New ECHO SRM-2620T Oil Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a new ECHO SRM-2620T yesterday. The dealer said the only two oils that wont ruine the engine are ECHO and Stihl 2 Cycle Oil. I have been using Lucas Syn Blend for years. I did a search on that oil and found the Amsoil Study where it had so much build up in an ECHO trimmer only about 40% of the air could still get through. Now I'm wondering if that's why my 4.5 year old Toro trimmer seemed to loose all its power. What should I do with the fuel/oil mix I already have in the fuel can? Any Lawn Pros here that use these new Echo models like the 2620 or 3020?

Well, I used to be an Echo dealer, and although it was a lot of years ago, I didn't use Echo oil in them. Maybe the engines are different now, I can't really say, but at that time, I never had a single engine related warranty. And right now I have a new this year Stihl blower that I am using Super tech synthetic oil in.

I have an Echo SRM225 trimmer that I have used Supertech Synthetic two cycle oil in for the last 3 years without issue. The only thing that normally gets "buildup" on modern two cycles is the spark arrest screen on the exhaust outlet. I have personally never had that issue in the last 40 years, but many others report it.

I guess it's mostly the Exhaust port that's an issue. The ECHO oil the dealer recomended seems worse than the Lucas oil I already have.

ATP.jpg

Screenshot_20190813-143400_Drive.jpg

You have me upside down. I picked up a SRM2620 (not T) last week. I have used Royal Purple just because it was synthetic and easy to get on Amazon and price was good. Used it for years in an SRM2400 that was nearly 19 years old IIRC. I was planning on the same Royal Purple mix. Interested in the answers here.

Originally Posted by BISCUT
You have me upside down. I picked up a SRM2620 (not T) last week. I have used Royal Purple just because it was synthetic and easy to get on Amazon and price was good. Used it for years in an SRM2400 that was nearly 19 years old IIRC. I was planning on the same Royal Purple mix. Interested in the answers here.

I try to ask good questions. I am truly thinking of just ordering Amsoil. 31.50 for 12 bottles of saber and it obviously performed well in ECHO trimmers.

lately, I've been using my leftover M1, MX2t and Castrol TT-S in all my 2 stroke stuff. I've never had any issues with exhaust port clogging or scored pistons. Ever.

Frankly, I don't believe Amsoil's test AT ALL. Amsoil's small print claims the test was a single test run. What weed whacker engine performs a single test run at full throttle for hours on end. I guarantee they intentionally overheated the engines to achieve those results.

Any FD or EG-D oil, mixed at 32 to 1 will protect the engine perfectly, while preventing wear and carbon.

Recently worked on my heavily used 20 year old Husqvarna 345 chainsaw due to a no-start issue that turned out to be a faulty sparkplug. No carbon on the piston crown, clear exhaust port and no piston scoring. How do my results differ so markedly from Amsoil's tests?

Last edited:
I use the ECHO PowerBlend for all my 50:1 stuff. Doesn't smell too bad, doesn't smoke too bad. I'm pretty sure everyone will say that about their brand, though.

Also note the Amsoil was run at 100:1. Less oil to make soot. I run Echo in mine for years with no issue. I'm not looking in my exhaust port but it still has plenty of power to switch that .095 double string with no problems. I often edge and trim at half throttle to prevent the string from getting ground away too fast.
smile.gif

Last edited:
I use VP 2 cycle oil from Walmart in my 12 year old husqvarana 223L..its JASO FD . I run at 40:1..spark plug is clean and runs nearly as new.

They've been putting catalytic converters on a lot of the small 2-stroke OPE in the last 5 years or so, see if you have a catalytic muffler. They're prone to clogging up and running very hot. As long as you have an adjustable carb you can gut the cat and retune the carb, it'll be louder but you will have more power.

You definitely have an catalytic muffler, they tend to be a little more sensitive to the oil you use and the ratio. Too much oil or a dirty burning oil will clog them up faster than normal.

Both Echo and Stihl synthetic 2-stroke oils are excellent. During my training in Stihl tech classes, they did an interesting breakdown of long term use of different 2-stroke oils. Both are two of the best you can buy off the shelf for a reasonable amount of money. Do keep in mind, the diagram is of Echo PowerBlend, which is a primarily conventional 2-stroke oil, while the RedArmor is the "premium synthetic."

I personally use premixed ethanol free fuel, due to the fact that ethanol-blended pump gas goes bad in about a month's time, and I don't chug through tanks on my OPE. I'd be more concerned about ethanol damage of your fuel system components than that of which quality name brand oil is better.

Enjoy the new trimmer. I can say while I am a Stihl man, Echo makes a better trimmer. True 2-strokes (not some of the stihl 4-cycle - but-uses-2-cycle-fuel-and-valves motors available on commercial models) that just seem to run smoother and rev higher than a comparable Stihl.

Either way, take care of it. Replace the air/fuel filters and plug in a reasonable time, do not let ethanol fuel sit in there and it should last you a long time!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back