Bad new parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
How do you know the coil is bad?
How many miles on the car?

No spark from it or the first new one. The 2nd new one fixed the dead miss and p0302 code. 88,000 Miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Chris142
Originally Posted by bullwinkle
What vehicle, and what brand was the part?

08 mazda cx7. O'Riley's import direct part.

I would use a junkyard coil before I would use a store brand coil

Originally Posted by zzyzzx

That's assuming that there was one of these cars in the yard.

If this is a customers car, why not get a brand name part? They are paying for it anyway. [censored], even on my own cars I wouldn't use a noname part unless it's a beater.

Originally Posted by atikovi
If this is a customers car, why not get a brand name part? They are paying for it anyway. [censored], even on my own cars I wouldn't use a noname part unless it's a beater.

Bosses daughter's car. I just work here.

Originally Posted by zzyzzx

That's assuming that there was one of these cars in the yard.
That's assuming they haven't been picked already of which there is a 90% chance. That's the most common missing part on yard cars.

The general public is full of cheapskates......Add in the fact that most do not budget for unforeseen auto repairs, Or any maintenance for that matter doesn't help.

I've said this before......I write 2 estimates, One with OE parts, And one with cheap crap.
I WILL NOT cover any labor warranty when using cheap junk.....I didn't make/manufacture it! You are entitled to a free replacement part within the warranty period.

There are exceptions.....Like reboxed OE parts, IF I can verify that it's a "rebox"......You get full Parts & Labor warranty.
As an example, I did a Timing Chain job on a 3.5L Ecoboost F-150. The Melling timing kit had FOMOCO parts in it. The customer will receive full warranty!
It was a $400 kit....The cheap chinese kit's are about $170. Ford makes you buy everything individually.

Brand name doesn't mean anything.....There could be different tiers to a brand!

Last edited:

Never heard of that brand.

Sure, it's the boss' daughter's car... but would the boss want the car to be fixed properly the first time? Sometimes getting the right part takes time, which may mean waiting a day or 2 for a reputable brand part to come in, ie NGK. If the boss is willing to use no-name parts for the sake of time, that's his problem, and hopefully shouldn't get penalized for it.

Or could of spent more money buying the coil from the Mazda dealership.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by maxdustington
That's assuming they haven't been picked already of which there is a 90% chance. That's the most common missing part on yard cars.

You wont find much these days in the yards that has not been picked clean the minute it got there if its a common item, ebay used parts sellers get them quick.

Originally Posted by clinebarger

The general public is full of cheapskates......Add in the fact that most do not budget for unforeseen auto repairs, Or any maintenance for that matter doesn't help.
I've said this before......I write 2 estimates, One with OE parts, And one with cheap crap.
I WILL NOT cover any labor warranty when using cheap junk.....I didn't make/manufacture it! You are entitled to a free replacement part within the warranty period.
There are exceptions.....Like reboxed OE parts, IF I can verify that it's a "rebox"......You get full Parts & Labor warranty.
As an example, I did a Timing Chain job on a 3.5L Ecoboost F-150. The Melling timing kit had FOMOCO parts in it. The customer will receive full warranty!
It was a $400 kit....The cheap chinese kit's are about $170. Ford makes you buy everything individually.
Brand name doesn't mean anything.....There could be different tiers to a brand!

I am usually just the opposite....I generally ask if there is a "better" wheel bearing, brake pad, strut or shock, or whatever that the shop could use.
Usually the answer is that whatever they have on hand is basically the same as any other part they could get.

Of course, I am aware that one thing is not necessarily better than a similar thing due to being a higher price and/or a particular brand, but I try to let shops know that I am more interested in a repair that is going to last and give me fewer headaches in the future as opposed to one that is the cheapest possible right now. I think usually they just want to get my car out of their shop as soon as they can so they can move on to something else that is waiting, though.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat

Never heard of that brand.

That's what orieys carries here. Supposed to be OE parts. Both the new defective and the new standard motor products from pep boys that did work were made in Poland as was the oe coil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Trav
Originally Posted by maxdustington

You wont find much these days in the yards that has not been picked clean the minute it got there if its a common item, ebay used parts sellers get them quick.

Very interesting info...the interwebz has certainly opened up new ways for people to make a buck, whether for the better or not IDK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back