New 2019 Jeep Rubicon

Status
Not open for further replies.
After "wrangling" (no pun intended) with the notion for a few months now, I pulled the trigger on a 2019 Rubicon last night—aptly nicknamed "The Grinch" and kicked my AMG to the curb in the process. I also argued with myself for an equal amount of time over the powertrain (2.0T vs. 3.6L) and in the end, I chose the 3.6L (availability of options also played a role in this). The choice between the two engines essentially came down to:

1. 48v battery pack to electronically spool the 2.0 turbo--currently $1000 to $1400 to replace when (not if) replacement is needed and there have already been reports of replacements.
2. 2.0T is a direct injection engine versus multi-port injection on the V6
3. Potential long-term maintenance and costs on a turbo-charged engine and additional complexity of 2.0T cooling system

Options include:

Mojito! Clear-Coat Exterior Paint
Black Interior Color
Leather-Trimmed Bucket Seats
Body-Color Fender Flares
All-Weather Floor Mats

3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine w/ESSCold Weather Group
8-Speed Automatic Transmission
Dana 44 locking front/rear axles with 4.10 gear ratio
LT285/70R17C BSW Mud-Terrain Tires
17-Inch x 7.5-Inch Black Wheels

LED Lighting Group
Customer Preferred Package 24R
Black Freedom Top® 3-Piece Hard Top
Jeep® Active Safety Group
Steel Bumper Group
Trailer Tow Group w/ HD Electrical and 4 Aux Switches
8.4-Inch Radio and Alpine Premium Audio Group
Jeep Trail Rated Kit
Adaptive Cruise Control/Forward Collision Warning+
Hard Top Headliner
Remote Proximity Keyless Entry

Here are a few dealer photos:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Was never a fan of the JK but I really like the new JL. I would love a base model 2 door with a manual and air conditioning.

I wanted to like the 2.0T but there's a lot of stuff that would be disastrous. There's heater and AC lines going to the battery pack. Which sits real low. And a plastic aux water pump that hangs off the side of the block.

I can see *all* of this causing a problem with the way I use a Jeep. Bummer, too, because I really like the idea of a hybrid on the trails.

Congrats on the purchase. I've not seen that color, I like it!

If you're doing mostly highway driving, it looks like the fuel economy difference between the two engines isn't very much, 23 vs. 24. City has a decent spread of 18 vs. 22.

You dog!! What an awesome machine, love the color too. Good choice on the 3.6, they're great motors.

On a side note; that backup camera quality is very good!

Originally Posted by Miller88
I wanted to like the 2.0T but there's a lot of stuff that would be disastrous. There's heater and AC lines going to the battery pack. Which sits real low. And a plastic aux water pump that hangs off the side of the block. I can see *all* of this causing a problem with the way I use a Jeep. Bummer, too, because I really like the idea of a hybrid on the trails.
I think Jeep plans to make some changes on the 2020 model, but I believe on the 2019 and previous 2.0T models there is a cooling line that runs to the back of the vehicle as well that is associated with the turbocharger and/or espool system. If you recall, I rented a 2019 Sahara and put over 3K miles on it and the engine itself is solid, but the supporting systems leave me wondering how long before it breaks down at the worst place.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Very cool! Congrats!

What was it about the AMG that made you "kick it to the curb"?
Thank you! In a nutshell, I do not see any of the modern MB cars being "in it" for the long haul. I was seriously PO'ed at having to buy a $1400 set of tires on my wife's C300 at 13,000 miles, then I had to do a brake job on the AMG at 26,000 miles, the alignment nearly destroyed the drive front tire ($450+) on the AMG, and when coupled with the overall maintenance (which I do not mind doing) + the overall cost of anything breaking after the warranty, it was just time to get out of it. I sold my Powerstroke for nearly the same reasons (maintenance and overall issues with modern diesels), but missed the 4x4 because I try to spend as much time as I can in nature with my 3 sons. I could not find any other 4x4 SUV-type that was as tough or versatile and with the 2019 year-end close out price, the stars simply aligned.

PS...on a positive note, Mercedes will refund me 100% of my extended warranty since I never used it.

Originally Posted by RamFan
Congrats on the purchase. I've not seen that color, I like it! If you're doing mostly highway driving, it looks like the fuel economy difference between the two engines isn't very much, 23 vs. 24. City has a decent spread of 18 vs. 22.
Thank you! I managed 20MPG from the dealership last night and I would expect it to improve slightly, though 4.10 gears (even with the 8 speed) may limit my overall economy--with that said, I typically achieved 23ish in the AMG but with premium fuel. The 3.6L Pentastar runs on 87, so I may not see a difference in my pocketbook despite the slightly lower MPG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back