Cellphone plans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had this conversation with Verizon and was set up on their unlimited plan for much cheaper than my 12G limited plan

Originally Posted by bubbatime
If you are age 55+, the big three or four offer reduced price cell phone plans. I know t mobile has unlimited everything for 2 phones for $70/month.

Boost Mobile uses Sprint towers and will give you unlimited everything for drastically less than your paying. The catch is that they throttle/slow down your internet after you use a certain amount of data, but you can use as much internet as you want every month.

If you use Comcast Xfinity internet, their Xfinity mobil plan uses Verizon towers and gets rave reviews. I think their unlimited plan is $45/month.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
The catch is that they throttle/slow down your internet after you use a certain amount of data, but you can use as much internet as you want every month.
The "unlimited" data they are advertising is misleading, ALL of the cell phone carriers can/will throttle your LTE data speed after you hit a certain data amount. I know that it is 22gb on AT&T and Verizon, and 50gb on T-Mobile. They don't throttle all of the time, only during periods of network congestion, but they can lower your speed to 128kbs, I have seen them do this myself. The only way that they can get away with advertising "unlimited" data is because they don't cut you off completely.
Even wired home Internet ISPs do this, Spectrum throttles the speed until the end of your billing cycle after you hit 1tb, ask me how I know.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wag123
...but they can lower your speed to 128kbs, I have seen them do this myself.
With our family plan, we've exceeded our regular data allowance a few times and we do not have the option to bump us up automatically. What is amazing is how slow 128kbs is nowadays. Just refreshing my email was noticeably slow. Web browsing was almost not an option.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
Originally Posted by atikovi
How did people survive in the old days?

Cannibalism

crackmeup2.gif

FWIW I had Verizon with 2 lines, 5 gigs data, unlimited talk and text for about $95. Thought it was a bad deal, but the wife handled the cell phone accounts exclusively. I had to move up to unlimited because of loss of my ISP at my alternate home, and i needed my phone as a hotspot.
Tried to talk wife out of Verizon. Might as well have tried to talk her into letting me sacrifice my firstborn to a pagan god.
Found they had a family plan for 4@ $40 per line, unlimited data, less $10 a line military discount. It works out to about $32 a line with taxes and fees. I pay $10 more for better hotspot speeds, and that upgrade also gives me Apple music included.
For the extra lines added 2 adult offspring. Best deal they could find considering the network coverage.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
How much data do you use normally per month ?
After cutting my cable, I quickly found out how much data HD video streaming can consume.

I love my cricket family plan. 4 lines of unlimited everything for $100 all in. Like said above, cricket uses AT&T towers and they can throttle your speed after 22gb has been hit.

At $100/month/phone you must have the top tier unlimited plan with insurance on phones possibly or paying for a plan per each phone. Watch out for those pesky uneducated salesman at Sprint stores who will rip you for most commission on a sale.

Maybe lower the level of unlimited and drop the insurance to keep Sprint: https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/plan...n.html?INTNAV=TopNav:Shop:UnlimitedPlans

There are cheaper alternatives with pro's (price) and cons (lessor customer service if issue arises.

The basic Sprint Unlimited plan is $100 + tax for two lines.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Gf and I have been with Sprint for maybe 15 or so years. We're currently paying around $200 a month for two phones and unlimited everything. We've been with them so long that we get free phone upgrades when the times come. We're wanting to drastically save money.

What are the best options out there? We need unlimited data,texting,etc. Do all these "cheap" plans like through Walmart,etc,restrict your data,texting,etc,and do you have to outright putchse a phone? What about signal coverage with these types of plans?

We left Sprint about 10 years ago.

Since then we had Straight Talk for a few years on ATT network, worked perfect never an issue, then at a much better price we had Cricket for a few years with 3 lines unlimited everything, worked perfect.

NOW I TOOK IT ONE STEP FURTHER!

REDPOCKET rules.

We chose Redpocket on the ATT network, unlimited everything, 3 lines = $70.30 IS THE ACTUAL PAYMENT, NO B.S. FEE'S
You do need to have half a brain to sign up with redpocket, not for the technically challenged, works like any other cell phone service and of course, without question, the ATT network is the best, my work phone is Verizon Iphone and I much enjoy Redpocket ATT on my personal Huawei phone.

People for some reason are concerned (and I do understand but now that I have not been directly with a major carrier for almost a decade I can preach) about having name brands such as Verizon, ATT, Sprint, T-mobile vs aftermarket providers. The part that kills me is people have been so "trained" like dogs to think those 4 companies who contract you into service are different then the after market companies and they are not.
Its all the same network!

But here is the real catch, why even be concerned that you maybe disappointed in an aftermarket company???????
That makes NO SENSE at all!!!!!
There is NO CONTRACT, if you dont like the aftermarket company simply cancel your service, then run like a dog back to the "big name" company and sign up all over again with them. :eek:)

I use the name dog because the big name companies have people trained like dogs to sign expensive contracts for phone service and get "free phones' that they can not afford to buy. They PAY through the nose for this.

So the OP PAYS $2,400 a year for phone service, after tax income no less so they need to make over $3000 a year to pay for their cell service for TWO lines.

WE PAY $843.60 a year for cell phone service on THREE lines, unlimited everything and our service is much better ATT service, plus no contracts and no "free" phones ha ha

Go figure ... hope this helps!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Gf and I have been with Sprint for maybe 15 or so years. We're currently paying around $200 a month for two phones and unlimited everything. We've been with them so long that we get free phone upgrades when the times come. We're wanting to drastically save money.

What are the best options out there? We need unlimited data,texting,etc. Do all these "cheap" plans like through Walmart,etc,restrict your data,texting,etc,and do you have to outright putchse a phone? What about signal coverage with these types of plans?

We left Sprint about 10 years ago.

Since then we had Straight Talk for a few years on ATT network, worked perfect never an issue, then at a much better price we had Cricket for a few years with 3 lines unlimited everything, worked perfect.

REDPOCKET rules.

We chose Redpocket on the ATT network, unlimited everything, 3 lines = $70.30 IS THE ACTUAL PAYMENT, NO B.S. FEE'S
You do need to have half a brain to sign up with redpocket, not for the technically challenged, works like any other cell phone service and of course, without question, the ATT network is the best, my work phone is Verizon Iphone and I much enjoy Redpocket ATT on my personal Huawei phone.

i too was on ST for a while and discovered red pocket. got a sim off of ebay last nov for $24 a month for 10gb of data. So far have not had any issues with it. do speed test occasionally and it does not seem to be capped. i have gotten 80 in certain areas.

i might change over to T mobile next as i can ride a relatives unlimited plan for $20 a month. in the pat i have tried it and was disaaponted, but it seems its improved quite a bit.

Originally Posted by atikovi
How did people survive in the old days?

Carrier pigeon?
grin2.gif

if you're happy with sprint coverage, you can take your sprint phones and put them on virgin mobile. i am on virgin mobile uses sprint network i am paying around $35 for my one line unlimited text/talk 5gb data beauty is no overages. i am not a big data user so i am yet to go over and be throttled. catch is no family plans would have to be two individual lines. i am still on the iphone 4s 3G data speeds and everything works fine, calls-texts-imessage and the little bit of internet i do use.

Last edited:
Tried Mint Mobile and it was garbage. Had zero coverage inside my home. I've had Cricket, Verizon, and Sprint and all three had excellent coverage. Had Mint Mobile for less than an hour and cancelled. I still haven't gotten my refund even though it's been over ten business days. Avoid them like the plague!

...we had Cricket for a few years with 3 lines unlimited everything, worked perfect.

REDPOCKET rules.

SAY IT AIN'T SO!!

No more cricket? Was it a money savings thing for you?

Originally Posted by JTK
...we had Cricket for a few years with 3 lines unlimited everything, worked perfect.

REDPOCKET rules.

SAY IT AIN'T SO!!

No more cricket? Was it a money savings thing for you?

Yes, its true!!!!!!!! Though, without question, if your technically challenged Cricket is a best choice run by ATT. No question about it, rock solid, great network~~!

As far as your question - "Was it a money savings thing for you?"

Im not sure how to answer, a money savings thing?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?
Ummm ...how about like anything you buy in life that I say (and everyone else) why would I pay 40 to 70% more for for the same product?
Everything I buy in life I get the best price, doesnt matter if its insurance, phone or anything. I think very few people go out to buy the same product at the most expensive price.

So with Redpocket, once again, I am getting ATT cell phone service which is my all time favorite network bar none, faster data speeds then Cricket (doesnt really matter on a cell phone though), same exact 5GB high speed data on each line per month, unlimited lower speed if you run out (NEVER HAPPENS), of course unlimited text and talk too.

TOTAL, ACTUAL PAYMENT for THREE LINES is $70.30 !!!

So back to money saving thing, Exxon and Mobile are the same gas, on one side of the street is a Mobile gas station, the other an Exxon. Mobile is $3.00 a gallon and Exxon is $2.00 a gallon. Which gas station would you choose to fill up your vehicle every time you get gas??? (dont answer!)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back