Castrol Magnatec - Clinging Molecules Questions ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I was talking to a track driver about Castrol Magnatec :

1 ) Do the clinging molecules cling better to certain metals than others inside an engine ? Example : If an engine has different types of metal (including aluminum) would Magnatec respond differently ?

2 ) Has Castrol measured the amount of Magnatech that remains in an engine top end (where it is most needed) versus the lower engine unit ?

3 ) If Magnatec does cling to metal - could that allow sludge to get a foot hold with a longer OCI ?

* What are your thoughts on the above ?

Castrol seems to like putting pictures on bottles and influencing buyers with marketing more than some others. If oil clings more it should also cause more friction? It may cling more in some insignificant way and they are promoting it. Then there is the higher Edge, does it cling more too?

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
Castrol seems to like putting pictures on bottles and influencing buyers with marketing more than some others.

Some people's minds are completely warped by marketing. Take for example Rotella Gas Truck oil, most common question I've seen is something along the lines of, "can I use this is something other than a truck?" Or how about Castrol's previous slogan for GTX oil, "engineered for today's smaller cars" and some people were probably asking themselves if that means they can't use it in a bigger car?

Ed Bernays would be proud of how far marketing has come over the past century.

Ha ! BP marketing to the extreme. A Magic oil formuation, at a mid price point that no one else has.

C'mon these are basics we know.

Polar EP/ AW additives attach to metal and target particulates

I think they exist in every oil formulation.

Many Group III oils & PAO are very non-polar. and non "clinging"

DI-ester and POE are polar and "clingy"

The influence of base oil polarity and slide-roll ratio on additive-derived reaction layer formation**

Functional additives, particularly extreme-pressure and antiwear additives, in formulated oil will compete to adsorb and form a protective layer in tribological contacts. The thickness of the layer is determined by the equilibrium between the formation and removal processes. In this article, the interactions between additives and base oil molecules and operating conditions influence friction and wear are studied. One polar (ester oil) and one non-polar (poly-α-olefin) commercial base oil blended with zinc dialkyl dithiophosphates were studied. The tribological performance was evaluated ...

** fFrom a JoET paper by: Grahn Suarez Tomala & Zaccheddu

Always consider the state of oil, in an engine most of the time it is at 212f, so it aint clinging to nothing perhaps with the exception of esters and only slightly more. Try putting some magnatec in a fry pan and heat it to 212, watch for your self. Additives will cling, but zddp anyhow is a weak bond as well. Then you get your ep additives your moly's and titanium's, this will plate thanks to the sulfur bond but they will only plate where there is 3 conditions, time, heat and pressure. So yes, it is very likely some part of magnetic will plate where you need it most, were EP exists, but so will other oils that use extreme pressure additives, and no not every oil uses them, but most do.

I never even considered the marketing claims when I used Magnetic...I usually don't pay attention to any claims from oil companies. I used it because it was on sale, and I must say that I did "like" the Magnetic...engine seemed quieter, less oil loss for some reason. So all in all I "liked" it. But I never once believed any clinging technology was in play.

Magnetec...now with 200% more molecules!!!

Marketing gimmick, pure and simple. As to your questions:

1. Yes, it clings to adamantium and unobtainium better than kryptonite.
2. Yes, they've measured a .0002 increase in moles in the top end.
3. Yes. But not as sludgy as 80's Pennzoil.

All I can say is it seems to be the most misspelled/autocorrected oil out there.
crazy.gif

I believe in 1989 a player of the Cleveland Indians named Pedro Cerrano had JoBu put a spell on this oil. Since then, the surface tension on Castrol Magnatec is more "clingy" than other brand oils. The answer is simple folks, its magic, no science, just plane ole magic, period.

For grins - I just checked WM and they now list Magnatec 5W30 for $21.44 ea. 5 qrt. jug while EDGE 5W30 is $22.48 ea. for 5 qrt. jug ... *Would you pay $1.04 more for EDGE , or stay with Magnatec ?
Back when Magnatec recently was $18 per 5 qrt. jug (WM) I would have more readily bought it .

Originally Posted by double vanos
Or you can use Magnatec for same reasons as me: excellent UOAs here on bitog.

I second this. The smoothest oil I've tried in my Kia. Switching back to it after current fill

Years ago, I was at a dinner, and sitting next to one of the Castrol chemists who was involved in the early testing of the magnatec.

He stated categorically tht it works.
Their test protocol on the test engines was
* baseline (Mobil 1 actually).
* flushing oil.
* test oil (magnatec)
* flushing oil
* baseline oil.

The magnatec made a measurable difference...then the "clinging" aspect allowed it to make a measurable difference in both the subsequent and baseline tests...they lost their (up to that point) repeatable bookend.

Valvoline amongst others make the claim on various of their additives as well.

Startup wear using Magnatec is reduced to the point Castrol can claim it and not be slapped with lawsuits it's a fine oil and IMO the best PCMO in Castrol's portfolio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back