Driveway widening help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello fellow members,
I have a stamped concrete driveway that I want to widen at a certain area by approx 5 feet wide x 6 feet long. This area currently is covered in mulch and beside the house. This area is around the side of my house so I would like to do the work myself to avoid the wrath of the HOA (calling in a pro will attract too much attention and I got a rough quote anyways and it was $1000+ ballpark).
What are my options as a DIY beginner, without renting any heavy equipment?

Thank you

I am trying to do the work without dealing with the HOA at all. Since it is facing away from the front street and it is a relatively small patch, I think less HOA involvement is preferred.

Originally Posted by FirstNissan
I am trying to do the work without dealing with the HOA at all. Since it is facing away from the front street and it is a relatively small patch, I think less HOA involvement is preferred.

I'm pretty sure the HOA isn't going to take nicely to this...

Is this for parking something?

A simple DIY way to do it would be to install driveway pavers. You would still dig down below grade and add crushed rock as a base to ensure the pavers will be level with the concrete. This would save a concrete truck coming on site or renting a mixer.

Yes, this would be for parking my car off to the side. Would pavers be strong enough to hold the weight of a sedan?

If the dirt/soil is compacted correctly.....Paver stones or even brick would work well. Let's keep in mind that streets were once paved with red bricks.

Why not make it attractive and practical. A finishing layer of coarse crushed black or white rock (over a deep and well packed gravel base) might make an attractive design feature. Easier to do and might not require any approvals from anyone, though you'd have to study that one a little.

You could park on it, though it might need a little re-levelling from time to time if you don't pack it hard enough. On the other hand it would be easy enough to re-level.

Another idea is the special pavers with heavy voids. Grass grows in the voids and the area doesn't look much different from regular lawn. That might be an easy sell to the HOA. I've never used them but they look good in pictures.

If you do decide to do it yourself, dig out the soil for quite a depth (get recommendations for your area, but something in the range of 8") and then pack in multiple layers of gravel using a packer before finishing up with sand and pavers (or just crushed rock). Pavers will settle if you don't have the base packed well enough, and you'll have to pull them out, pack in more gravel and/or sand and lay them again. It can be done but it's a lot of work. Ask me how I know.

Some people wash a cement mix between the cracks in pavers. I don't like that idea. I assume I'll have to redo them eventually and don't want any trouble getting them apart or chipping off bits of concrete. I just sweep in sharp sand. Works fine.

If you decide to work with pavers wrap your fingers with duck tape. Gloves wear out in nothing flat, and bare skin doesn't hold up very well.

If you have any settlement with crushed rock you can just add more crush to the surface.

I am trying to do the work without dealing with the HOA at all.

Bad, bad idea. HOA's have the power of God these days. And they can make your life a living he!! if you do anything to your property without their approval. Call them and tell them what you want to do. You have to work within their parameters. I had my driveway widened, and my block wall extended, and a R.V. gate installed in the house we just sold. It wasn't that big of a deal to get HOA approval. Also make sure you get the necessary permits from the city or municipality you live in, and follow their guidelines. If you don't you could run into issues when you sell. In the end you will be happy you did.

Yes, this would be for parking my car off to the side. Would pavers be strong enough to hold the weight of a sedan?

The expensive houses in my new development all have paver driveways. Answer is yes if done correctly. Will you be doing the work at night?

That depends on what type of base they're laid over. If they are laid over compacted sand or soil, they will settle quickly, resulting in an uneven surface. In many high dollar homes out here pavers are laid over a blacktop, or even a concrete base. Naturally, this is much more expensive, but you will end up with a driveway that will not settle. Even if you park a large, heavy boat or motor coach on it...... Which many do.

Here they're using some sort of aggregate 3-4 inches thick that they compact. It has from 1/2" down to fines. No evidence of settling or grooving in homes that have been here 3-4 years. Might need something different in MO.

OT, Bill - you moved?

Originally Posted by billt460

That depends on what type of base they're laid over. If they are laid over compacted sand or soil, they will settle quickly, resulting in an uneven surface. In many high dollar homes out here pavers are laid over a blacktop, or even a concrete base. Naturally, this is much more expensive, but you will end up with a driveway that will not settle. Even if you park a large, heavy boat or motor coach on it...... Which many do.

This might be the way they do it in drier climates but in wetter ones I would wonder about the drainage.

The idea of going with crushed rock is also a good one and cheaper as well.

Originally Posted by PimTac
This might be the way they do it in drier climates but in wetter ones I would wonder about the drainage.

They drain the same way a concrete or blacktop driveway would drain. They have to be pitched the proper way. Away from the house or garage. That is established when they pour or lay the base. All the pavers do is add thickness and looks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back