Quaker State Ultimate Durability

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: odie
Seen these on sale at OLLIES for $3.99 a quart . All were SN/GF-4 . They also had 0w-20 and 5w-20 .
Oops , should be SM/GF-4 .

The SHELL and Quaker State SN/GF-5 5w-20 synthetic are quite similar . As for the others little more of a difference .

Pour Point :

SHELL : -49
Quaker: -45

MRV Visc. cP (c) :

SHELL : 9,300 ( -35 )
Quaker: 9,600 ( -35 )

Flashpoint :

Shell : 440.6 ( 227 C )
Quaker: 440

Both P.D.S. were posted same date of JUNE , 2010 .
Here's both for comparison

SHELL full synthetic SN/GF-5 :
http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_X_cbe_24855_key_140003596099_201007081845.pdf

Q.S. Ultimate Durability :
http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_X_cbe_24855_key_140003587110_201007020123.pdf

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JeremyInMT
I'm pretty impressed the the 5w30 MRV numbers!

MRV : Is higher or lower better ? Not familiar with that .
blush.gif

Last edited:
If I remember the synthetic and convential oils had the same specs. I cannot get on website as you get error on url access denied.
crazy.gif
Shell is getting weird .

These are both syns with some similarities , so you'd think this would be the proper P.D.S. for the SHELL SN/GF-5 synthetics . Maybe they're making corrections at their site . Have to wait and see
whistle.gif

Last edited:

blush.gif

Lower is better.

Originally Posted By: modularv8

blush.gif

Lower is better.
Thanks . You go SHELL
grin.gif
. Got some SHELL synthetic 5w-20 (SN) in waiting for upcoming O.C. for colder weather . Was $3.99 a quart @ BJs Wholesale . Now they have it for $3 a quart ( case of 6 ) . Never fails
mad.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by modularv8
Originally Posted by odie
Originally Posted by JeremyInMT

blush.gif

Lower is better.

Could you explain why for us that dont know

Originally Posted by SEMI_287
Either way there is nothing that says hydrotreated, which is group 3. It just says polyolefins which screams all group 4. I knew QSUD was a sleeper but possible grp4?!

Seems highly unlikely at QSUD's price point.

Originally Posted by madeej11
Originally Posted by SEMI_287
Either way there is nothing that says hydrotreated, which is group 3. It just says polyolefins which screams all group 4. I knew QSUD was a sleeper but possible grp4?!

Seems highly unlikely at QSUD's price point.

Polyolefins was Shell's listing for HXVI in the past.

I've only run Ultimate Durability 5w30 in my 2017 Elantra 2.0 for the last two oil changes, but so far I like it. $19/5qt jug at Wally World isn't too bad. And Rural King about a 1/4 mile from there has the Fram Ultra filters for $7.99, I believe, which is about $3 cheaper than Walmart is now.

L8R,
Matt

Originally Posted by AnthemBassMan
I've only run Ultimate Durability 5w30 in my 2017 Elantra 2.0 for the last two oil changes, but so far I like it. $19/5qt jug at Wally World isn't too bad. And Rural King about a 1/4 mile from there has the Fram Ultra filters for $7.99, I believe, which is about $3 cheaper than Walmart is now.

L8R,
Matt

*Correct ... The Elantra Fram Ultra is $11.00 at WM now .

In my 2018 F150 w 5.0L I have tried Motorcraft 5w20 blend, Motorcraft 5w30 synthetic, T6 5w40, and so far QSUD 10w30 has been the quietest oil I have used so far. For just under 18 bucks a jug I think I have found a winner.
Not that this provides any scientific information at all, but for those who has the new 5.0 the QSUD is a really good choice.

Originally Posted by tblt44
Originally Posted by modularv8
Originally Posted by odie
Originally Posted by JeremyInMT

blush.gif

Lower is better.

Could you explain why for us that dont know

MRV is a viscosity test related to pumpability for oil, and for a given grade (which determines the temperature at which the MRV and CCS tests are performed) a lower viscosity means that the oil can be pumped more easily at whatever cold temp at which it is measured.
For a 5WXX, MRV is tested at -35C and CCS is at -30C...for a 0WXX, the MRV temp is -40C and the CCS temp is -35C.

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
In my 2018 F150 w 5.0L I have tried Motorcraft 5w20 blend, Motorcraft 5w30 synthetic, T6 5w40, and so far QSUD 10w30 has been the quietest oil I have used so far. For just under 18 bucks a jug I think I have found a winner.
Not that this provides any scientific information at all, but for those who has the new 5.0 the QSUD is a really good choice.

I keep hearing 2017-18 5.0's have a problem with oil consumption................do you have an issue with yours ??

And your correct with the QSUD, it's a great oil ðŸ‘

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back