antifreeze in the oil - 7.3 powerstroke F250

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just recently had the injectors rebuilt on a 7.3 powerstroke diesel engine F250SD. with it all back together I noticed when I checked the oil level it was slightly above the max level, so it loosened the drain plug to drain off a quart or so. Much to my surprise it initially drained about half a cup of what appeared to be clear water before draining any oil. At the same time I had recently noticed a small coolant leak around the thermostat housing, which is known to be a problem on this motor (replaced the housing with the billet aluminum version which fixed the leak) and there are no subsequent signs of coolant loss. I am guessing that somehow this coolant leak somehow managed to get into the oil sump/pan. If in fact the water in the oil was from the coolant leak, it appeared to be clear water, making me believe an equal amount (half a cup) of antifreeze was absorbed by the oil. If I hadn't just done a $90 oil/filter change with 16 quarts of full synth oil I would just go ahead and change it Now my question is, 1) would a UOA identify if there was antifreeze in the oil? and 2) should I be concerned about about a small quantity of antifreeze (say half a cup) in 16 quarts of oil, knowing that antifreeze is not a lubricant?.

What is the engine worth to you? If I had that much water in the oil, I would change it.

It is also possible that a head gasket is leaking, although I don't know how robust the HG is on the 7.3 powerstroke engine.

UOA would pick up the antifreeze in the oil.

Originally Posted by mrpriceisright
and 2) should I be concerned about about a small quantity of antifreeze (say half a cup) in 16 quarts of oil, knowing that antifreeze is not a lubricant?.

That is not a small quantity of antifreeze. Any free water is a large quantity, most of what shows up on an analysis isn't even visible in the sample. If they are using Karl Fischer titration to determine the quantity that is so much it would overwhelm the analysis. No method is suitable for free water.

The oil you drained from the sump would have had emulsified water, it should have drained milky and opaque.

Make sure it's not fuel.

Common anti freeze in oil leaks are from a porous front cover (behind water pump), oil cooler/orings (less likely due to the oil pressure being more than cooling system pressure), or a cracked block.

Did you replace the cups?

Yes, I am going to do the UOA and also change it. Its a rugged engine, but still a huge job to rebuild. I think the Head gasket is ok, no other signs of cross contaminants since the thermostat housing replaced.

How many miles? Have you added SCA regularly? If not, these engines will eventually develop pinhole leaks in the cylinder bores due to cavitation.
shocked2.gif

Last edited:
It was a surprise when the presumed water drained out. I was loosening the drain plug carefully when this thin watery liquid ran down the threads, it pretty much stopped when it got to the regular oil. I was expecting it to be emulsified but it appeared to be clear in the drain pan. No fuel/diesel smell either so I assumed water. It wasnt recognizable as coolant either, which made me guess the antifreeze was absorbed by the oil.

Originally Posted by mattd
Make sure it's not fuel.

Common anti freeze in oil leaks are from a porous front cover (behind water pump), oil cooler/orings (less likely due to the oil pressure being more than cooling system pressure), or a cracked block.

Did you replace the cups?

I was also thinking it might have somehow leaked through the front cover (from reading somewhere this was possible). I didnt replace the cups but didnt see any signs of coolant seepage in them. . I siphoned the oil out of the HPOP res to reduce the amount of injector rail oil that drains into the cylinders. I did wonder later whether it happened when the injectors were out or was due to the housing leak It appears no further coolant loss since housing/gasket replaced so I'm thinking the front cover. Oil on the dipstick looks normal. I will be checking during the oil change for any further signs of it coming out first. Oh and that was the other reason I thought it was water, it was in the very bottom of the sump (sunk below oil), so I figured if it was fuel it would have floated above the oil?

Cups or oil cooler o-rings. This is fairly common on the 7.3....just keep an eye on it. Check your coolant for oil contamination as well. It will be floating. I'd do cooler o-rings for peace of mind either way. You might wanna put this on the FTE forum and get some help over there. Lots of good 7,3 gurus. To bad we just moved from Oceanside or I could lend a hand.

Originally Posted by bbslider001
Cups or oil cooler o-rings. This is fairly common on the 7.3....just keep an eye on it. Check your coolant for oil contamination as well. It will be floating. I'd do cooler o-rings for peace of mind either way. You might wanna put this on the FTE forum and get some help over there. Lots of good 7,3 gurus. To bad we just moved from Oceanside or I could lend a hand.

Yes, although not as common the past few years, the oil cooler o-rings and adapter gaskets were very common on the 7.3L. So common that I wouldn't have to look them up, just go to the bin and pull them all.

Originally Posted by mrpriceisright
Just recently had the injectors rebuilt on a 7.3 powerstroke diesel engine F250SD. with it all back together I noticed when I checked the oil level it was slightly above the max level, so it loosened the drain plug to drain off a quart or so. Much to my surprise it initially drained about half a cup of what appeared to be clear water before draining any oil. At the same time I had recently noticed a small coolant leak around the thermostat housing, which is known to be a problem on this motor (replaced the housing with the billet aluminum version which fixed the leak) and there are no subsequent signs of coolant loss. I am guessing that somehow this coolant leak somehow managed to get into the oil sump/pan. If in fact the water in the oil was from the coolant leak, it appeared to be clear water, making me believe an equal amount (half a cup) of antifreeze was absorbed by the oil. If I hadn't just done a $90 oil/filter change with 16 quarts of full synth oil I would just go ahead and change it Now my question is, 1) would a UOA identify if there was antifreeze in the oil? and 2) should I be concerned about about a small quantity of antifreeze (say half a cup) in 16 quarts of oil, knowing that antifreeze is not a lubricant?.

I owned a 2002 7.3 F350 for many years, very reliable motors with usually no major issues. The only oil related issue I had with my 7.3 was O-Rings in the Turbo Pedestal Leaking and the Fuel Drain Valve O-Ring ;leaking, both inexpensive and easy to repair.

The manual calls for 15 quarts oil in the 7.3 to the full mark. Yes, an UOA would identify most foreign fluids or other issues in the oil which should help with the figuring out the fix. Hope everything works out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back