniques, Combining labor operations, And the fact I've done so many....I can cut the customer a break & still hit my efficiency target of 120%.

My grandfather had a saying, He was a Mechanic, Shop owner, & Trucking company owner......"You can trim a customer all you want, BUT.....You only skin them once."

What's $2,000-$2,500 compared to a new truck? Or even a used truck in this market? Though the 4R75W won't last forever & would be more inclined to spend money on a newer truck equipped with a 6R80.

Thanks again Cline. I am trying to learn all I can about my 2007 F-150. The truck runs and sounds great -- for the moment. I am aware it is a ticking time bomb. I cannot justify spending $2500 on a $5000 work truck. My local mechanic suggested 10w-30 HM oil, like MaxLife. He tells me "If he was going to guess, I should easily get another 50K out of it". It currently has 190K. He sounded pretty confident, but I think he might be overly optimistic.

Final question: in your experience, is reaching 250K even a possiblity here? Or would you think failure is almost imminent? If so, I am putting it up for sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back