GM 2500

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone explain why it is that GM will not offer a 6.2 motor in a 2500 truck? I like my 6.0 but with the 6.2 having better TQ and HP numbers.seems odd that they will only offer the 6.2 in a 1500. Opinions please.

GM certainly let the old 6.0 get stale over the years.

In my opinion GM got lazy and decided they didn't want to de-content and lower the compression of the 6.2 just to stick in the HD's when in hindsight they were developing the all new iron block 6.6 gas engine for the HD's.

Fleet customers certainly always request simplicity, easy maintenance, and longevity and the old 6.0 had that in spades. despite being long in tooth, if you follow TFLtruck, the old 6.0 was still competitive when compared to the offerings from ford and FCA.

With that being said the new 6.6 should be a welcome change at 401 HP and 464 ft/lbs tq, I guess we shall see.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Tman220
Fleet customers certainly always request simplicity, easy maintenance, and longevity and the old 6.0 had that in spades. despite being long in tooth, if you follow TFLtruck, the old 6.0 was still competitive when compared to the offerings from ford and FCA.
The fact that the 6.0 is almost 20 years old and Ford and Mopar still can't design anything better tells you all you need to know. No one is swapping 5.4s or Hemis into things like they do with LS series GM V8s.

The 6.2L is not cast in a Iron form.....Aluminum only. Even if GM decided to cast them in Iron, All that is gained is a larger bore 4.065" vs 4.000".

Like 02SE alluded to.....The duty cycle will not permit the high compression ratio that 6.2L engines have......The lowest being 10.9:1 & requires premium fuel.
9.6:1 is about the ideal CR for a LSx in heavy duty use, So the gains are probably neglectable.

GM has a 6.6L HD engine now......With a longer stroke to take full advantage of increased displacement on a HD engine.

Last edited:
BTW.....I've built some stroked 6.0L's for HD trucks, A 4.000" Stroke & a 4.020" Bore works out to roughly 6.6L, So technically.....Us "Hotrodders" were doing this long before GM saw the light.

One had a Magnuson Radix Blower with 9.0:1 CR & a good 93octane tune......The chassis dyno couldn't hold it down low, It was a HOSS!!!!

Originally Posted by P10crew
Can someone explain why it is that GM will not offer a 6.2 motor in a 2500 truck? I like my 6.0 but with the 6.2 having better TQ and HP numbers.seems odd that they will only offer the 6.2 in a 1500. Opinions please.

Your wishes have been answered. For 2020, the venerable 6.0 has been dropped and now you can get a 6.6 liter gas engine.

My daily UPS delivery brown truck is now a GM 6.0 gas instead of Cummins B series diesel.
That tells you something about comparative costs and durability of the 6.0.
Has anybody noticed that new 7.2 gasser from Ford looks suspiciously like a GM LS motor? Maybe those pushrods were pretty good after all.

Primarily this vehicle is used by people that need to carry or tow a lot of weight in their business. Jack rabbit starts at the stop light, and the ability to change lanes and quickly pass other slower vehicles on the multi lane highways are not priorities like with the motoring public that prefers a heavy duty truck as their daily driver.

Reliability and cost are the primary concerns of the majority of the purchasers of these vehicles. I infer that GM understands its markets for this vehicle and uses this engine to maximize profits for the entire 2500 & 3500 line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back